UConn/Stanford analysis - how'd I do?? | The Boneyard

UConn/Stanford analysis - how'd I do??

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
PG – Doty (5’10) vs Kokenis (5’11”). Too early to use this years stats. UConn doesn’t even have them up. This will really be the first time Kokenis faces UConn as she only played 7 minutes last year. The reality is that these two are very similar players. Kokenis hasn’t seen the defense she will see on Monday. Way too much speed for her. And Caroline’s fire and experience give UConn the advantage.

For this game at least, I called this wrong. It was a push, with a slight advantage for Kokenis. Caroline is still a little rusty.

SG – Hartley (5’7”, errr, 5’9) vs LaRoque (5’8). Harley has had an uneven start, but she can do it all from the guard position. Shooting great so far and shot great last year, so she is just continuing her improvement. LaRoque is a weak link. Not particularly quick, Hartley will have her way with her, unless Stanford covers her with Kokenis. That won’t work either. HUGE advantage UConn.

Right on here. But this was an easy call.

C – Dolson (6’5”) vs N. Ogumike (6’2”) Probably the most intriguing matchup of the game. N.O. is just a flat out star. She can dominate the game from the foul line in. The question is will her quickness allow her to successfully cover Dolson. Dolson will need a lot of help covering N.O. for sure. Got to give the advantage to Stanford here, but we all could be surprised/happy on how effective Dolson is in this game.

I'd say that I got this one right. I'm sure we are all happy about Dolson tonight. And UConn gave her plenty of help, but those 4 blocks were on her own.

PF – Faris (5’11”) vs C. Ogumike (6’3”). Oh boy. Very tough matchup for Kelly. C.O. is just an awesome player. Kelly will have to be at her best in blocking out. But expect LOTS of putbacks for C.O. Really looking forward to see how Faris deals with this. Advantage Stanford on this one.

I would call this a wash. CO didn't score much but she did have 12 rebounds a 3 offensive. But Kelly did a great job here.

SF – Hayes (5’10) vs Greenfield (6’3”). Greenfield will struggle staying in front of Hayes. And she is a freshman on a big stage for the first time. This is a great opportunity for Hayes to show everyone that she can play in the big game. Gotta give this one to Tiff. Advantage Uconn.

Other than the bad shooting pct, Hayes dominated this matchup. Greenfield was a non-factor. Got this one right.

Bench – Stokes (6’3”), Lewis (6’), Banks (5’9), Buck (6’3”) vs Orrange (5’8”), Tinkle (6’3”) and Boothe (6’5”). Based on minutes of the first two games, I wouldn’t include any of the other Stanford players. 1 or 2 minutes each for those. While I liked how Orrange looked in the Texas game, she was not very good in the 2nd game. Tinkle and Boothe are too slow to contribute that much. Lewis is a star in the making if not already there. Her talent is off the charts. Banks is similar to Orrange in being a speedy type guard. That might be a fun matchup. And Uconn’s bench bigs will do well against the Stanford bench bigs. Advantage UConn.

Booth was effective in the low post. That was about it. Not good defensively. I totally missed the play of Camp coming into this game. But I don't feel badly about it. Geno missed it two. If they meet again, don't count on her being so open. And thanks you Ms. Lewis for making my analysis look good.

Coaching staff. – Two HOFers. Tough to pick an advantage here. But I think Geno is just a little bit better coach. Slight advantage UConn.

I think Geno outcoached Tara tonight. Loved his variety of defenses.

Intangibles – Home court here will be worth at least 5 points this year. Stanford’s backcourt will struggle mightily with the speed of Uconn and the loud crowd will just make it worse. And with many players remembering last years loss, revenge is always a good motivator.

Right on here. Not sure about the revenge though. They just played reallly hard tonight.

So, in summary, I would give UConn the edge. I think if they can do a solid job on the boards, UConn will win by double digits. Stanford can keep it close with a great offensive rebounding effort. They certainly are capable of that. UConn is a MUCH better shooting team, especially from deep. If they are hot, look out. UConn runs away with it at the end.

Well, they did the job on the boards and won by double digits, so I'm giving myself a big ole pat on the back...lol.

It was great to meet UConnCat tonight! Just too brief.

And Nan, you look like you are ready to film the next Kill Bill movie....wow!!!!

Always good see Kib (no, KML is not starting..lol) and the Mrs.

And Biff, JS, MikeBraddock, TonyC, and whoever else I left out!!!

Great game, great crowd. This team is FF material. No doubt in my mind.

Next analysis....A&M.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back, guy, you have more of these to write. ;) Well done.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back, guy, you have more of these to write. Well done.
Well, after reading it again this moring that was really egotistical. My bad!

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

Nah! When you got it flaunt it - just be ready for incoming if you get it wrong.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
No, I thought both your analysis and these follow up comments were accurate and objective. Very good job.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Great job DD. Who knew that Jasmine Camp would shoot the ball so well?!? It was wonderful meeting so many BYers, some for the first time (DD, Huskynan, Pinotbear). I see another trip up to Hartford in my future. BTW, I thought the crowd was very good last night. Not a full house but pretty loud (radio said about 13,700) and appreciative of the effort. I hope the team's play last night draws more fans to games. This team is fun to watch.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
"Beyond category."
- Duke Ellington's classic quote

Reaction Score
It was already a very good pre-game analysis even if the game had not played out as you had predicted.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Nah! When you got it flaunt it - just be ready for incoming if you get it wrong.
ALl the incoming will happen after I have already chastised myself. If I was wrong with this game, I would have posted about that.

Sheesh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul