UConn Staff Crushing It | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Staff Crushing It

Reaction Score
Randy Edsall is doing a better job than Randy Edsall (v1.0)

We got lots of gems in his earlier recruiting classes. And these are far different times for Rivals, Scout, 247, HUDL. You actually have decent evaluators, in those services, that have coached or something and not ... a basement internet God. But, HCRE came in with a solid enthusiastic staff of guys that had been in recruiting in THIS market. With the SEC coach. With a Cincinnati Coach. With a guy from Coastal Carolina. Recruiting Coordinator from UAlbany and Fordham. And Terry Richardson. The Data base was in place ... and the Maryland past was seemingly very helpful on a good 4-6. Young Edsall with eyes west of the Mississippi. All in all ... this is good.

Yes. I like that they immediately got buy-in from the guys that Diaco had commitments from. Goes to show they handled that diplomatically. And that includes Dickens in mind ... cause Dickens was a Hobbs was a Bytchek was a Cummings. They lost guys that played a tall DE or the ILB prototype different than Crocker plays or Edsall wants. The Fit.

Again ... Edsall 1.0 also brought in a ton of DB/ATHs. Why? Special teams in 2003-2009 were loaded with kids that could play. Fast and good tacklers. Remember Terry Baltimore as a gunner?

I am happy and I think that is across the board here on ye ole BY.

For years, we always had good gunners. I couldn't even tell you who our gunners were the last few.

I really do yearn for the days when I paid more attention to every detail of the games. Hopefully, those days will be back.

Reaction Score
Only 3 of UCONN's commits (Swenson, Holmes & McAfee) are even ranked by all 4 of the services. That hurts the class ranking for sure. How many of the sites have even watched these guys tape?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Glass 1/2 full: I do think there are some pleasant surprises in the class and certainly a coaching change can be tough

Glass 1/2 empty: Rankings wise this is the worst class in the AAC and the worst UConn class in the last 10 years or more

Going forward though I think Edsall and Lashlee will get it back good

You are a broken record... fits your gloom and doom narrative, though.

"Glass 1/2 empty: Rankings wise this is the worst class in the AAC" Wrong. USF is in the midst of a dumpster fire, with all of their attrition to Oregon.

"and the worst UConn class in the last 10 years or more" Wrong. Last year was much MUCH worse. Some of the other years suspect, too.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Is it me or does something not add up? As someone who barely posts here but reads the board all of the time, I am surprised that I don't see anyone really digging into this all that much. When you start to connect the dots, a lot of things just don't make a lot of sense to me. I wasn't thrilled when it was announced that RE was coming back but since the press conference I have been completely onboard. After RL was announced as OC, I was beyond thrilled but incredibly confused as to why someone my exact age would take a substantial six figure paycut to come be an assistant (and move his young family) in an area of the country that he has zero familiarity with for a team that had the worst offense in all of college football. Granted there's nowhere to go but up, but to hear that RL was originally contacted to be HC but "wasn't interested" and later opted for the OC job instead and now RE was contacted as early as last spring, something just isn't making sense to me and there has got to be a lot more going on than meets the eye in my opinion.

I could be looking into this way too far but does anyone think that Randy sees this as a 2-3 year opportunity to make good with the UConn fanbase, rid himself of any lingering guilt, and then sail into the sunset by leaving the keys with RL? It just seems to me that when you look at his twitter and he had Florida set as his home location (already having one foot in the door for retirement), saying at his press conference that the only HC job he'd ever do again would be UConn, his desire to finish up the playoff stint with the Lions and not come immediately to UConn (which seemed a little uncharacteristic but I guess I understood), to letting RL have complete autonomy, etc. that it just isn't the same guy. He was an absolute control freak/micro-manager and I don't understand how a man at that age could change that drastically, unless it's just a different agreed upon role pitched by AD Dave. I'm just thoroughly confused (in a good way). But I really wonder if this is really RL's team.

I think it is fair to wonder exactly what happened and what is the plan. We probably won't know how we got here, but I would think this has a lot of moving parts and the timing with RE, and especially RL, was just good. It feels like it got to the point at Auburn that Malzahn strongly urged RL to take another opportunity, and when other P5 opportunities didn't materialize, DB convinced RL that being OC at UConn would position him for a HC job and that RE would give him full control. Being OC with total control would look better on his resume than partial control under Malzahn.

Who knows that RE is thinking now. Maybe he wants to be an AD and DB told him that his plan is move on after a couple years and then RE can be AD and RL can be HC. These types of plans hardly ever work because there are too many variables that can wreak havoc on the plan.

However we got here, it feels like things couldn't have worked out better for UConn football. And I don't remember the last time I could say that...lol.

Reaction Score
Is it me or does something not add up?

He was an absolute control freak/micro-manager and I don't understand how a man at that age could change that drastically, unless it's just a different agreed upon role pitched by AD Dave. I'm just thoroughly confused (in a good way). But I really wonder if this is really RL's team.
To your point about micromanaging and prior control freak behavior: you want your people to own what they do and unleash their creativeness and enthusiasm. We live and learn as leaders and at some point you learn that a lighter touch usually produces better results as long as everyone is on the same page and pulling in the same direction. HCRE2.0 may have adjusted his approach after learning this via that great teacher called experience.

Reaction Score

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
The AAC only has 2 4 star or better players, the idea Aresco calls it the P6 is just laughable.
Right, because the number of stars on high school recruits determined by "independent sources" whose primary goal is to drive subscriptions with college fan bases is what defines a program. On-field performance, NFL alums - all just window dressing.

Reaction Score
I could be looking into this way too far but does anyone think that Randy sees this as a 2-3 year opportunity to make good with the UConn fanbase, rid himself of any lingering guilt, and then sail into the sunset by leaving the keys with RL? It just seems to me that when you look at his twitter and he had Florida set as his home location (already having one foot in the door for retirement), saying at his press conference that the only HC job he'd ever do again would be UConn, his desire to finish up the playoff stint with the Lions and not come immediately to UConn (which seemed a little uncharacteristic but I guess I understood), to letting RL have complete autonomy, etc. that it just isn't the same guy. He was an absolute control freak/micro-manager and I don't understand how a man at that age could change that drastically, unless it's just a different agreed upon role pitched by AD Dave. I'm just thoroughly confused (in a good way). But I really wonder if this is really RL's team.

During one of Athletic Director Dave's interviews on Joe D and Gresh, he gave a hypothetical scenario of Edsall being here for five years. I was surprised that he said that. I think it was in the context of always having a list of prospective coaches at the ready.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
For years, we always had good gunners. I couldn't even tell you who our gunners were the last few.

I really do yearn for the days when I paid more attention to every detail of the games. Hopefully, those days will be back.

I turned the TV off vs Tulane when they scored 14. First time ever.

I yearn for the days when a 14 point first quarter deficit wasn't insurmountable.

PS: We scored 13 that game.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I turned the TV off vs Tulane when they scored 14. First time ever.

I yearn for the days when a 14 point first quarter deficit wasn't insurmountable.

PS: We scored 13 that game.

First year at the Rent, with Orlovsky, we fell behind 21-0 to Western Michigan. I remember that a friend could't understand why my son and I weren't panicked. We ended up winning fairly comfortably.

I want those days back.

Reaction Score
Glass 1/2 full: I do think there are some pleasant surprises in the class and certainly a coaching change can be tough

Glass 1/2 empty: Rankings wise this is the worst class in the AAC and the worst UConn class in the last 10 years or more

Going forward though I think Edsall and Lashlee will get it back good
In a matter of weeks Randy took this recruiting class up past 25% of the league and jumped us ~30 spots nationally. Given the time frame, remaining availability of recruits, and the barren desert of a class Diaco had assembled, he's done a phenomenal job.

Reaction Score
Standing O for the job they've done. But I guarantee they aren't satisfied and will be moving forward with this class as a springboard in areas where we want to maintain a presence. We don't need miracles next year, just a coherent plan that shows progress and generates enthusiasm for the fans. A Bowl game would be nice though.

Reaction Score
Because last Spring Diaco had just come off a turn around season where he got this team to it's first bowl game in 4 years so there was optimism that he may do even better in 2016. Benedict, just starting, could only cross his fingers and pray Diaco actually knew what he was doing.
What a revelation! :rolleyes: I'll g o r e a l s l o w, r e a d t h e p o i n t I w a s a d d r e s s i n g b e f o r e p o s t i n g. ;)

Reaction Score
Not here to attack this thread or Husky1964...Just a little on this comment. I like how the last minute recruiting is going. My point is if David was talking to Randy in the spring why did he wait so long to pull the trigger. I would love to hear the source on that one. DB was pretty sweet on BD back in May.....
Benedict's First Big Move At UConn: Extending Diaco's Contract Through 2020
Someone proactive does not hand over the schools bank roll to a coach he is already looking to replace. Sorry but the financial cost to the school and how everything went down would render DB an idiot if it were fact.
If he made a mistake his best move was to admit to being overwhelmed with everything that was in place before being hired. If he was talking with Randy that long ago one would think he fires Diaco the day the season ends so as not to put the new regime under such recruiting duress.

The source is Athletic Director Dave himself. He says so right at the beginning of this video. He talked to Randy Edsall in his first month on the job. Also a lot of good info in this video as to why he hired Randy Edsall.

Reaction Score
I'm not a fan of RE, he failed at Maryland and this is his only job offer. Diaco was a disaster and RE is somewhat of an upgrade, but I would have hired Don Brown.

Reaction Score
I'm not a fan of RE, he failed at Maryland and this is his only job offer. Diaco was a disaster and RE is somewhat of an upgrade, but I would have hired Don Brown.

Don doesn't want to be a head coach anymore, and he's making more than Edsall is at Michigan.

Brown should have been hired instead of P in 2011, but that ship sailed . . .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom