UConn staff and High School Coaches | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn staff and High School Coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I saw Newsome play last year (as a Freshman behind Dobbs) and this year. I have heard (and you can tell just by looking at him) that he put on about 20 lbs. from last year to this year, with a lot if it in his legs. The difference between he and Dobbs is that if Newsome gets one step beyond the line of scrimmage 99% of the time you are not going to catch him. I would love to know his actual weight. I have seen it listed anywhere from 150 to 170. For his size, he actually runs hard and is much harder to tackle this year.

I am wondering if anyone knows his eligibility status for his Sr. year? I have heard that he is 17 right now. It's my understanding that you can't play at HS at 19 but don't know the specifics.

Reaction Score
I won't take anything away from Newsome. But from what I understand Ansonia has a monster offensive line (which should at least get some credit as well for Newsome's success) this year and much of that line graduates this year. I'm interested to see what Newsome's stats are next year. I'm not saying they won't be as impressive. I'm just saying I'm interested to see how it pans out.

Reaction Score
It's a no-brainer that the state university's football coach should have good relationship with the state's HS coaches, especially when that university has the only big time program in a small state.
But the weight being put on that relationship in a state that produces 10-15 FBS players a year is way out of whack. Everyone likes to kill RE because he had a less than perfect relationships with the state coaches. But remember, a lot of those guys - the living definition of an old boys network - weren't giving him the time of day until the shovels were in the ground in East Hartford. Was Edsall wrong for not overlooking those slights when UConn finally had all the big-time bells and whistles? Yes, but on the other hand, I don't expect the Mass HS coaches will be formally assisting UMass in their coaching search. I'm still appalled by the arrogant self-importance that went into the formal endorsement of PP. That letter would have been laughed off south of the Mason-Dixon line.
Six coaches at The Rent sounds like 2-3 too many to me. Lots of playoff games still going on in the south.
BTW, Newsome is a freak. If Darren Sproles can make it, so can he.

I'm not an advocate of UConn taking CT players just because they're from CT. I think UConn has to go after the best players they can. Just the same I think it's the obligation of the HS coaches to assist their athlete in making the best choice for them. It would obviously be nice to have those two come together, and a coaching staff should pay attention to their own back yard where they should have a recruiting advantage. Edsall did land some CT guys (nobody wants to admit it), quality players like Lutrus and Trevardo Williams who weren't heralded but turned out to be pretty good players. Edsall also landed some CT kids that either didn't pan out or just didn't become stars. he didn't exactly ignore the state, but there were a good number of guys that got away. It happens.

What was the exact nature of Edsall's relationship with these coaches that became so sour? Who knows. Only they do I'm sure. I do know from speaking to a few coaches that there were some pretty good CT athletes that didn't even get a look, and they wound up at D-1 programs elsewhere. And I think that's mostly what the HS coaches were looking for, is a staff that would show interest if the athlete warranted it. PP has done that in the past and fostered a good relationship, and I think the staff showing at these games was just more of that. Nothing bad here at all.

Reaction Score
I'd also add that McCombs would have had 200 more yards (at least) this year if he didn't trip on the grass in the open field or get caught from behind all of the time.

Long runs also show the ability to outrun people. Something that Brown and Todman have that McCombs doesn't. So they do mean something.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.900261,-73.859478

Reaction Score
I'm still appalled by the arrogant self-importance that went into the formal endorsement of PP. That letter would have been laughed off south of the Mason-Dixon line.
Six coaches at The Rent sounds like 2-3 too many to me. Lots of playoff games still going on in the south.
BTW, Newsome is a freak. If Darren Sproles can make it, so can he.

didn't he get these letters from coaches associations in New Jersey and New York also? i know neither of those is south of the M-D, but since they all did it i assume it's not that crazy of a gesture. as for 6 coaches being too many, if they're in the area, why not go? i thinks it's great that they're building good will with the state.

Reaction Score
I'd also add that McCombs would have had 200 more yards (at least) this year if he didn't trip on the grass in the open field or get caught from behind all of the time.

Long runs also show the ability to outrun people. Something that Brown and Todman have that McCombs doesn't. So they do mean something.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.900261,-73.859478

Oh, oh. Don't let Biz read this. You're gonna get the "sense of entitlement" lecture.
Again, I really like McCombs, but he does lack for the time being that ability to outrun people like Brown & Todman had.

Reaction Score
Speaking of the high school playoffs, can we please move them out of Rentschler field in the future...2300 for Cromwell-Holy Cross, just over 9000 for the Saturday games in total. Move these games to a more appropriate location/locations. someplace where a crowd of 3500 packs the place and seems like it rocks. You want to play in college stadiums, I get that. But Trinity (Capacity 6500), Central CT (Capacity 3500), Southern Connecticut (Capacity 6000) would be far more appropriate for this type of event. And both Trinity and Jess Dow Field have artifical surfaces which while maybe not a huge deal this year, could be important in other seasons. My guess is that it is parents who are more excited about playing at Rentschler. the kids would play in a parking lot if they had to.

Reaction Score
SCSU and Strong Stadium have brand new turf fields and have always been great venues for the HS finals. I couldn't agree more. Capacity at CCSU seems a bit light. When they had a final at Willowbrook Park (Cheshire vs. Glastonbury) it worked great even though it's not a turf field (great stands, multiple gates, multiple snack bars).

Reaction Score
If you didn't watch the game, maybe you should before you spout that nonsense. Take away 3 runs and it's 39 carries for about 180 yards. Ansonia doesn't take its foot off the gas. He played the entire game. It was a mismatch, but most of his runs were only 4-5 yards behind a big o-line. I'm not ready to anoint him the savior of UConn football yet.... but I'm hopeful.

I dont think he played much after the opening play of the 2nd half in the Berlin game - and he had 300+ yards then too. 2nd string D played most of the 2nd half too. Thanks to the 50 pt rule (and rightfully so), Ansonia pulls him and other top guys very early in games.... scores and personal stats could be much bigger than they were.

You make it sound like Ansonia was padding the score and stats. I didnt see the Ledyard game but I believe it was 12-0 at half and only 18-0 after 3 qtrs....plenty of justification to keep him in the game. I didn't see much discussion of Xavier throwing for TD late int he 4th when they were up by 30+ points

Reaction Score
SCSU and Strong Stadium have brand new turf fields and have always been great venues for the HS finals. I couldn't agree more. Capacity at CCSU seems a bit light. When they had a final at Willowbrook Park (Cheshire vs. Glastonbury) it worked great even though it's not a turf field (great stands, multiple gates, multiple snack bars).
I was jsut throwing out alternatives. I also don't think Central Connecticut's stadium has turf or lights, though I admit I haven't been there in a while. I agree that Strong is a nice venue that works very well. Trinity has a really nice 6000 seat stadium if you could get to use it. Don't know if it has lights, but many of the NESCAC fields do for late season practice though they don't play games at night. They host a major track event in the spring so they have allowed high schools to use it. My theory is that the kids want the extra thrill of playing on college fields for the state title. I have no problem with that. I think opening the Rent for 2500 fans is beyond silly. Play the games at venues that are sized appropriately to the crowds they draw. There are also a number of pretty nice high school facilities around that could work, too.

Reaction Score
If you are trying to be big time act big time. Here in Alabama the High School championship finals alternate between Bryant-Denny(Bama) and Jordan-Hare(Auburn) Max crowds are around 15-20,000 which get lost in either stadium but the players love it.

Reaction Score
If you are trying to be big time act big time. Here in Alabama the High School championship finals alternate between Bryant-Denny(Bama) and Jordan-Hare(Auburn) Max crowds are around 15-20,000 which get lost in either stadium but the players love it.
John,
Here in Connecticut high school championships average less than 3000. TOTAL attendance for ALL GAMES COMBINED was less than 12,000. You can still play at college stadiums, but smaller more appropriate fo rthe size of th ecrowds. As I said, I think it is much more the coaches and the parents who want to brag about playing at the Rent. the kids would be just as happy at any place with a 100 yard field and two goal posts.

Reaction Score
John,
Here in Connecticut high school championships average less than 3000. TOTAL attendance for ALL GAMES COMBINED was less than 12,000. You can still play at college stadiums, but smaller more appropriate fo rthe size of th ecrowds. As I said, I think it is much more the coaches and the parents who want to brag about playing at the Rent. the kids would be just as happy at any place with a 100 yard field and two goal posts.

Playing at the biggest stadium with the best facilities in the state doesn't get kids amped up? I don't think you're in touch with this generation if you don't think these kids would play "in a parking lot".

Besides, it can't hurt to get kids used to playing in front of a quarter filled stadium, it will get the better ones all the more excited to take the field for UConn in front of a half filled stadium.

Reaction Score
As a fan I'd rather have them at a small venue that seems packed. I'd say the average attendance is probably more than 3000 per game but it depends on who is playing. Biggest crowds are around the 5000 mark.
I can see how it's a great experience for the players though to play in a top notch stadium. NJ Parochials play at the Meadowlands. NY PSAL plays at Yankee Stadium. I think eastern Mass Super Bowl is at Gillette.

Reaction Score
As a fan I'd rather have them at a small venue that seems packed. I'd say the average attendance is probably more than 3000 per game but it depends on who is playing. Biggest crowds are around the 5000 mark.
I can see how it's a great experience for the players though to play in a top notch stadium. NJ Parochials play at the Meadowlands. NY PSAL plays at Yankee Stadium. I think eastern Mass Super Bowl is at Gillette.

I can agree with a lot of what you're getting at. Looking at it from UConn's standpoint, though... UConn basically gets a free visit day to the locker rooms, the field with the lights, crowd, albeit small, for some of the best football players in the state. Tell me that doesn't do a little something for a kid to even take the field and imagine 20k in the stands, another 10k on the concourse and the other 10k of their classmates still drinking in the parking lot at kickoff? Seriously though I think it might add to the aura of the next level that is UConn for some of these kids who are being recruited.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
To play a little devils advocate, Brown didn't always outrun the defense. Only players that I can remember that rarely got tackled from behind in the open field during their whole career at UConn were LT, TC and NW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
To play a little devils advocate, Brown didn't always outrun the defense. Only players that I can remember that rarely got tackled from behind in the open field during their whole career at UConn were LT, TC and NW

Add Robbie Frey to that list. Once he had daylight it was a sure 6.

And I would add JT during his junior year as well.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Yea, I'd add those two

Reaction Score
That is my view. Much prefer to play in front of an overflow crowd at SCSU than a crowd that seems like bbs in a boxcar. The average on Saturday was around 3000. the Friday nigh game drew 2300. Just because other states do dumb things, doesn't mean we need to copy them.

Reaction Score
That is my view. Much prefer to play in front of an overflow crowd at SCSU than a crowd that seems like bbs in a boxcar. The average on Saturday was around 3000. the Friday nigh game drew 2300. Just because other states do dumb things, doesn't mean we need to copy them.
All of the states surrounding CT are dumb? You may be correct but some group in each must feel they are geting something out of it. Just as a point of comparison do the CT high school BB finals have a permanemt home and if so where are they played?

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
the kids would be just as happy at any place with a 100 yard field and two goal posts.

I'm not too sure about that. If I were playing in the BBall state title game, I think I would rather play it at 1/4 full Gampel Pavilion than a full Detrick Gymnasium. There's just a different feel to playing on a big boy court/field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom