UConn Sophomores Kyla Irwin And Molly Bent Preparing For Year 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Sophomores Kyla Irwin And Molly Bent Preparing For Year 2

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
UConn Sophomores Kyla Irwin And Molly Bent Preparing For Year 2
or
UConn women's basketball: Sophomores Kyla Irwin, Molly Bent preparing for second year

“Both of them are more comfortable,” Auriemma said. “You see it.”

Auriemma’s first observation about Irwin this fall? “Kyla has changed her body,” Auriemma said. “She looks a lot more fit to be able to keep up. It’s allowed her to do more things on the floor. She understands that in order to have any chance to play and be contributing, she has to be able to do that.”

In fact, the challenge is harnessing Bent’s energy.
“If we can just get her to slow down,” Auriemma said. “She just goes 100 mph.”
Sounds like she suffers from the Jefferson Syndrome.

This year? Bent sees a difference. She has worked with assistant coach Shea Ralph on reading plays.
“Not to say that I’m not making mistakes, but you definitely feel more confident, you definitely feel more composed a little bit, just because not everything is new anymore,” Bent said. “So you can at least try to slow down and try to read the game as opposed to being worried about, Am I doing the right thing?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm excited for them - as the sometimes overlooked players on the team. Not placing any kind of blame, but based on performance and PT last year, they were at the bottom of the depth chart.

In any other year, when UCONN had a roster of 9-11 or so, they'd probably see more PT. However, IMHO, the depth chart goes Gabby, Lou, Napheesa, Kia, Crystal, Azura, Megan, Batouly, Mikayla, and then the remaining 4 will duke it out for who gets PT beyond the last 4-6 minutes of blowout games.

Again, not meant to be critical, just realistic based on talent/ability, fitness, potential, and performance. I hope EVERYONE earns significant PT, but that's probably not realistic. So many options. What a team!!! Fasten your seat belts - the UCONN train is ready to steamroll out of the station!!

Reaction Score
There is an old adage, "Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill." I think Kyla and Molly will be higher on the depth chart than the freshmen simply as a result of their first year experience. As the year goes on that may change, but don't sell these two short.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm excited for them - as the sometimes overlooked players on the team. Not placing any kind of blame, but based on performance and PT last year, they were at the bottom of the depth chart.

In any other year, when UCONN had a roster of 9-11 or so, they'd probably see more PT. However, IMHO, the depth chart goes Gabby, Lou, Napheesa, Kia, Crystal, Azura, Megan, Batouly, Mikayla, and then the remaining 4 will duke it out for who gets PT beyond the last 4-6 minutes of blowout games.

Again, not meant to be critical, just realistic based on talent/ability, fitness, potential, and performance. I hope EVERYONE earns significant PT, but that's probably not realistic. So many options. What a team!!! Fasten your seat belts - the UCONN train is ready to steamroll out of the station!!

I expect Molly and Coombs to duke it out for guard minutes. We need them both IMO.

Reactions: HGN
Reaction Score

"talent/ability, fitness, potential, and performance".

I agree with you that the incoming freshmen may have higher talent/ability and potential but I am not convinced they are all fitter and have shown better performance (I'll reserve judgement until I see them play). My impression is that almost all freshman underestimate the demands and pace of the practices and games. They may think they are putting in enough effort but more is demanded of them (ask Crystal). Molly and Kyla are already better than last year and don't forget Gabby (freshman) wasn't nearly as good until she realized the amount of work she needed to put in.

That being said, I share your enthusiasm for the team and season and can't wait to see them suit up.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I thought that during the last month last season, Irwin did not play in the least intimidated. She won't be the star, but she seemed ready to be a contributor who isn't a liability when on the floor, especially if teamed with more of the regulars and against most of their opposition. She seems to be a good, willing shooter and doesn't mind mixing it up underneath.

Reaction Score
I thought that during the last month last season, Irwin did not play in the least intimidated. She won't be the star, but she seemed ready to be a contributor who isn't a liability when on the floor, especially if teamed with more of the regulars and against most of their opposition. She seems to be a good, willing shooter and doesn't mind mixing it up underneath.
I agree. I like Kyla. Comes in shoots 3s, not afraid to score, and is the team's designated pre-game rapper.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree. I like Kyla. Comes in shoots 3s, not afraid to score, and is the team's designated pre-game rapper.
What? Kyla got mic skillz? Is there video? Audio?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This relates to the question that I raised during the offseason. All 4 freshmen are more highly ranked than Molly and Kyla were. Generally, the newbies are more athletic and/or more skilled. But Kyla and Molly have the advantage of one year of experience at UConn. Both are smart players, though not necessarily smarter than the freshmen. Kyla looks much trimmer. I believe Geno says that she has remade her body. Molly has always been in great shape and worked very hard. They understand the intensity and competitiveness that it takes to play at UConn. Geno points out that the freshmen are still learning that. Kyla and Molly also know the plays and strategy. The question is: What is the trade-off between the sophomores' experience and the newbies' greater skill level? As we go through the season, the experience gap will narrow. Even though neither Molly nor Kyla had much impact last year, I think they may have an advantage over at least some of the more highly touted freshmen, especially early on.

I thought Molly was the better player over the first third or so of last season. The last third of the season, Kyla seemed more comfortable and began making shots. I thought she ended the season as the better player of the two. I believe that Kyla hit five 3-pointers in one of the games in Italy this summer. Despite their modest recruiting rankings, both Kyla and Molly seem like contributors to me. Play smart, play hard, and have fun!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom