UConn Soccer: #2 in National Attendance | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Soccer: #2 in National Attendance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's not the head coach's responsibility to issue press releases. Heard Ray earlier speak this season - "little did I know when Lew Perkins told me after the 2000 championship that we would get a new soccer stadium that it would take 15 years and that I would have to raise all the money".

It is a coach's responsibility to promote the program, and issuing a spring or summer statement on who is joining the program the following fall is a pretty easy way of bringing attention to the team. Ray Reid is one of the few college soccer coaches that does not do this.

Reaction Score
The equivalency of Geno's WBB to Joe Marrone is being missed.

Geno came in & there was nothing. Zip. Just a few offices & Old phones. Not highly rated athletes & virtually no buzz. That, my friends, is where Joe Marrone entered in about 1970. Like Auriemma, he TOTALLY built the UConn soccer program. From the ground. In fact, Marrone built the AYSO structure & advanced youth soccer in this State and regionally. We have a National Program because of the baseline that Marrone built. Like Auriemma.

This isn't about the Women's dominance. About Winning ... Though I want that. It's about being given a legacy & not putting in the required energy.

It's crazy to me to see Reid not care enough to issue bio on his recruits. Or keep the Fans informed of what is going on. Sure First MLS draft picks. But that's also tribute to what came before. Like at Indiana or UCLA or Virginia. Reid has developed players. But ... It's been a half dozen years of weak tourney play.

To say Marrone doesn't equal Reid with metrics is NONSENSE. We have Programs at UConn. I expect that to be nurtured & grown. Not putting in the energy is grounds for reassessment.

Reaction Score
It is a coach's responsibility to promote the program, and issuing a spring or summer statement on who is joining the program the following fall is a pretty easy way of bringing attention to the team. Ray Reid is one of the few college soccer coaches that does not do this.
He has to be the only head coach at UCONN that doesn't do this. That borders on the absurd....

Reaction Score
He has to be the only head coach at UCONN that doesn't do this. That borders on the absurd....

The only other sport that I know of at UConn that usually doesn't issue a release on incoming players is baseball, and that is probably due to the team always has to cut several players from the fall ball roster to get to the NCAA imposed baseball roster limit of 35 for the spring playing season.

Reaction Score
It's the "all or nothing, give us a championship or bust" mentality that defines UConn athletics. I blame the women's BB program and its fanbase.

I don't want to respond , but I will. I guess you are one of the new breed that thinks participation is the goal. It hurts kids to know that someone is a winner? are you suggesting that UCONN would be better if Geno [and by inference, Calhoun and Ollie} hadn't built winning programs at UCONN? Off to Rutgers with you.

Reaction Score
The only other sport that I know of at UConn that usually doesn't issue a release on incoming players is baseball, and that is probably due to the team always has to cut several players from the fall ball roster to get to the NCAA imposed baseball roster limit of 35 for the spring playing season.
I thought I've seen release's from Penders on their website of the kids he signs and brings in the past.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The equivalency of Geno's WBB to Joe Marrone is being missed.

Geno came in & there was nothing. Zip. Just a few offices & Old phones. Not highly rated athletes & virtually no buzz. That, my friends, is where Joe Marrone entered in about 1970. Like Auriemma, he TOTALLY built the UConn soccer program. From the ground. In fact, Marrone built the AYSO structure & advanced youth soccer in this State and regionally. We have a National Program because of the baseline that Marrone built. Like Auriemma.

This isn't about the Women's dominance. About Winning ... Though I want that. It's about being given a legacy & not putting in the required energy.

It's crazy to me to see Reid not care enough to issue bio on his recruits. Or keep the Fans informed of what is going on. Sure First MLS draft picks. But that's also tribute to what came before. Like at Indiana or UCLA or Virginia. Reid has developed players. But ... It's been a half dozen years of weak tourney play.

To say Marrone doesn't equal Reid with metrics is NONSENSE. We have Programs at UConn. I expect that to be nurtured & grown. Not putting in the energy is grounds for reassessment.

You're whining about non-existent problems.

If people feel that he and Tom Penders (baseball; a great coach too, IMO) should be releasing the bio on the recruits, that's fine. But that is literally the ONLY thing that one can complain about when it comes to Ray Reid.

Weak tourney play??? The fact of the matter is that he makes sure we are in the tourney every year, even in a year like this where we probably had little business being there. Of all the years to complain about his performance, this was absolutely not one of them. The starting lineup of 11 players was comprised of 4 freshman, 5 sophomores, and 2 juniors. We had a couple of seniors come in off the bench (players like Leeman and Kanyo), but that was it. This was an extremely young team. And they still beat BU in the tourney before losing to Indiana.

I'm not going to get into the fact that Morrone was forced out by Lew Perkins because Morrone had multiple poor years in a row. The past is the past, and Morrone still did some great things. But to say that he was a better coach than Reid is ridiculous. And I fear you won't know what you've got until it's gone. Let's hope he's not gone anytime soon...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I don't want to respond , but I will. I guess you are one of the new breed that thinks participation is the goal. It hurts kids to know that someone is a winner? are you suggesting that UCONN would be better if Geno [and by inference, Calhoun and Ollie} hadn't built winning programs at UCONN? Off to Rutgers with you.

It's clear that you don't understand what he said, or what I said for that matter. Of course we want trophies! This is UConn. We were bred to raise trophies. It's this ridiculous notion that not hoisting the trophy is the equivalent to a crappy coaching job. That's a ridiculous notion that is shared by far too many people in Husky Nation. For a more eloquent post on this, look above and read what Whaler posted...

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Wouldn't releasing bios be the job of the SID or his staff?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Nothing is ever Ray's fault. It's the travel. It's the conference. It's the "lottery" of PK's (which is patently false) because he refuses to practice it. But its NEVER Ray's fault. Ever.

Just ask him.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I know Pudge is your buddy but Dan's post is pretty eye opening. What part was embarrassing?

Hey, I'm no Reid basher, I've been a consistant supporter on this board. But in supporting him, I've never felt the need to belittle Morrone. That's embarrassing. Questioning Morrone's status a legend is embarrassing. Intimating that because the team they beat was named Alabama A&M makes it a lesser accomplishment is embarrassing. Trying to make the point that because his later years weren't as fruitful as the earlier years makes his accomplishments less impressive is embarrassing. That's like saying, "Lombardi was no good, look what he did in Washington."

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Screw off, . You're exactly who I'm talking about, someone who feels entitled to a championship every year and cries like a little baby if it doesn't happen.

Reaction Score
Screw off, . You're exactly who I'm talking about, someone who feels entitled to a championship every year and cries like a little baby if it doesn't happen.

Ah? Aren't we in a good mood tonight? Too much to drink last night did we?
Happy New Year!

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Nothing is ever Ray's fault. It's the travel. It's the conference. It's the "lottery" of PK's (which is patently false) because he refuses to practice it. But its NEVER Ray's fault. Ever.

Just ask him.

Practice PK's. Okay.

Now I understand the problem on this board. There aren't very many soccer players. I won't bother with the discussions anymore.

By the way, Italy lost in PK's in three consecutive World Cups. I guess they never practiced it. Wow...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Hey, I'm no Reid basher, I've been a consistant supporter on this board. But in supporting him, I've never felt the need to belittle Morrone. That's embarrassing. Questioning Morrone's status a legend is embarrassing. Intimating that because the team they beat was named Alabama A&M makes it a lesser accomplishment is embarrassing. Trying to make the point that because his later years weren't as fruitful as the earlier years makes his accomplishments less impressive is embarrassing. That's like saying, "Lombardi was no good, look what he did in Washington."

I never belittled Morrone in that comment. I said if he is considered a legend, what should we consider Reid? Meaning, Reid's performance was deserving of that status and more. And I mentioned Alabama A&M as part of the changing landscape of soccer, which, if you don't believe that it has changed, then I can't help you.

But as I said in the last post, believe what you want. If you had been a consistent supporter of Reid as you've claimed, you wouldn't have read my post in any other light...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I said if he is considered a legend, what should we consider Reid? Meaning, Reid's performance was deserving of that status and more.

I would suggest you stop digging.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I know they don't practice PK's because Reid has publicly said they don't practice PK's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom