UConn Signees: Christyn W. and ONO | Page 18 | The Boneyard

UConn Signees: Christyn W. and ONO

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Solid frame. Looks like she has the tools to play either a finesse or physical game. Might surprise with her ability to defend as frosh.
Agreed. She's on record for saying she likes to play defense. We all know, however, that there is defense and then there is UCONN defense.
The other message that has sunk in for Christyn is the UCONN conditioning standard. Allegedly at least 1 of the 2017 Freshmen did not get the memo, arrive in less than ideal conditioning and fell behind as a result.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Chills. ONO. Ezi. Christyn. I'm hyperventilating. Where's my paper bag.

Reaction Score
Chills. ONO. Ezi. Christyn. I'm hyperventilating. Where's my paper bag.
Ezi is staying home, unfortunately, so Geno is going to have to lock down another big.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
ONO's high school teammates talk about her dunk contest performance:

Forward Jakayla Sullivan was the one who injured her toe. After watching Nelson-Ododa’s first dunk -- which scored a perfect 100 from the judges -- Sullivan was so ecstatic that she couldn’t stop bouncing around her room.

“I was jumping up and down so much and I hit my toe on the corner of the desk,” Sullivan said. “We were so excited. I’m OK, though, so it was worth it.”

After dunking in a game her sophomore year, the senior played it safe during her final year after missing the end of her junior season with the knee injury.

“It’s great because she came off that injury and it was really sad,” Watson said. “For her to be able to dunk and still have her vertical and stuff, it was great.”

Nelson-Ododa's dunk sends Bulldoggs into frenzy

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
In-depth interview with Olivia Nelson-Ododa's high school coach:

SCORE ATLANTA: How would you describe Olivia’s game?

KIMBERLY GARREN: Olivia’s an impact player. People see her sheer height and obviously know she’s going to be a force to be reckoned with. However, I think her strongest point is that she’s so versatile. You have to guard her from rim to rim. She can handle the ball and pressure in the backcourt. She can pop a three in your face and then she can go body you up inside, and anything in between. So she’s just hard to guard, because offensively, she has every part of the game. And then defensively, her sheer size allows teams to be able to step up pressure, and then if they get beat, knowing they have her behind them, and it’s an awesome thing for the entire team.

SA: What is her biggest strength right now?

KG: I think being able to score, catching the ball away from the basket, and being able to score away from the basket, is her biggest strength right now, catching the ball in the 15-footer range and either being able to shoot or take you to the rim. I think that’s big. She moves so well with the ball in her hand.

SA: What will she continue working on before she gets to UConn?

KG: Obviously someone like here, like most girls, working on strength and agility. And basketball skill-wise, continuting to develop that shot so that she is an automatic three-point shooter as well as an inside person. With the strength and agility comes the speed of picking up the defense, and she’s really just fine-tuning a lot of things that she’s been working on, getting ready for UConn.

SA: How will she fit in right away at UConn, which has made 11 straight Final Fours?

KG: She wanted to go to UConn, she wanted to be challenged. And she didn’t want to go where she knew she would walk in and be the best. So she’s going into a program where she knows she’ll have to earn her time. She’s seen some of the comments that have been made about the freshman class this year, and she knows she’s going to have to show it at practice. She knows that she’s going to be expected to handle the ball, she knows that she’s going to be expected to shoot and really guard people that are potentially smaller than her, obviously, because they are such a big lineup at UConn. When you go play for him, he’s going to make you a better player, I think that’s what she’s so excited about.

McDonald’s All-American Olivia Nelson-Ododa, Winder-Barrow | Score Atlanta

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom