UCONN SGs Rankings | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN SGs Rankings

Reaction Score
@RSHERMVIKES 's list made me think of an interesting question. How many games does a player have to play at a certain position to be included on the list for a certain position? Let me explain...

Ann Strother was a wing, who could be a shooting guard or small forward, depending on the lineup and matchups. In 2003 and 2004, Maria Conlon and Diana Taurasi started in the backcourt, so Strother was the de facto SF. In those same lineups, as an aside, Maria Conlon may have been designated the starting PG, but everyone knew that the primary playmaker (for herself and her teammates) was Diana Taurasi. Another aside...Strother's recruiting class was very interesting, as it had taller (especially at the time) guards/wings in Strother and Nicole Wolff and more undersized traditional post players (Barbara Turner, Wilnett Crockett), but all four players had various skills across positions.

A number of years ago, Coach K said that he does not recruit all five positions, but recruits PG, wings/perimeter players, and post players, with the goal being signing kids of have skillsets that work in all positions or who could play multiple positions on the court. And iff you look at several of Geno Auriemma's recruiting classes and signees, you see a lot of versatility - wing players who can be 2s or 3s, but who can post up smaller players; players with the height of a guard who can play in the post; de facto post players with guard skills, etc.

In any event, I am rambling. Back to my point...inAnn Strother's case, is she looked at on the list of shooting guards or the list of small forwards (or both)?
Similar for KLS & KML no? Lou particularly plays guard.

Reaction Score
Well up to date so far:

DT
Sales
Ralph
Hartley
Hayes
Nurse
Greene
Doty
Duran
Thomas/Hayes tied.

A couple more days. Get your votes in.
I vote for this list, except you have Hayes at 5 and tied for 10. I’d go with #5.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I vote for this list, except you have Hayes at 5 and tied for 10. I’d go with #5.
Yea, sorry, that was supposed to be Thomas/Strother.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Alright, times up. Here's the final for SG's

1. Diana Taurasi - 130 (perfect score)
  2. Nykesha Sales - 117 (perfect 2nd)
  3. Shea Ralph - 93
  4. Bria Hartley - 90
  5. Tiffany Hayes - 78
  6. Kia Nurse - 74
  7. Kalana Greene - 29
  8. Caroline Doty - 27
  9. Mel Thomas - 22
  10. Amy Duran - 22
So a tie there for 9th.

I'll be back with the 3's. Small Forwards, Swings. Whatever you want to call them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom