UCONN SF Rankings | The Boneyard

UCONN SF Rankings

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Sooo, here's something to do in the Off season. We'll go through and rank the players by position. This is their UCONN career. (under consideration, those that have graduated or have already made the wall) I was going to do a poll, but it doesn't really work for ranking. (it would work for "best" - but I want to go a little deeper - you wouldn't get too many arguments for best at each position, but who's 2nd, 3rd, etc. now there might be some conversations). There might be some arguments about who is what, but that'll give us some more discussion anyway.

Just list them 1-10. I'll compile the results (assign points 10-1). We'll move on to the SF's. The 3's. Swings. Here's a list to start with (wall players listed first Alphabetically, then others I thought should be considered), if you feel someone else should be in there, add them to your list. I'll give this a few days and then move on to the other positions.

Svetlana Abrosimova
Maya Moore
Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis (KML)
Katie Lou Samuelson (KLS)
Ashley Battle
Carla Barube
Kelly Faris
Kaleena Greene
Charde Houston
Ann Strother

Let's get some votes in. Lot's of people checking out the thread, not that many actually voting. This is being recorded and will be used for/against you in future arguments. Let your voice be heard.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
  1. Maya Moore
  2. Svetlana Abrosimova
  3. Katie Lou Samuelson (KLS)
  4. Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis (KML)
  5. Gabby Williams
  6. Ann Strother
  7. Carla Barube
  8. Kaleena Greene
  9. Ashley Battle
  10. Charde Houston

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’m all for off-season activities to pass the time, but I feel I must point out several inherent difficulties in comparing players who didn’t exactly fill the same roll. For instance, Kelly & Sveta were more likely 2/3’s, and Ashley & Ann 3/4’s. Of course Maya was a 1/2/3/4/5.

Also difficult to rank Lou until she completes her senior year. If it ends with a National Championship and her 3rd straight consensus 1st team AA, hard to put her anywhere but 2nd on the list.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Sooo, here's something to do in the Off season. We'll go through and rank the players by position. This is their UCONN career. (under consideration, those that have graduated or have already made the wall) I was going to do a poll, but it doesn't really work for ranking. (it would work for "best" - but I want to go a little deeper - you wouldn't get too many arguments for best at each position, but who's 2nd, 3rd, etc. now there might be some conversations). There might be some arguments about who is what, but that'll give us some more discussion anyway.

Just list them 1-10. I'll compile the results (assign points 10-1). We'll move on to the SF's. The 3's. Swings. Here's a list to start with (wall players listed first Alphabetically, then others I thought should be considered), if you feel someone else should be in there, add them to your list. I'll give this a few days and then move on to the other positions.

Svetlana Abrosimova
Maya Moore
Ashley Battle
Carla Barube
Kelly Faris
Kaleena Greene
Charde Houston
Ann Strother

Let's get some votes in. Lot's of people checking out the thread, not that many actually voting. This is being recorded and will be used for/against you in future arguments. Let your voice be heard.
Out of those ten, I'd go:
1. Maya
2. KLS
3. KML
4. Svet
5. Faris
6. Strother
7. Greene
8. Houston
9. Berube
10. Battle

If I put Gabby on here too, I'd put her at 4 after KML. If I have to pick one or the other, I'd go with including Gabby which pushes Battle out.

Reaction Score

Svetlana Abrosimova
Maya Moore
Ashley Battle
Carla Barube
Kelly Faris
Kaleena Greene
Charde Houston
Ann Strother

MayaMoore
Gabby Williams
Katie Lou Samuelson
Svetlana Abrasimova
Kaleena Greene (when she came back after injury)
Ashley Battle
Ann Strother

Charde Houston was problematic in college; only hit her stride in the pros. Kelly Faris was a guard. Ann Strother might have been better, had she a better supporting cast. But teams focused on her.
Didn't see Carla Berube play.

Reaction Score
1. Maya Moore - In the top 3 all-time UCONN players with DT & Stewie
2. Svet Abrosimova - Considering her coming to UCONN at 17 and all that goes with that she was one of the best in Division I
3. Gabby Williams - The best PURE ATHLETE ever to play at UCONN
4. KLS - Has turned her game from a SHOOTER to an great all around player
5. KML - Unbelievable 3-point shooter
6. Ashley Battle - Great comeback from severe knee injury to play junior & senior year & in WNBA
7. Kalana Greene - Great comeback from a severe knee injury to play junior & senior year & in WNBA
8. Kelly Faris - A coaches dream that maximized her ability
9. Carla Berube - Another of the UCONN players that constantly played above their level
10. Ann Strother - Didn't like being the "go-to" player loved when DT or Barbara Turner took over

Charde Houston - was too much of a ?, you never knew who would show up, the star or the lost lamb. Her natural ability was tremendous but a lot of the time she looked lost!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I’m all for off-season activities to pass the time, but I feel I must point out several inherent difficulties in comparing players who didn’t exactly fill the same roll. For instance, Kelly & Sveta were more likely 2/3’s, and Ashley & Ann 3/4’s. Of course Maya was a 1/2/3/4/5.

Also difficult to rank Lou until she completes her senior year. If it ends with a National Championship and her 3rd straight consensus 1st team AA, hard to put her anywhere but 2nd on the list.
rtyg6.jpg

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
A technicality, but Maya played the PF for most of her time at UConn. She moved to the SF as a freshman after Kalana and Mel went down with injury.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
A technicality, but Maya played the PF for most of her time at UConn. She moved to the SF as a freshman after Kalana and Mel went down with injury.
Yea, but she's a 3. Prototypical at that.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Yea, but she's a 3. Prototypical at that.

She is now, she just wasn't during her UConn career. Maya and Stewie played the same position (PF, 4) in Geno's offense.

Reaction Score
Bravo! Except swap 3 & 4. Not yet Lou!
Agreed. KML was the force that slammed the door on ND in the 2015 championship. Lou has yet to play in that game.

Reaction Score
1. Maya Moore
2. Svetlana Abrosimova
3. Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis (KML)
4. Katie Lou Samuelson (KLS)
5. Kaleena Greene
6. Ann Strother
7. Ashley Battle
8. Carla Barube
9. Kelly Faris
10. Charde Houston

Reaction Score
1. Maya Moore
2. Svetlana Abrosimova
3. Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis
4. Katie Lou Samuelson (likely jumps both Sveta and KML after senior season)
5. Ann Strother
6. Kalana Greene
7. Kelly Faris
8. Carla Barube
9. Charde Houston
10. Ashley Battle

I'm assuming we're counting Jamelle as a PF?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
She is now, she just wasn't during her UConn career. Maya and Stewie played the same position (PF, 4) in Geno's offense.
She was, she just played out of position. I'm trying to do them by what they are.

i.e. if you had a starting lineup it would be

1 - Jefferson/Bird
2 - DT
3 - Moore
4 - Stewart
5 - Charles

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
1. Maya Moore
2. Svetlana Abrosimova
3. Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis
4. Katie Lou Samuelson (likely jumps both Sveta and KML after senior season)
5. Ann Strother
6. Kalana Greene
7. Kelly Faris
8. Carla Barube
9. Charde Houston
10. Ashley Battle

I'm assuming we're counting Jamelle as a PF?
I am. You can put her wherever you want.

Reaction Score
1. Maya
2. Sveta
3. Lou
4. Kaleena
5. Ann
6. Carla
7. Kalana
8. Kelly
9. Charge
10. Ashley

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Katie Lou didn't break her own foot. Also, do you think the outcome against Syracuse would have been any different if Katie Lou had played? They might have done even better, and her three-point shooting might have kept Syracuse from making that big run.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Katie Lou didn't break her own foot. Also, do you think the outcome against Syracuse would have been any different if Katie Lou had played? They might have done even better, and her three-point shooting might have kept Syracuse from making that big run.
So you are telling us someone else broke KLS foot?

HATE.jpg

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Maya
Svet
KLS
KML
Gabby
Kelly
Ann
Kaleena
Carla
Ashley

Charde just made me pull my hair out and give a quizzical look. The few times she showed some brilliance, it just frustrated even more because she showed what she could do if she so desired.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
1.KML
2. KLS (will be #1 after next season)
3. Sveta
4. Kalana
5. Kelly

Charde was a post player (PF, 4) at UConn.

Reaction Score
1. Maya
2. Svet
3. KLS (with an excellent senior year would move up to 2)
4. KML
5. Strother
6. Greene
7. Faris
8. Berube
9. Battle
10. Houston

If considering Gabby with this group would put her at #5

Reaction Score
Out of those ten, I'd go:
1. Maya
2. KLS
3. KML
4. Svet
5. Faris
6. Strother
7. Greene
8. Houston
9. Berube
10. Battle

If I put Gabby on here too, I'd put her at 4 after KML. If I have to pick one or the other, I'd go with including Gabby which pushes Battle out.
Stunned that you could put KML ahead of Svet. Just can't see that in any way!

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Maya Moore
KML
Sveta
KLS
Kalana Green
Kelly Faris
Ann Strother
Laura Lishness
Carla Berube
Ashley Battle

It's weird to not have any starters from the 2002 team but I don't know which of Swin, Tamika, or Ashja it would be.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom