UConn Seniors & Pro BB | The Boneyard

UConn Seniors & Pro BB

Reaction Score
Random thoughts: I don't have any stats to back this up, just my eyeballs, but after digesting the SMU game, I've concluded:

Brimah is a near-total bust; he works hard, but he's learned very little during the past 4 years. He can manage to jump and occasionally block a shot, but he still has stone hands, can't control rebounds, can't actually play defense (aside from shot-blocking), and has no offense other than dunks and put-backs.

Purvis, likewise, has worked hard and been very coachable, but he's not a good shooter and handles the ball poorly.

Facey has been the most interesting of the seniors; he's clearly improved, can rebound somewhat and has some semblance of an offensive game.

So, contemplating the seniors' pro prospects, none IMO has a prayer of playing in the NBA, let alone getting drafted, but considering the lesser pro leagues, e.g., Europe, Asia, etc., how would you rate their prospects? I can see Facey maybe playing overseas, but I don't think Purvis or Brimah has a prayer.

Reaction Score
I think all will get looks and have a shot at making a summer league team. Ultimately I don't think any make the NBA but there's pieces there with each of them. All will play overseas.

Reaction Score
Random thoughts: I don't have any stats to back this up, just my eyeballs, but after digesting the SMU game, I've concluded:

Brimah is a near-total bust; he works hard, but he's learned very little during the past 4 years. He can manage to jump and occasionally block a shot, but he still has stone hands, can't control rebounds, can't actually play defense (aside from shot-blocking), and has no offense other than dunks and put-backs.

Purvis, likewise, has worked hard and been very coachable, but he's not a good shooter and handles the ball poorly.

Facey has been the most interesting of the seniors; he's clearly improved, can rebound somewhat and has some semblance of an offensive game.

So, contemplating the seniors' pro prospects, none IMO has a prayer of playing in the NBA, let alone getting drafted, but considering the lesser pro leagues, e.g., Europe, Asia, etc., how would you rate their prospects? I can see Facey maybe playing overseas, but I don't think Purvis or Brimah has a prayer.

You overestimate what it takes to play overseas.

Reaction Score
All three will play overseas, none have an NBA shot.

Gavin Edwards I believe starts for his team in Japan, the idea that Purvis and AB have no shot at playing overseas is nonsense.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Brimah is a near-total bust.

Yeah, that 250-ranked recruit totally didn't live up to expectations there. Did you know anything about Brimah besides "UConn recruited him, so he must be a star!" coming in?

Phillip Nolan and Omar Calhoun are excelling in Denmark and Finland. There is no reason any of the current three seniors cannot exceed that.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
They all have a better chance of earning $$$ playing pro ball than you do of being a quality poster.
Now that was brutal but I couldn't help laughing.

@ex-amishboy this forum is not an easy place to negotiate. But if you left your culture I'm sure you can handle it. Take if fwiw but Matrim was having fun at your expense.

Personally I see all three having successful careers in professional basket ball.

Reaction Score
I have said it before and I still believe that KF has a shot at NBA. He has the body and length and is extremely athletic and seems to expand his game every game. Jumpers, jump hooks, uses both hands, can rebound. just my humble opinon.

Reaction Score
I have said it before and I still believe that KF has a shot at NBA. He has the body and length and is extremely athletic and seems to expand his game every game. Jumpers, jump hooks, uses both hands, can rebound. just my humble opinon.
Amida is ranked 27th by Draftexpress in this senior class, Facey is not in the top 68.

DraftExpress Rankings: NCAA Seniors

Reaction Score
None will ever play in the NBA. Purvis can carve out a career in a good european league making some nice money. Brimah and Facey have no ability to pass out of double team or even away from a guard coming down just looking for a strip. They really need to figure out a way to pass and see the court, but sometimes that is just not something guys can improve at. Facey has a chance to be able to stretch the floor with a jumper which gives him an advantage over Brimah. The way the game is played now, guys like Brimah aren't very valuable.

Reaction Score
Yeah, that 250-ranked recruit totally didn't live up to expectations there. Did you know anything about Brimah besides "UConn recruited him, so he must be a star!" coming in?

Phillip Nolan and Omar Calhoun are excelling in Denmark and Finland. There is no reason any of the current three seniors cannot exceed that.
In fairness, I think most UConn fans thought Brimah would have improved more in his time here. He was on mock drafts early in his career and many posters here thought he would be a stud after watching him as a freshman. All three seniors should make pretty good coin overseas, none have a prayer at the league.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
He was on mock drafts early in his career and many posters here thought he would be a stud after watching him as a freshman.
Which says plenty about both mock drafts and the fanbase's ability to be irrational.

I love Amida and am glad he's a Husky, and he'll make a lot of money playing basketball somewhere. But nobody with his lack of balance and hands can ever be a factor in the NBA, even with his all-world length and rim-running.

"Player projections" need to be taken with a grain of salt. Just b/c Amida never became a top 30 player doesn't mean he hasn't improved or has no future.

Reaction Score
Which says plenty about both mock drafts and the fanbase's ability to be irrational.

I love Amida and am glad he's a Husky, and he'll make a lot of money playing basketball somewhere. But nobody with his lack of balance and hands can ever be a factor in the NBA, even with his all-world length and rim-running.

"Player projections" need to be taken with a grain of salt. Just b/c Amida never became a top 30 player doesn't mean he hasn't improved or has no future.
I said most fans thought he would have improved more and I said his future is overseas, not that he doesn't have a future. I like Brimah because he's a nice kid and he plays for UConn but the reality is there has been very little improvement.

Reaction Score
Purvis would be an unbelievable safety in the pros. (NFL)

Reaction Score
Just to put this in perspective, I believe every recruited scholarship player who finished up at UConn in the last 30 years has played professionally, either in the NBA or a foreign league. So of course Purvis and Brimah will be playing professionally overseas if they don't make the NBA. They'll probably be pretty good in whatever foreign league they play in.

Here's a list of all the former UConn players and where they last played.

University of Connecticut Huskies basketball, News, Roster, Rumors, Stats, Awards, Transactions, Details - usbasket.com

Do you think Brimah is better than Justin Brown, Jonathan Mandeldove, Dan Cyrulik, Antric Klaiber,Philip Nolan, Marc Suhr and Enosch Wolf? All of them played in foreign leagues.

Purvis actually could be a star in a foreign league. He's much faster and more athletic than the average players in most of these foreign leagues.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Sounds like you're having the lamest rumspringa in history.

I kid.

Of course Purvis and Brimah can play abroad in legitimate leagues.

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Regardless of their respective limitations, athletes like Purvis and 7 foot shot-blockers like Brimah don't grow on trees. Surely some club in a country like Italy or Finland will pay them a nice salary to play basketball.

Reaction Score
Well thanks Jerry for the schooling. The post didn't say who would get drafted, I don't really think Kentan will, but that does not mean he won't possibly play in the NBA. I do think we obviously look more closely at our own players and most of us are probably a bit biased, but you can not deny his great progress and his length and athleticism, all things coveted in the league. As he finishes his career and people take a closer look under the hood, all I'm saying is I think he has a chance.......

Reaction Score
I'll go with a shock the world idea. Maybe, just maybe, one of them will use their UConn degree in an area outside of basketball. Brimah is multi lingual for example and a two time captain. If you were an employer, wouldn't you look favorably on those accomplishments?

I hope they succeed in whatever they choose to do. All are fine young men and representatives of Husky Nation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom