UConn @ SE Louisiana Univ (Fri. 2/23@7:15p ET, Sat. 2/24 DblHdr - 1st@3p ET, 2nd - 45 min aftr end) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn @ SE Louisiana Univ (Fri. 2/23@7:15p ET, Sat. 2/24 DblHdr - 1st@3p ET, 2nd - 45 min aftr end)

Reaction Score
During yesterday’s broadcast Chris Jones mentioned the coaches figured out that Cate was tipping his pitches in the middle of his start Friday night. The first base coach was able to figure out whether Cate was going to throw heat or curve by how he was holding the ball behind his back. Hopefully with this cleaned up Cate can go back to what we saw the last two years.

Reaction Score
During yesterday’s broadcast Chris Jones mentioned the coaches figured out that Cate was tipping his pitches in the middle of his start Friday night. The first base coach was able to figure out whether Cate was going to throw heat or curve by how he was holding the ball behind his back. Hopefully with this cleaned up Cate can go back to what we saw the last two years.
That's why I love this game!!! In a game of inches and milliseconds, you look for anything that will give your team an advantage. Well played game of "Cate and mouse" by SELA on Friday. ;):)

Reaction Score
That's why I love this game!!! In a game of inches and milliseconds, you look for anything that will give your team an advantage. Well played game of "Cate and mouse" by SELA on Friday. ;):)
I see what you did there

Reaction Score

And that's why I love a Chris Jones UConn baseball radio broadcast. Anyone who wants to find out stuff about UConn baseball needs to listen to the WHUS radio/internet feed, and not just depend on a video feed if it is available.

Reaction Score
No. 25 Huskies Sweep DH, Win Series

>
>NOTES
  • Troy Stefanski is off to a fast start in his senior year with a pair of multi-hit games. Stefanski has four multi-hit games already this year after having a total of five a season ago.
  • The Huskies have hit eight home runs in six games this season. Last season, UConn did not record their eighth home run until April 5 vs. Hartford.
  • The Huskies ninth inning come-from-behind win was the first of the season for UConn. Last year the Huskies recorded two wins when they trailed heading into their final at-bat (March 17 at BYU & May 16 vs. URI)
  • UConn has swept three-straight doubleheaders dating back through last season (UMass Lowell & USF in 2017).
The Huskies move to 4-2 on the season with the doubleheader sweep and are back in action next weekend at the Univeristy of North Florida beginning Friday, March 2 at 6 p.m.<<

Reaction Score
  • Troy Stefanski is off to a fast start in his senior year with a pair of multi-hit games. Stefanski has four multi-hit games already this year after having a total of five a season ago.
  • The Huskies have hit eight home runs in six games this season. Last season, UConn did not record their eighth home run until April 5 vs. Hartford
To me these are the 2 biggest delevopments of the season so far. The power is probably the most important. The ability to put a minimum of 1 run on the board with 1 swing is monumental. The way Troy has started the season may be the best performance on the team to date. Having a nine spot batter hit nearly .400 with 2 HR is massive.

For those interested, North Florida will be live streaming their game today on FB live at 1:00 today

Reaction Score
To me these are the 2 biggest delevopments of the season so far. The power is probably the most important. The ability to put a minimum of 1 run on the board with 1 swing is monumental. The way Troy has started the season may be the best performance on the team to date. Having a nine spot batter hit nearly .400 with 2 HR is massive.

For those interested, North Florida will be live streaming their game today on FB live at 1:00 today

The biggest turnarounds in returning players so far are Troy Stefanski and Chris Winkel. Both are hitting in the high .300's, as opposed to around .220 or whatever last season. UConn just didn't get much offensive production out of either CF or 1B last season, and now they are. Getting that sort of offensive production from two players who also provide very good defense is also a nice problem to have as well.

Reaction Score
The biggest turnarounds in returning players so far are Troy Stefanski and Chris Winkel. Both are hitting in the high .300's, as opposed to around .220 or whatever last season. UConn just didn't get much offensive production out of either CF or 1B last season, and now they are. Getting that sort of offensive production from two players who also provide very good defense is also a nice problem to have as well.
The roster has more balance this year more position players gives Penders more options to platoon an play the hot hand.

Reaction Score
According to UNF's website, Saturday's game will be streamed on ESPN3

YES! Chris Jones is always great, but nothing compares to a good WatchESPN stream I can toss up on my fire stick. Sometimes I get tricky and try to sync up the WHUS feed with the stream, but it doesn't always work.

Reaction Score
According to UNF's website, Saturday's game will be streamed on ESPN3
Listed on WatchESPN schedule as a 2:05 start on ESPN3.

FWIW.....UNF plays #1 Florida on Tuesday, 6:05 on ESPN3, for those interested.

Reaction Score
One question on Isaac Feldstein has been answered. As he played both games of the doubleheader yesterday, the UConn coaches and medical staff must think his knee is in pretty good shape.

It would also seem from his good start at the bat that big things are expected of Christian Fedko. From the coaches preseason videos it sounded like his bat is ahead of his glove at this point. Still, I wonder how long it might be before he starts seeing some time in the field. Sooner or later I would think he will be slated to take over one of the infield positions.

Reaction Score
One question on Isaac Feldstein has been answered. As he played both games of the doubleheader yesterday, the UConn coaches and medical staff must think his knee is in pretty good shape.

It would also seem from his good start at the bat that big things are expected of Christian Fedko. From the coaches preseason videos it sounded like his bat is ahead of his glove at this point. Still, I wonder how long it might be before he starts seeing some time in the field. Sooner or later I would think he will be slated to take over one of the infield positions.
The way everyone is playing at the moment I’d imagine he’ll be stuck in the DH role for a while

Reaction Score

I could see him getting a shot at 3B as early as next weekend.

Reaction Score
I seriously doubt it will happen that quickly.
My crystal ball is a little cloudy and I have no insight if he has ever played 3b, but his bat plays, and there other guys who potentialy will hit for power who are blocked Phillips, Mayock, and Bonvicini who could fill the dh spot.

Reaction Score
My crystal ball is a little cloudy and I have no insight if he has ever played 3b, but his bat plays, and there other guys who potentialy will hit for power who are blocked Phillips, Mayock, and Bonvicini who could fill the dh spot.

As much as I would like to see Ben Maycock get some at bats, defense counts too, especially in the infield. If Moriarty and Woodworth provide some offense, it lessens the possibility that Fedko will play any infield spots this season. If Moriarty and Woodworth don't hit and the team starts to struggle, then I'm sure Penders will start to look at other combinations. Like I said, I expect Fedko to eventually get to see more and more time in the infield, but depending on circumstances it may not happen right away or even this season. As for Fedko and the DH role, he got his chance early and has produced. If he hadn't, I'm sure we would have seen Penders running several players in and out of the DH role by now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UNF is good. Weird last few years though. They were a DII super power then moved up to DI. Smoke Laval who was coach there since the Jurassic Period was fired last year which was a big surprise. They've consistently competitive down there. They get a lot of talent but haven't really been able to turn the engine over...

Their leadoff hitter is Tanner Murphy - lots of pop - hit well above .300 as a freshman and forced his way into the lineup late last year. Had a MONSTER summer in the prospect league. 6.4 runner, legit athlete and a great defensive CF. Might be their best pro prospect. Their pitching is pretty good. Frankie Germain was on the Cape last year and can pump. Brad Deppermann is really legit. 93-95mph and great stuff. Was a little fragile early in his career but he's come around and I think he's probably their most talented pitcher. I know most to all the staff is back. Their big relief arm is Cooper Bradford and he's been the top-rated draft prospect in the conference for two years in a row in his class. He was in the NECBL this year and was hitting 95mph - FB that really jumps on hitters fast. Weird it doesn't have a lot of riding life or movement - it's just *there* all of a sudden. They'll be a challenge.

I know people kind of get tied up in knots on some of these directional schools - in college baseball, they cause a lot of fits for people. But A-Sun in the last few years has pumped out the national player of the year, an 11th overall draft pick and Chris Sale, so thinking these are crappy wins or easy walk overs is kind of silly. Stetson should presumably be a top-25 team this year.

Reaction Score
As for the SELU series that's a great series sweep. SELU is probably a top 40 program pretty easily at this point. They're a highly funded mid major that's incredibly well coached. The Southland conference is almost an island unto itself, but a dangerous island. SELU recruits really well primarily because they're able to get really talented, four-year types in states that get plundered by MSU, Ole Miss, LSU, etc - and then have to contend with places like Sam Houston State, New Orleans and Tulane (yes, they're very good at baseball) for players.

And for my money - they're one of - if not THE best mid-major program in the country when it comes to consistently developing really good pitchers. Their staff is good every single year it seems. They give every P5 team they play freaking fits. They're always a little underpowered offensively. At least I'd say they always seem to have 1 or 2 DUDES and then a bunch of guys who are really good defensively but can't string together consecutive offensive seasons. Guy who hits .310 and 5 HR's this year is a shoe in for .210 and 1 HR the next year. Dunno why that is - just is. Their head guy is highly sought after as a P5 head coach and at this time it's a matter of time, really.

So this was a big weekend sweep for UConn. SELU is good.

Reaction Score
I know people kind of get tied up in knots on some of these directional schools - in college baseball, they cause a lot of fits for people. But A-Sun in the last few years has pumped out the national player of the year, an 11th overall draft pick and Chris Sale, so thinking these are crappy wins or easy walk overs is kind of silly. Stetson should presumably be a top-25 team this year.

That’s only the “casual fans” ;)

Not many here scoff @ schools “people” who don’t follow college baseball can’t find on a map.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
As for the SELU series that's a great series sweep. SELU is probably a top 40 program pretty easily at this point. They're a highly funded mid major that's incredibly well coached. The Southland conference is almost an island unto itself, but a dangerous island. SELU recruits really well primarily because they're able to get really talented, four-year types in states that get plundered by MSU, Ole Miss, LSU, etc - and then have to contend with places like Sam Houston State, New Orleans and Tulane (yes, they're very good at baseball) for players.

And for my money - they're one of - if not THE best mid-major program in the country when it comes to consistently developing really good pitchers. Their staff is good every single year it seems. They give every P5 team they play freaking fits. They're always a little underpowered offensively. At least I'd say they always seem to have 1 or 2 DUDES and then a bunch of guys who are really good defensively but can't string together consecutive offensive seasons. Guy who hits .310 and 5 HR's this year is a shoe in for .210 and 1 HR the next year. Dunno why that is - just is. Their head guy is highly sought after as a P5 head coach and at this time it's a matter of time, really.

So this was a big weekend sweep for UConn. SELU is good.

I want Rice to poach the SELA coach after Graham retires. He is really solid IMO.

Reaction Score
I want Rice to poach the SELA coach after Graham retires. He is really solid IMO.

Pretty much everyone I know says that's what's going to happen.

Graham probably should've retired a little while ago, but alas. Kid's been coaching since 08 - Texas as a student assistant, then McNeese St for a few years, then Rice for five year and now Oklahoma. He might have a legit shot. I'm also pretty sure Dave Serrano and some others will be poking around...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom