UConn role players need to step up - Yahoo Sports | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn role players need to step up - Yahoo Sports

Reaction Score
Isn't it possible to have both? Last UCONN AA to graduate without a ring was?

Sure, but most years the media focuses on a list of players early and unless they have a bad season they appear on most ballots. Williams and Dangerfield will make those lists and If UConn were to win the title they will get AA's but less than that and it's 2nd team. Also a factor is that some voters will see this year as the last in a while without 2-3 UConn AA's. I think UConn is heading into what years in the future will be called their golden years. I'd love to see it start this year, 1st to give a ring to Dangerfield and 2nd to listen to the wailing when the 2020 class arrives.
It's easy to look at this year's team, see all the changes to be made and think it would be a miracle to win it all but as Geno pointed out, all they have to be is better than the other teams.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sure, but most years the media focuses on a list of players early and unless they have a bad season they appear on most ballots. Williams and Dangerfield will make those lists and If UConn were to win the title they will get AA's but less than that and it's 2nd team. Also a factor is that some voters will see this year as the last in a while without 2-3 UConn AA's. I think UConn is heading into what years in the future will be called their golden years. I'd love to see it start this year, 1st to give a ring to Dangerfield and 2nd to listen to the wailing when the 2020 class arrives.
It's easy to look at this year's team, see all the changes to be made and think it would be a miracle to win it all but as Geno pointed out, all they have to be is better than the other teams.
All ballots for AA teams are completed before a Champion is determined therefore what you are suggesting is not possible. To be clear, Williams and Dangerfield cannot receive AA votes based on UCONN winning a championship. Although I love to see it, a future golden ago for UCONN would have to be defined by more than 4 consecutive championships. The criteria for winning a Championship is not to be better than all the other teams. The criteria is to be better than 6 teams you have to play in the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
Whatever year Evina plays for UCONN, she will by season end, play as many minutes as any of the UCONN guard/wings. Geno won't be able to take her off the court.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I think Anna is #6 if Evina is healthy and cleared and #5 if Evina cannot play.

Anna is going to average at least 28 mpg whether she starts or not. She’s not a rookie. Geno said she can play, she knows the game, and that her transition to the college game has been seamless. Geno will not be able to keep her on the bench, not that he wants to.

I still maintain that Anna will be the 5th starter. She’s eligible to play right now, Evina is not. That’s the criteria I’m using. If her waiver is approved (we’re all praying it is), then I’ll change my outlook.

As far as the role players needing to step up, we said that last year. Who was the 6th player off the bench? I know what to expect from the returning reserves. I defer to the essence of Dennis Green’s now famous post game rant. It’s the newbies I need to see play so that I have an idea of what to expect from them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
All ballots for AA teams are completed before a Champion is determined therefore what you are suggesting is not possible. To be clear, Williams and Dangerfield cannot receive AA votes based on UCONN winning a championship. Although I love to see it, a future golden ago for UCONN would have to be defined by more than 4 consecutive championships. The criteria for winning a Championship is not to be better than all the other teams. The criteria is to be better than 6 teams you have to play in the NCAA tournament.

Thanks for pointing that out. But I say that many UConn player's AA awards have come more as a result of the team's success than the player's indiv. stats. And if you look back you'll see that UConn has gone into the NCAA's as No1 more times than they won it all. UConn is all about consistent greatness, from Nov to April. That's one of the best things about them and why they are so entertaining. And that has earned many players AA status. Because despite their lack of dominant stats their consistent outstanding play and rare losses earns them the necessary notoriety to make AA lists.
I'm not sure why I am even discussing this topic because I pay little attention to those awards. I think I understand your point.

Reaction Score
What UCONN has lacked for the last two seasons is an adequate 3rd guard in the rotation. If eligible Evina is exactly what the Dr. would order if that Dr. were writing a Rx for UCONN. Her skill set is good enough to help the UCONN offense at three different positions PG, SF, & SG. Defensively her technique will need to be improved because at TN she was at times sloppy and ineffective as a perimeter defender. As a replacement for Crystal she needs to be good enough to enable the UCONN defense to switch everything. Right now because of her size the UCONN defense cannot do that with Crystal in the game so that limits the transition game and easy baskets.
I salute as a Plebe as I am in knowing WCBB vs your knowledge. Thank you, I sincerely hope Evina is ALLOWED to play this year. I was aware of her Guard abilities but no so in her versatility in so many options.
The learning curve, while shorter for Evina, will take real game time to evolve.
@CocoHusky thank you. I know your understanding, if there is such a thing, of the NCAA is among the very best therefore I ask: Do we still have a chance??

Reaction Score
Anna is going to average at least 28 mpg whether she starts or not. She’s not a rookie. Geno said she can play, she knows the game, and that her transition to the college game has been seamless. Geno will not be able to keep her on the bench, not that he wants to.

I still maintain that Anna will be the 5th starter. She’s eligible to play right now, Evina is not. That’s the criteria I’m using. If her waiver is approved (we’re all praying it is), then I’ll change my outlook.

As far as the role players needing to step up, we said that last year. Who was the 6th player off the bench? I know what to expect from the returning reserves. I defer to the essence of Dennis Green’s now famous post game rant. It’s the newbies I need to see play so that I have an idea of what to expect from them.
Thank you. Ania is a PRO how well that slides into the Uconn/Geno scheme is yet to be determined. From the moment she was announced as a HUSKY I have touted her as number 5. Maybe not so realistic but possible.
@HuskyNan said then that that was not realistic because Geno rarely plays Frosh. While true we are learning Geno evolves as all Humans , who don't stagnate, do. If she is 3/4th's my beliefs she will be as you state.
I believe a top ball player ---plays the game seamlessly because the game is the game only team specific actions change.
If Evina is not ALLOWED to play this season, shame on the NCAA, then you are right ANIA shall be 5. Obviously only an uninformed opinion.

Reaction Score
Isn't it possible to have both? Last UCONN AA to graduate without a ring was?
Some rings have tremendous value. If one has to work 4 years to get one it often has a life time of value.
There are one or 2 rings I'd hold dear those earned by people I honor and admire.

Reaction Score
I agree with the array of potential AA's but realistically none of them are going to dominate the national stats, and so they will not get national attention. And there are several ahead of them.
Awards are usually based on opinion. If I were a player I'd value rings I earned on the court miles ahead of others' opinions.
As a Frosh I think some or maybe more than some said the same thing about Phee. KLS we though, at least I did, would be an AA most of her college career---I'm not a great predictor! However, I see 4 or more on this team that have the potential and if it takes filling out big time stats CW, ONO, Walker, Danger, Ania, Evina all have the POTENTIAL to do that, will they??? Who knows.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So as I read these threads, I am reminded of this EXACT scenario the year after Stewie left and all were bemoaning what were we going to do as KLS and Pheesa were coming of nice but inconsistent freshman years. Gabby showed some promise as a utility player and Kia was yet to take on the leadership role. What happened? One of the most surprising and rewarding seasons ever.
KLS was a #1 prospect with USA hoop experience, Pheesa was #7 with USA hoop experience, Kia was a Canadian National Team candidate. They all stepped forward and SHARED THE BALL, not relying on 1 or 2 people as some have suggested quite erroneously.
How is this year not similar with Crystal Dangerfield, Megan, CW and ONO having USA hoop experience, not to mention what Evina could possibly bring. Add in Anna who I think far too many people underestimate what skill and experience she has gained by playing in the league she was in as a teenager and yes, I do believe this team will compete and compete well.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Thank you. Ania is a PRO how well that slides into the Uconn/Geno scheme is yet to be determined. From the moment she was announced as a HUSKY I have touted her as number 5. Maybe not so realistic but possible.
@HuskyNan said then that that was not realistic because Geno rarely plays Frosh. While true we are learning Geno evolves as all Humans , who don't stagnate, do. If she is 3/4th's my beliefs she will be as you state.
I believe a top ball player ---plays the game seamlessly because the game is the game only team specific actions change.
If Evina is not ALLOWED to play this season, shame on the NCAA, then you are right ANIA shall be 5. Obviously only an uninformed opinion.

Anna IS NOT your typical freshman. She comes in with 2 years of experience at a level that is impossible for freshmen in the US to achieve. Anna should not be looked at or "pigeon holed" with other "typical" incoming freshmen. She's anything but typical. I expect her play this year to reflect it. ;)

Last edited:

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
View attachment 47518
There was remarkable balance in shot attempts/minute played among the 5 UCONN starters last season. Kind of make sense that you would want your two best players & seniors taking the most shots though.

The data say Pheesa and Lou were consistent in taking about 33% more shots per minute than the other starters, who were consistent with each other:

Screenshot - 10_29_2019 , 11_08_45.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Anna is going to average at least 28 mpg whether she starts or not. She’s not a rookie.

I accidentally read this as "at least 28 ppg" and my first thought was Holy Cow! LOL, I wish!

Reaction Score
Not a role player:

"Her continued growth will determine just how good this Connecticut team will be."

Does this mean we should expect her to reach 6'7" or 6'8" by the end of the season?

Carnac

Reaction Score
Isn't All-American = All-World ?

No, just All AMERICAN. "All-World" would include All America. My thinking is the NCAA does not recognize or reward All-World players, but they do recognize All-Americans. I would be ecstatic if Liv earns 1st team All-America this year. I think YOU would too. ;)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
No, just All AMERICAN. "All-World" would include All America. My thinking is the NCAA does not recognize or reward All-World players, but they do recognize All-Americans. I would be ecstatic if Liv earns 1st team All-America this year. I think YOU would too. ;)

My idea is that since America (specifically US) is the dominant force in WBB on a world stage, All American by definition is All World. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom