UConn role players need to step up - Yahoo Sports

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The statement below is dead on.

"The good thing about it is they are starting to realize that no one person has to be superstar material," Auriemma said. "They just have to rely on each other and be really, really good as a team."

I think some of our recruits were adversely affected by being in awe of their teammates (Butler, Irwin, Coombs etc) to much and deferring to quickly.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Geno is right, as always. Danger, Williams, ONO, and Walker as the core four. Makurat, Griffin, Adebayo, and Westbrook if available. Bent and Irwin as great teammates, spot duty if needed, and solid PT in blowouts...

No returning AA's, but I wouldn't count out Williams, Walker and/or Danger just yet...

Reaction Score
Geno is right, as always. Danger, Williams, ONO, and Walker as the core four. Makurat, Griffin, Adebayo, and Westbrook if available. Bent and Irwin as great teammates, spot duty if needed, and solid PT in blowouts...

No returning AA's, but I wouldn't count out Williams, Walker and/or Danger just yet...

...and let's not forget about Aubrey Griffin, according to an 'unknown' source (actually we all know the source)...Aubrey will lead the team in scoring this season. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The statement below is dead on.

"The good thing about it is they are starting to realize that no one person has to be superstar material," Auriemma said. "They just have to rely on each other and be really, really good as a team."

I think some of our recruits were adversely affected by being in awe of their teammates (Butler, Irwin, Coombs etc) to much and deferring to quickly.

The only reason some of this year's starters appeared to be role players was because KLS and Collier dominated the offense. They looked for each other almost exclusively. I don't see that as a fault because I'm sure they did what Geno told them but when your 2 forwards are both out on the perimeter with the ball or playing a high/low game between themselves where do your guards fit in? I like UConn better when the ball movement includes 5 players instead of 2 and where the guards hold the ball.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We have no returning All-Americans, but I'll be very surprised if we don't have at least one this year. We have at least 6 players with All-American potential.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The only reason some of this year's starters appeared to be role players was because KLS and Collier dominated the offense. They looked for each other almost exclusively. I don't see that as a fault because I'm sure they did what Geno told them but when your 2 forwards are both out on the perimeter with the ball or playing a high/low game between themselves where do your guards fit in? I like UConn better when the ball movement includes 5 players instead of 2 and where the guards hold the ball.
1572294982411.png

There was remarkable balance in shot attempts/minute played among the 5 UCONN starters last season. Kind of make sense that you would want your two best players & seniors taking the most shots though.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Dunno. I think Geno & coaches are pretty good at trying to simplify the game for the players: "You're good at X. Just do X." The players who do well at UConn usu figure that out quickly.
(That was the message to CW in last year's ND game.)

And if you're not willing to take a risk when you're playing East Carolina and you have Pheesa and KLS to clean up a mistake, I'm not sure you'll ever do so.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
You must have watched different games than I did but as I have always said, everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter... :)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

I think this is spot on, although I also wouldn't count out Nelson-Ododa as a potential all-American candidate at this point. I also hope (not necessarily realistically) that Molly will provide meaningful minutes as a backup for Crystal. I think she has it in her; if Jasmine can just get her to play within herself, she could give 5-10 minutes in most games, and a few even in contested games. The more backup Crystal has, the more likely she'll stay healthy through the year.

Reaction Score

Words I was about to write: CW, Walker, ONO, Danger---one or 3 (anyone) may become "superstars as Geno called them. CW and ONO get my vote, but I'm biased. Danger if healthy is a good candidate as in Walker. I like your progression--Ania Makurat, Aubrey Griffin, Evelyn. Certainly Westbrook if available appears to be a shoe-in for a moving up in that progression of talent.

I dislike the term ROLE PLAYERS --I understand what is being conveyed yet I dislike it's use. When I played as bad as I may have been I played the game as anyone else wearing that uniform. Bent and Irwin have the talent to be excellent backups for guard and post. My hopes, my desires and yes dreams (because I relate to them) is they shall evolve mentally to what they are physically--top players.

Reaction Score
I think this is spot on, although I also wouldn't count out Nelson-Ododa as a potential all-American candidate at this point. I also hope (not necessarily realistically) that Molly will provide meaningful minutes as a backup for Crystal. I think she has it in her; if Jasmine can just get her to play within herself, she could give 5-10 minutes in most games, and a few even in contested games. The more backup Crystal has, the more likely she'll stay healthy through the year.
@Bigfoote : I'll go you one better--Olivia Nelson Ododa (ONO) SHALL be an AA if Uconn ends in the top 4 this year, I suspect the same is true of probably CW, Walker, Danger. I agree on the Back UP for Danger.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Being in Awe, Deferring to your teammates?

You mean the 2 best players in WCBB last year? 1 of who actually capped it with WNBA Rookie of the Year...

Yeah I can’t figure why that would happen...;)

Thanks Captain Obvious...

Reaction Score
Crystal's backups are CW and Evina.
CW a backup? If you are saying when Danger is out CW will become point--that goes without saying. Who then backs up the backup?/ But the previous means nothing if Evina is available and then what does she become? Evina isn't a back up player on 99 out of 100 teams she starts? Ania where does she fit in you scheme of Uconn Backup? Eventually, Griffin (if all predictions hold true) does she back up Walker or Evina?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
CW a backup? If you are saying when Danger is out CW will become point--that goes without saying. Who then backs up the backup?/ But the previous means nothing if Evina is available and then what does she become? Evina isn't a back up player on 99 out of 100 teams she starts? Ania where does she fit in you scheme of Uconn Backup? Eventually, Griffin (if all predictions hold true) does she back up Walker or Evina?
Both you and @vowelguy are using the wrong word. You aren't talking backup you are talking about a rotation. When Crystal is on the floor she is the PG. When Crystal is not in the game CW will be the PG. If Evina is available she will be the PG when Crystal is not in the game and Evina can also be used to spell Megan, Crystal or CW. That's it, the guard rotation will be 3 deep regardless. If Evina is not eligible then Anna is the third guard.

Reaction Score
Both you and @vowelguy are using the wrong word. You aren't talking backup you are talking about a rotation. When Crystal is on the floor she is the PG. When Crystal is not in the game CW will be the PG. If Evina is available she will be the PG when Crystal is not in the game and Evina can also be used to spell Megan, Crystal or CW. That's it, the guard rotation will be 3 deep regardless. If Evina is not eligible then Anna is the third guard.
Sir Coco- with respect I offer:
Vowel Guy used the phrase CW will back up Danger--to that I questioned and addressed it by saying If he was referring to CW moving to the point (or word to that effect) then it goes without saying--(new words here) will be part of the ROTATION as designed by Geno
No though I didn't use the word ROTATION I was using Vowel's words BACKUP and inferred ROTATION--that's was the jist of my questioning CW Back up when she was only sliding over to do the point when Danger went out, that's an adjustment to the Rotation. When I asked about where Ania fit in backup I was indeed asking about ROTATION.
However I am speaking to an expert and you know ROTATION was the most appropriate word.
I do wonder how Geno will actually use Evina--she's a top guard with experience in Div 1, if available, it may be difficult to make her a "back up".
I agree with your evaluation of who in what order the ROTATION will eventually rotate
Rotate or stagnate this shall be one fun year to watch

Reaction Score
...and let's not forget about Aubrey Griffin, according to an 'unknown' source (actually we all know the source)...Aubrey will lead the team in scoring this season. :rolleyes:
Until the season starts and Team Members get to show there stuff; There is a probability, however remote, she could in some games lead the scoring (if all reports on her prove true). Ive been proven wrong before and shall again--so you can use me as the source.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I do wonder how Geno will actually use Evina--she's a top guard with experience in Div 1, if available, it may be difficult to make her a "back up".
What UCONN has lacked for the last two seasons is an adequate 3rd guard in the rotation. If eligible Evina is exactly what the Dr. would order if that Dr. were writing a Rx for UCONN. Her skill set is good enough to help the UCONN offense at three different positions PG, SF, & SG. Defensively her technique will need to be improved because at TN she was at times sloppy and ineffective as a perimeter defender. As a replacement for Crystal she needs to be good enough to enable the UCONN defense to switch everything. Right now because of her size the UCONN defense cannot do that with Crystal in the game so that limits the transition game and easy baskets.

Reaction Score
I agree with the array of potential AA's but realistically none of them are going to dominate the national stats, and so they will not get national attention. And there are several ahead of them.
Awards are usually based on opinion. If I were a player I'd value rings I earned on the court miles ahead of others' opinions.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree with the array of potential AA's but realistically none of them are going to dominate the national stats, and so they will not get national attention. And there are several ahead of them.
Awards are usually based on opinion. If I were a player I'd value rings I earned on the court miles ahead of others' opinions.
Isn't it possible to have both? Last UCONN AA to graduate without a ring was?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom