OT: - UConn Rises to 18th Among U.S. Public Universities | The Boneyard

OT: UConn Rises to 18th Among U.S. Public Universities

Reaction Score
“This was accomplished despite ongoing cuts to our appropriation over several years,” she continued. “It shows that if the state makes the necessary investments in UConn’s future, we clearly have the potential to become a top 10 institution. We are hopeful that this is the path the state chooses.”

UConn’s No. 18 ranking reflects a tie for that position with University of Texas-Austin, University of Washington and Purdue.

UConn Rises to 18th Among U.S. Public Universities - UConn Today

Reaction Score
Tied for 56th for national universities. Anyone know where Cuse is?

Reaction Score
Nah..not quite. But fantastic progress in roughly 20 years.

US News rankings are well regarded. I mean by that measure UConn academics are above the mean for the B1G, ACC and SEC. Never thought we could be as highly regarded as U of TEXAS. Amazing. (Not in those 3 I know).

California does a tremendous job. But Rutgers was once considered far ahead of UConn and look at that!

If the B1G expands.... And I still think they expand one more time...it is football, football, football and then AAU membership. Don't blame either Uconn basketball program. And don't blame Herbst. I think she is kicking ass.

Rutgers got just a little good at the right time and is AAU. Nebraska was a naturall.

Reaction Score

US News rankings are well regarded. I mean by that measure UConn academics are above the mean for the B1G, ACC and SEC. Never thought we could be as highly regarded as U of TEXAS. Amazing. (Not in those 3 I know).

California does a tremendous job. But Rutgers was once considered far ahead of UConn and look at that!

If the B1G expands.... And I still think they expand one more time...it is football, football, football and then AAU membership. Don't blame either Uconn basketball program. And don't blame Herbst. I think she is kicking ass.

Rutgers got just a little good at the right time and is AAU. Nebraska was a naturall.

It was a joke

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

Herbst is running uconn like a big 10 school imo. That's clearly her model. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if she's running a B10 school in a few years. She's gonna be a target.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Seeing this, I really wish such a huge % of my graduation hs class didn't go to uconn. That alone eliminated them from consideration for me.

Reaction Score
What is 'public'?? State run schools??
Yes. Public schools are partially funded by the states they are in (anything University of ......... and ......... State). Private colleges (e.g. Northwestern, Stanford) get no funding from the state they are in.

Reaction Score
UConn would be AAU if they would extend the distance over which research revenue counts. That the medical center is not included is crazy.

Reaction Score
UConn would be AAU if they would extend the distance over which research revenue counts. That the medical center is not included is crazy.

I am pretty sure that the Med School revenue counts and is already included in the revenue numbers.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I am pretty sure that the Med School revenue counts and is already included in the revenue numbers.
With regards to AAU consideration revenue from Med Schools is not included IIRC.

Reaction Score
With regards to AAU consideration revenue from Med Schools is not included IIRC.

Since you wrote "Med Schools" I'm assuming this is in reference to AAU standards and not specific to UConn. Peer-reviewed competitive research grants from Med Schools are considered part of a school's research profile.

If that's what you mean by revenues, then those grants are very important to the AAU.

The thing that might confuse in discussions of Med. Schools and the AAU is that teaching hospital revenues, like those at UAB or USF, are considered research funds by the school. And those schools have a lot of money for those purposes. But that doesn't qualify as a peer-reviewed competitive grant for research.

Also, there may be some confusion over the Nebraska situation. Nebraska-Lincoln doesn't have a medical school. But people always point out that its med school should be counted as UNL's revenue. It isn't counted because U. of Nebraska Medical is located in Omaha and it is not under UNL's direction. It's its own school, and it has been this way since the 1960s.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Since you wrote "Med Schools" I'm assuming this is in reference to AAU standards and not specific to UConn. Peer-reviewed competitive research grants from Med Schools are considered part of a school's research profile.

If that's what you mean by revenues, then those grants are very important to the AAU.

The thing that might confuse in discussions of Med. Schools and the AAU is that teaching hospital revenues, like those at UAB or USF, are considered research funds by the school. And those schools have a lot of money for those purposes. But that doesn't qualify as a peer-reviewed competitive grant for research.

Also, there may be some confusion over the Nebraska situation. Nebraska-Lincoln doesn't have a medical school. But people always point out that its med school should be counted as UNL's revenue. It isn't counted because U. of Nebraska Medical is located in Omaha and it is not under UNL's direction. It's its own school, and it has been this way since the 1960s.
Thanks for the clarification.

Reaction Score
Florida keeps cooking the books year after year. They have the formula to make one huge jump after another on this list down to a science. I would bet they are inflating data. I hate Gators. Obnoxious people. Successful, but obnoxious.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyClifton

Top Bottom