UConn Recruits this Weekend | The Boneyard

UConn Recruits this Weekend

Reaction Score
I finally had the opportunity to get out and see some UConn recruits in person this weekend at the KC Classic.

Expressions Elite vs CP3: Really like Alex Karaban's game. Swiss army knife that does everything. His shot release is a little low and he over rotates the ball, but played great defense and really solid slashing. Lead the team in rebounds too. CP3 has two really great guards ( Jalen Bradley and Jalen Hood). They really gave Expressions guards a lot of trouble, and they did not find their other teammates. Really think he will continue to grow and fill out. Tons of potential.

Team Durant vs Spartans - Roddy Rice had a solid game. A little undersized, but good looking shot and can distribute well. He didnt seem too engaged but also a plus defender. Donovan Clingan really struggled. Only had two points and they came from a put back dunk. He was a liability on defense because Durant kept putting him in the pick and roll and Donovan would play way under the screen. When he caught the ball in the post it usually got knocked away from him by another guard. I don't understand how his game translates to the college level. At this point he is just a back to the basket player that uses his size to score. He doesnt have any solid post moves and gets really sped up when he catches the ball. He really needs to get in the weight room. Purely my opinion, but I would like to see us go in a different direction.

Really excited for the 2022 class. I think it has the potential to be a top 5 class and continue the trend of infusing talent into our program.

Reaction Score
I finally had the opportunity to get out and see some UConn recruits in person this weekend at the KC Classic.

Expressions Elite vs CP3: Really like Alex Karaban's game. Swiss army knife that does everything. His shot release is a little low and he over rotates the ball, but played great defense and really solid slashing. Lead the team in rebounds too. CP3 has two really great guards ( Jalen Bradley and Jalen Hood). They really gave Expressions guards a lot of trouble, and they did not find their other teammates. Really think he will continue to grow and fill out. Tons of potential.

Team Durant vs Spartans - Roddy Rice had a solid game. A little undersized, but good looking shot and can distribute well. He didnt seem too engaged but also a plus defender. Donovan Clingan really struggled. Only had two points and they came from a put back dunk. He was a liability on defense because Durant kept putting him in the pick and roll and Donovan would play way under the screen. When he caught the ball in the post it usually got knocked away from him by another guard. I don't understand how his game translates to the college level. At this point he is just a back to the basket player that uses his size to score. He doesnt have any solid post moves and gets really sped up when he catches the ball. He really needs to get in the weight room. Purely my opinion, but I would like to see us go in a different direction.

Really excited for the 2022 class. I think it has the potential to be a top 5 class and continue the trend of infusing talent into our program.
From the highlights 429 posted in the DC thread, the game looks too fast for DC. He was constantly turned in circles on defense and didn't look good, and on offense he didn't dominate against smaller players.

He doesn't seem to have the quickness DH is said to want in his players. Kyle Filipowski has so much more ability and athleticism.

How about a front court of Sanogo, Filipowski and Karaban?

Reaction Score
Thanks for the report! Donovan does have back to the basket moves and probably just had an awful game against Team Durant but the defense is certainly going to be an issue for him in college.

Reaction Score
Glad you made it out to the games as you said you would. Its a shame Clingan disappointed, but I have seen players look completely different game to game and against certain personnel and scheme matchups. Keep in mind he was MVP in Pittsburgh just a couple weeks ago. I'll take my chances. Lively has looked mediocre 2 out of the 3x I have seen him but looked great in the third game. Roddy Gayle and Zion Cruz have looked very average when I have seen them, yet carry high ratings so they must show well at other times. Justice hasn't shown me anything yet. Rice is supposed to be 6'4ish? What do you think he actually is? Glad you liked Karaban.

Reaction Score
Glad you made it out to the games as you said you would. Its a shame Clingan disappointed, but I have seen players look completely different game to game and against certain personnel and scheme matchups. Keep in mind he was MVP in Pittsburgh just a couple weeks ago. I'll take my chances. Lively has looked mediocre 2 out of the 3x I have seen him but looked great in the third game. Roddy Gayle and Zion Cruz have looked very average when I have seen them, yet carry high ratings so they must show well at other times. Justice hasn't shown me anything yet. Rice is supposed to be 6'4ish? What do you think he actually is? Glad you liked Karaban.
I am 6’4 and standing next to him he was probably more 6’2.

Reaction Score
Not sure he will from what i hear. Students of mine played against him and been friendly for years. Word is he has strong connections to bristol for high school....
And that’s the issue. Good for him, I get why he would stay, but that puts him so far behind development wise. He wouldn’t really contribute to a HM school until his junior year IMO.

Reaction Score
You caused me to rewatch the Eybl website highlight video of the Pittsburgh games 2 weeks ago with commentary from a national recruiting analyst. 27 min long with the first minutes devoted to Rice and Clingan. It opens with commentary about Rodney Rice's size and shot-making at all levels and then immediately follows with the dominance of Donovan Clingan, stressing his poise with the basketball, advanced offensive moves and counters, and his deft passing out of double teams, and that he was the best player at the event. In KC all these observations are rendered suspect by direct Boneyard observation. Go figure. Let the sample size grow. Thanks for the input.

Reaction Score
You caused me to rewatch the Eybl website highlight video of the Pittsburgh games 2 weeks ago with commentary from a national recruiting analyst. 27 min long with the first minutes devoted to Rice and Clingan. It opens with commentary about Rodney Rice's size and shot-making at all levels and then immediately follows with the dominance of Donovan Clingan, stressing his poise with the basketball, advanced offensive moves and counters, and his deft passing out of double teams, and that he was the best player at the event. In KC all these observations are rendered suspect by direct Boneyard observation. Go figure. Let the sample size grow. Thanks for the input.
Link?

Reaction Score
The person being interviewed, Jamie Shaw, says "we have him ranked #77 in our rivals 150" , that suggests to me he is associated with ranking the rivals 150 which is national. He makes similar statements 'us' / "we" numerous times when referring to rising in 'our' rankings. Just googled him and it says Jamie Shaw - Absolute Basketball and Rivals.com analyst.
I don't see why his credentials would be a "kid trying to get in good graces". I'll add that the interview itself is on Nike Eybl's own website as the primary discussion of the Pittsburgh event, it isn't off on a blog someplace. It seems to me to qualify as the opinion of a national analyst, but, any opinion is only opinion anyway, whether it is national, local, yours, or mine.

From that link; 'The Circuit podcast returns to release the Hoop Group Pitt Jam Fest awards. Jamie Shaw, the longtime grassroots veteran & current Rivals scout....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Donovan needs to leave Bristol CT to have a higher chance at being an impact college player.

Playing high level prep ball will have him further advanced to be an impact college player as a freshman. One year into being coached at the college level, it’s all about our talent and your work ethic.

Reaction Score
Donovan should stay at Bristol if that's where his heart is. I respect the decision.

Wouldn't be surprised if he reclassed to 2023 and did a PG year at some prep in the area. It could be really good for him. He's a true rising senior--most of the kids in his class are a year older than him.

I think it's important everyone remembers that bigs take longer to develop anyways. The bigger the big, the longer it takes on average. And Donovan is an absolute goliath.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
1620520655538.png

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Donovan should stay at Bristol if that's where his heart is. I respect the decision.

Wouldn't be surprised if he reclassed to 2023 and did a PG year at some prep in the area. It could be really good for him. He's a true rising senior--most of the kids in his class are a year older than him.

I think it's important everyone remembers that bigs take longer to develop anyways. The bigger the big, the longer it takes on average. And Donovan is an absolute goliath.
I think we need to make a distinction between what he should do that's best for his career, and what he will do that's more comfortable for him. Staying here is obviously not doing much for his basketball development.

Reaction Score
If the recruits look nothing like their high ratings when you see them, please, for the sake of the mental health of those on the Boneyard, refrain from personal attendance at anymore of their games............. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Playing for the Team Spartans, 7-foot-1 big man Donovan Clingan proved to be one of the most intriguing players in the building. Holding offers from Connecticut, Georgetown, Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Providence, Rutgers and Syracuse, Clingan ranks No. 42 in the class of 2022 according to the industry generated 247Sports Composite. Not only does Clingan rank highly, his throwback post play is filled with skill, touch and power.

In many ways, Clingan is similar to Michigan's star freshman Hunter Dickinson. He takes up a ton of space and manpower to deal with on each end and because he's not a rim to rim sprinter or high flyer, things can slow down and get technical when he's on the floor.

He has touch when spotted up for jumpers, can finish with either hand and is an excellent rebounder who controls most loose balls that he gets a hand on. Defensively he looks most comfortable anchoring a zone and he is a good straight up shot blocker.

Style of play changes when he's on the floor and a program that is committed to letting him set up on the block and playing through him as a guy who can either score in the post or draw help defenders and find shooters looks like it could be the best fit.

Reaction Score

I’ve always felt that way about Donovan. When people in here were sayin that he is the best high school player to come out of CT I automatically said to myself damn poor kid, they overrating him to no fault of his own because he really is an awesome kid that I will truly root for anywhere he goes

Reaction Score
Most bigs always take longer to develop. His body needs to get mature strong. He needs to learn how to dance. Move his feet. He needs to play against opponents who can test him.

All that said. He is a big that has potential. That's why he is big time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom