UConn recruiting one of the top underperformers relative to conference (SB Nation) | The Boneyard

UConn recruiting one of the top underperformers relative to conference (SB Nation)

Reaction Score
I couldn’t even tell you the mascots of half the teams that came in ahead of us outside the top 100.

I get that most P5s will outrecruit us, but it’s almost impossible to fathom how we could do this badly. We’re getting out-recruited by Ivy League schools (which can’t even award athletic scholarships).

Reaction Score
According to this article, Navy should also not be playing FBS football...

Reaction Score
I couldn’t even tell you the mascots of half the teams that came in ahead of us outside the top 100.

I get that most P5s will outrecruit us, but it’s almost impossible to fathom how we could do this badly. We’re getting out-recruited by Ivy League schools (which can’t even award athletic scholarships).
Oh, the Ivies find a way. First there is that Ivy degree which is worth a LOT And then they meet 100% of the calculated financial need which rarely happens for non-athletes. And then there are all sorts of special aid packages for leadership, etc. How do you think that the Ivies compete so well in hockey against non-Ivies giving out 18 rides?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
look at the avg. for the recruits and they are better than a number of those teams above them. I go by avg. not overall points because Navy and other schools have way more commitments than UConn.

Reaction Score
The sad thing is that it has. This class wasnt terrible. We just missed on some kids we couldn't afford to miss on given our current state. It's probably the best class since PPs last year
Yet the gap between us an our peers continues to grow. Going from an F to an F+ is technically improvement, but nothing to be proud of. Especially when others are going from C to B, so to speak.

Reaction Score
Yet the gap between us an our peers continues to grow. Going from an F to an F+ is technically improvement, but nothing to be proud of. Especially when others are going from C to B, so to speak.

People on other threads do not seem to understand this concept... Thank you.

Reaction Score
“The Huskies should probably not be playing FBS football”

On what basis should SB nation be stating what UConn can or can’t do? What a bunch of friggin meatheads. It’s a state flagship, top 20 public university. It has resources. It has 30,000 students. It’s has some of the best HHI demographics in the country.

Is it because we’ve had an extended stretch of down years? Is it the weather? Can’t be either of those.

This is made-up bull sheet with no basis to it. It’s just somebody with an axe to grind.

Reaction Score

On what basis should SB nation be stating what UConn can or can’t do? What a bunch of friggin meatheads. It’s a state flagship, top 20 public university. It has resources. It has 30,000 students. It’s has some of the best HHI demographics in the country.

Is it because we’ve had an extended stretch of down years? Is it the weather? Can’t be either of those.

This is made-up bull sheet with no basis to it. It’s just somebody with an axe to grind.

Those things you memtion have zero to do with a football program - the university should have a program, just not based on those things. If it’s going to have a program it needs leaders in the program and the AD that can do the things necessary to be viable in the sport in today’s environment.

It’s possible that the state and the university just can’t or don’t want to wrap their heads around what it takes to compete at the FBS level in football and if that’s the case it’s better for all involved for them to say “we’re out” rather than to keep up with this charade because this mess does more harm to the university than good.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Once I saw SB Nation and UConn - I knew it would not be crap. Even worse, after all these years, we have people looking at the rating services as the know it all over the coaches. Eye tests can tell you something. Diaco's recruits never passed the eye test. You could see we were in trouble. Anyone can have a highlight film, just look for the motor a kid has, quickness or the ability to break away. People can crap all over UConn football for its results- but using ratings services and class rankings is starting with an inexact premise and stretching it from there. Remember, volume supercedes rankings with these services. Money supercedes volume. Rate the classes after the kids have left- see how many contributed and see how many even stayed around. When we were bowling- our classes were some of the lowest ranked. Meanwhile, we had a pipeline to the NFL. Yes times have changed, but trust the process.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I can't believe folks are getting their panties in a wad over what SB says
On paper, I feel the recruits are a step up over the past several years and that's what we are looking for
Of course some of the better teams in the conference (and that means everybody!) is most likely going to attract a bit better talent - that's what winning does

Reaction Score
UConn in @ #120

>>Largest negative change in four-year weighted recruiting rankings (Group of 5)
  • Cincinnati (down 13.0 percentage points, from 54.3 to 41.3)
  • Tulane (down 11.5, from 37.1 to 25.6)
  • Georgia Southern (down 10.5, from 26.5 to 15.9)
  • Temple (down 10.5, from 32.9 to 22.5)
  • WMU (down 10.4, from 38.3 to 27.9)<<

Reaction Score

I agree. Right now UConn is low hanging fruit for an author of an article like this. The on field product has been bad for a number of years and some people are incorrectly blaming football for having some kind of negative effect on basketball as well. The truth is that prior AD's made some poor hires for both teams at some really inopportune times.

Basketball seems to be corrected, football is TBD. (Personally I don't think Edsall was the right call but we shall see). Programs like NW, Wisconsin, Duke, Kansas and Rutgers were terrible at football for decades and the national drum beat was never as loud as it is for UConn to drop the sport. JMO but as long as the idea of heading to The Big East is allowed to lurk in the back ground without the school coming out and saying they have zero interest in doing so this nonsense will continue to spread.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom