UConn-Providence post game thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn-Providence post game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
My wife and I said to each other about halfway through the second quarter that the refs had lost control and needed to reign it in before someone got hurt. Unfortunately for UConn and its fans that didn’t happen.

We both laughed when the announcers said the refs were auditioning for the NCAAs. Yeah, in what universe?

Reaction Score
The more draconian the penalty the less likely the refs are to call it. How many
players have been thrown out of a game this season? Any? Probably no more
than could be counted on the fingers of one hand.

If Paige got tossed for committing an intentional foul it would be catastrophic
for the team. Of course, our girls would never commit an intentional foul. Right? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I believe opposing coaches took notice of how UCF "played" us back in the AAC days and have used that against us. We can't/shouldn't do anything different to prepare for "physical" opponents except hope that the refs decide to call the game correctly.
The next time I hear the TV analyst say that our opponents are being physical, I will select the mute button.
I am soooooo proud of our Huskies for turning it up a couple notches and turning a 3rd quarter single digit lead to a 4th quarter 30+ point lead!!!!!
I remember Geno during a halftime interview saying of UCF “ If you can’t beat ‘em, beat ‘em up”

Reaction Score
The refs definitely were not in control of this game! This kind of thing will unfortunately continue to happen until someone really gets hurt. Even though I concur the foul was probably unintentional she was clearly playing in an unsafe manner. That in itself should be grounds for ejection. Sure, there would need to be a warning first but this girl was playing like that the whole time she was on the floor. Refs have to be better!

Reaction Score
At the beginning of the second quarter Ice was called for a charging foul when a Providence player fell to the floor. To me, it appeared to be an obvious flop. The Providence player appeared to be nearly flat on her back before Ice touched her. Did anyone else see this play as being a flop?
The Providence player was falling backward at 30-45 degree angle before any contact was made. What's the sense in having rules if you don't enforce them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
My point is that the current coach in her first year at Providence has done nothing out of the ordinary with this team, and the team is performing at the same level as basically the past 9 years. If you go back and listen to the game, the announcers couldn't stop with the constant high praise for the coach: how she has turned things around, instilled a new culture, and doesn't swear but says "ham sandwich" instead. She certainly knows how to get her players to play with "reckless abandon" physical play. I agree with you as to judging her until she brings in her own kids, (and has a resume) before you anoint her as the best thing in Friarland since sliced bread!
In 2021-22 the media was saying all the same things about Shea Ralph at Vanderbilt, how great she was going to be for the program. The previous 5 years under Stephanie White were lousy and they canned her. She's now a respected HC in the WNBA. Vanderbilt didn't play any better under Ralph her first year either, 16-19. Did that bother you too? Point is that no coach looks very good when they don't have talent. What do you think Auriemma would be doing with Providence's roster, especially in the first year?

Reaction Score
I loved watching the team today. The game had us in a real dog fight into the third quarter, but what I saw today from the team is very encouraging. We were playing great in the first quarter and then you could see providence ratchet up their physicality and we struggled with that and also struggled to contain efosa. What I liked is how we responded by playing ultra hard and tougher like a boxer we hung in there and fought back for the knock out. Kk was outstanding and Ice really matched their physicality. I still think Shade is passing up too many shots as I’d like to see her be more aggressive and get that 3 or shot back on track.

In terms of the physical play. It’s no surprise how teams pay us now. It’s been happening for many years since Stewie left. I always liken the strategy to what Belechick did with his patriots against the St Louis rams. Hold and play physical because the refs can’t call everything every single play. Couple this with good guard play against us to get us in foul trouble or get to the foul line. When we had enough talent and depth in the front court this was strategy that UConn could weather but now teams know to have a chance it’s gotta be closer to the UCF strategy.

Paige awesome today. If Liya can’t play the silver lining is Ice will be thrown into the fire and. I think she will respond. I also like seeing Nika play aggressive, even if she drives and misses she makes the defense play her. Hope Qadence can learn to drive and pull up more inside the three. Her drive at the end is something I think she can do more of.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I loved watching the team today. The game had us in a real dog fight into the third quarter, but what I saw today from the team is very encouraging. We were playing great in the first quarter and then you could see providence ratchet up their physicality and we struggled with that and also struggled to contain efosa. What I liked is how we responded by playing ultra hard and tougher like a boxer we hung in there and fought back for the knock out. Kk was outstanding and Ice really matched their physicality. I still think Shade is passing up too many shots as I’d like to see her be more aggressive and get that 3 or shot back on track.

In terms of the physical play. It’s no surprise how teams pay us now. It’s been happening for many years since Stewie left. I always liken the strategy to what Belechick did with his patriots against the St Louis rams. Hold and play physical because the refs can’t call everything every single play. Couple this with good guard play against us to get us in foul trouble or get to the foul line. When we had enough talent and depth in the front court this was strategy that UConn could weather but now teams know to have a chance it’s gotta be closer to the UCF strategy.

Paige awesome today. If Liya can’t play the silver lining is Ice will be thrown into the fire and. I think she will respond. I also like seeing Nika play aggressive, even if she drives and misses she makes the defense play her. Hope Qadence can learn to drive and pull up more inside the three. Her drive at the end is something I think she can do more of.
Thanks for all these good points about our game.;)

Reaction Score
My greatest fear was realized today. Providence spurred on by their coach got one of the magnificent 7 injured with their type of play. Not all of the Providence players are like that . Number 2 on Providence is one the best Players in the Big East the way she played today on offense and defense. It is a shame we are up by 30 and don't have enough substitutes to remove one of our starters. Two years in a row. They will have to increase our scholarships to 20 soon.

Reaction Score
No progress has been made on the contact above the shoulders issue. Why? Because there are never consequences.
Just so tired of the cheap shots UConn players have to endure. As was posted, no consequences so teams will continue to play "beat up UConn players". Maybe it's time for UConn to get an enforcer - someone who won't mind being ejected for hammering someone on the other team.

Bottom line we won, by a lot. But Q2 and the start of Q3 was not pretty. Red flags for sure, but nothing can be done now. Needed to be fixed earlier. We can only ride the horses we have. Special shout out to KK for finding her shot!
Let me just say this, I don’t like it one bit, and I’m very PO’d by the injury caused to Aaliyah. I ask the same question, how many times must the UConn players get beaten up, and no penalties paid by the opponent? Yet, when Ice barely brushes up against the opponents, it’s an automatic foul!!! I am so ticked off to see Aaliyah bleeding, and then to hear her cry.

But I blame the officials, especially today. Yes, the guys with the whistles. Because, if they’d called a foul on either of the two Providence players who fouled Aaliyah hard earlier, then all everyone would’ve been warned about the penalty for dirty plays.

I think the NCAA should recommend a stiff(er) penalty for these kinds of plays. One where the opponent gets two free throws, the ball, and the “dirty player” gets ejected, and suspended for the next two games, regardless if it’s regular or post-season. This just has to stop!!

PS: I just don’t like to see a dirty play towards anyone, not just my favorite team.

Reaction Score
In 2021-22 the media was saying all the same things about Shea Ralph at Vanderbilt, how great she was going to be for the program. The previous 5 years under Stephanie White were lousy and they canned her. She's now a respected HC in the WNBA. Vanderbilt didn't play any better under Ralph her first year either, 16-19. Did that bother you too? Point is that no coach looks very good when they don't have talent. What do you think Auriemma would be doing with Providence's roster, especially in the first year?
It's the announcers I have the issue with, not the coach! The coach needs to prove her mettle before announcers tell us every 5 minutes how great she is. She may prove to be a great coach, then the announcers can tell us what a great job she is doing/done. Until then, just call the game!

Reaction Score
My biggest take away from this game was don't piss off this UConn team. After Aaliyah went down, Nika had that drive to the bucket and an And One. Her reaction to scoring said it all. That startd the team to end Providence's hope of an upset.

To the Big East - when are you going to deal with shots to the head and face? Just calling an intentional foul, 2 shots and posession is not enough. That is not a consequence for a shot that injures a player. A shot to the head should be an ejection at a minimum. Maybe add a one game suspicion.

Kudos to Paige. What a game. Kudos to KK for her play on both sides of the ball. And kudos to Ice. She held her own.
@huskeynut, you and I are thinking alike. I just got home and posted something similar to your post, prior to reading the board. So yes, I believe a stiffer penalty must be done by the NCAA or Conference. These cheap shots just got to stop!!

Reaction Score
All of the most important points have been made already but I will repeat what I have said over and over on this site. When the refs do not control the game they and the ones who train them or hire them are responsible for the consequences of physical play. If that same officiating took place in a mens tourney game, there would be a fight every 5 minutes. They refuse to enforce the rules of the game when women play even more so than when men play. Why? One day, there will be a life altering injury directly attributable to their incompetence, laziness, sexism and cowardice. When that happens, the league, the NCAA, and the refs will all be held accountable in another forum.

I feel terrible for Aaliyah. She is gentle, rational, doesn't try to get over with the rules, is always under control and a constant victim of the old "If you can't beat them, beat them up" approach by inferior players. Perhaps Val Ackermann should spend some time looking into this issue and protect the women who play this sport also. Ya think?

Reaction Score
At the beginning of the second quarter Ice was called for a charging foul when a Providence player fell to the floor. To me, it appeared to be an obvious flop. The Providence player appeared to be nearly flat on her back before Ice touched her. Did anyone else see this play as being a flop?
Those are the kind of calls the refs make against UCONN, especially, Ice. Yet they allow a beat-down on Aaliyah. Always!!

Reaction Score
I tried to look up who I could contact in the Big East to voice my displeasure and ofc be civil about it but wasn’t sure who to contact. Just want an explanation why winding up and slashing a player above the head is not an automatic ejection once you rule it was "intentional."

IMO let's be clear- these are college kids. They are smart. The opposing center knows exactly the height if Edwards. IMO she should never be winding up as high as she did vs a player she knows is smaller in height. The intent was definitely not to hurt but the intent is equivalent to malign a non-basketball play when you swing high (wind up) and connect above the head with someone you well know is behind you. She wound up and swing high and followed through behind her. When a player doe that they have no thought of where there swinging might wind up.

It's one thing to keep your arms to collect a rebound. It also okay if you didn’t know someone was behind you or that player was shorter that you just aren't accustomed to fending against. It's also excusable if the arm hits they should then follow up to the face (in terms of not getting ejected.).

Unless some of you that played in College or the Pros can explain why this scenario doesn't warrant ejection and/or this happens all the time? I wouldn't believe it but willing to listen. When you wind up and extend high where do you think your arm is going to go against the other player that you would know very well their height and that they are behind you?

Just asking for an at-the--moment-ejection. Not suspension for next year or other as long as they ejected. Instead, what do we see form this same PC kid in this game in the 4th qtr? She knocks KK down on illegal pick. And KK is not an easy kid to knock down. Then she thinks she is Scottie Pippen and tires to trap probably the quickest guard in the Big East KK - hits with her knee causing KK to collapse. She had no realistic shot to trap her as a center. I get it she has to try but she and others like her also need to be penalized when things go too far. You can't totally excuse players that just aren’t aware what type of injuries they may cause all in the name of hustle.
Very nicely stated.

Reaction Score
My greatest fear was realized today. Providence spurred on by their coach got one of the magnificent 7 injured with their type of play. Not all of the Providence players are like that . Number 2 on Providence is one the best Players in the Big East the way she played today on offense and defense. It is a shame we are up by 30 and don't have enough substitutes to remove one of our starters. Two years in a row. They will have to increase our scholarships to 20 soon.
This makes me chuckle!

Reaction Score
The referees had plenty of warning well before the injuries (even the FS1 announcers noticed the physicality was getting out of hand when Edwards got knocked down the first time). The inside play looked like a rugby scrum.

There was also one play where Providence got a steal and someone was breaking in for a layup and only Shade was back. She blatantly pushed off with her lead hand and scored, and instead of an (obvious) offensive foul, the refs called Shade for a foul. That was the worst call of the game in my view.
I noticed Ash's astonishment at the call.... Like Nika ( well maybe not like Nika )... Ash does not foul!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom