UConn-Providence post game thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn-Providence post game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here is a link I found to the entire staff of the Big East conference (including the Commissioner), with names and email addresses:

Staff Directory - Big East Conference

The name of the Supervisor of Officials for Women's Basketball is Debbie Williamson; however, what a coincidence that her email is NOT listed.

I agree with all posters that said something needs to be done -- there needs to be consequences -- and that these fouls need to be called equally on both teams playing. Otherwise, what we saw today will continue. Players like Aaliyah and KK will continue to needlessly get hurt -- and it will become scary for players like Caroline to play. I'm not saying that "playing aggressively" isn't a good thing. It's got to be aggressive but clean. There's a big difference.

PS -- I'd advise anyone emailing any Big East official to be polite and cite facts, and not be rude or combative.
This is what I saw too. So which of these can I send to? Exactly my intent to be polite. I just want a reason why no ejection. And thank you for saying "polite." That's much better word vs what I used - "civil."

1--- Edwards was behind her. The PC Center knew she was there. Logic dictates when you swing high you might connect whether it be rebound or any other. When you swing high there can be/should be consequences.
2--- The PC center's arm went high and backwards. It was a wind up. A wind up going backwards which connected behind the PC Center.. That’s not a boxout basketball move. It’s an intent to stop by committing a foul hoping the refs won’t catch it because they can’t catch everything. That’s the risk physical teams play to. But a deliberate foul is not a basketball move. :)
3-- It's just what the refs called it to a degree - an intentional foul. (ie a non basketball move.).
4-- And when you swing your arm(s) up high and make connect with an intentional foul, how is that not an ejection if you know a player was there behind you?

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Was it announced before/during the game that Amari was officially out for the game?
I don’t know if it was announced. But certainly, when KK went down, Geno would have put in Amari, if she was able to play, rather than sending Nika back into the game.

Reaction Score
Love the tenacity of the team after Edwards went down. Paige showed up big time when needed. The freshmen, especially KK, were outstanding. Anyone else tired of the fawning over the Providence coach? Except for the covid year, 2020-21, their year to year record have been fairly consistent the past 9 years, no change this year, either!
Why would this coach be responsible for the last 9 years? This is her first year as the PC coach and only one of the regular players is her recruit. And that is Romero who’s one of her best players. Maybe wait to judge her until she’s had a chance to bring in her own kids.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I don’t know if it was announced. But certainly, when KK went down, Geno would have put in Amari, if she was able to play, rather than sending Nika back into the game.
I agree. She was on the bench with earplugs in, so I assumed she wasn't available.

Reaction Score
This is what I saw too. So which of these can I send to? Exactly my intent to be polite. I just want a reason why no ejection. And thank you for saying "polite." That's much better word vs what I used - "civil."

1--- Edwards was behind her. The PC Center knew she was there. Logic dictates when you swing high you might connect whether it be rebound or any other. When you swing high there can be/should be consequences.
2--- The PC center's arm went high and backwards. It was a wind up. A wind up going backwards which connected behind the PC Center.. That’s not a boxout basketball move. It’s an intent to stop by committing a foul hoping the refs won’t catch it because they can’t catch everything. That’s the risk physical teams play to. But a deliberate foul is not a basketball move. :)
3-- It's just what the refs called it to a degree - an intentional foul. (ie a non basketball move.).
4-- And when you swing your arm(s) up high and make connect with an intentional foul, how is that not an ejection if you know a player was there behind you?
I'd write to the Commissioner and CC the Sr. Associate Commissioner, Women’s Basketball and Strategic Initiatives. At the end, I'd ask them to please forward your email to the Supervisor of Officials for Women's Basketball, as her email address is not listed. That way, it's on the higher-ups to take action; and it's on the higher-ups to hold the Supervisor of Officials for Women's Basketball accountable. Plus the Supervisor of Officials for Women's Basketball is much more likely to open an email from her boss, than open one from someone she doesn't know (you). If no action is taken, we'll know that no one in the Big East really cares.

Agree with your points 1-4.

Reaction Score
At the beginning of the second quarter Ice was called for a charging foul when a Providence player fell to the floor. To me, it appeared to be an obvious flop. The Providence player appeared to be nearly flat on her back before Ice touched her. Did anyone else see this play as being a flop?
I said the same thing as it happened... well, I actually YELLED at my TV that it was a FLOP. Ice did NOT knock her over...

Reaction Score
I am at UVA visiting family and will be attending the UVA / GT men’s game tonight so did not see the game. First thing I saw in the ESPN feed was that Aliyah suffered a facial injury. It is getting to the point where I don’t want to check the game casts in fear of what the next injury will be. Ugh!

On to the game tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Marquette seems pretty happy to be playing us tomorrow.
Oh and the Nova/Marquette game wasn't a physical game IMO.
They are happy because if Edward’s is out, they have a chance to win.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Marquette seems pretty happy to be playing us tomorrow.
Oh and the Nova/Marquette game wasn't a physical game IMO.
They should be, Nova beat them twice in the regular season both by 3 points, they finally won one against them.

Reaction Score
she wasn’t ejected because it was not “a clear swing” at Edward’s. The player was going up for a rebound and Edward’s caught an elbow. It happens.
I thought that the rebound had already been settled before the elbow flew.

Reaction Score
At the beginning of the second quarter Ice was called for a charging foul when a Providence player fell to the floor. To me, it appeared to be an obvious flop. The Providence player appeared to be nearly flat on her back before Ice touched her. Did anyone else see this play as being a flop?
Agree. That was as blatant a flop as I’ve ever seen; perhaps the ref’s were out of position to see it.

Reaction Score
I just don't see the intentionality of the foul on Aaliyah. The fouler had her back to Aaliyah, focused on the rebound. Definitely a foul, but intentional? There were a lot worse calls in the game, like some phantom calls against Ash and Ice.
What does "focus" have to do with anything? In other words how much difference is there between focus for a rebound vs making an intentional foul? Can't you do both? The reason why you may foul is that you are "focused" to stop the other, right? So, why are you putting so much emphasis on "focus." It’s; like saying in my guard days I was "focused" to take the player’s right hand away so when they went right sometimes I would raise my left arm to touch against the neck so they would slow down enough so I wouldn't get beat off the dribble. It just so happens on that play they went down in a heap "but what's the big deal, I was "focused?" That's what it sems like you are saying. While exaggerated, the point is that there should not be two ways to call a game – one for the inside and one for the perimeter. A foul is still a foul. And intentional is still intentional. Allowing a player to use her arm to go high above the shoulder in which she knows the other player is there – there is intent to stop by fouling- not to get a rebound but to foul the other to prevent them from getting the rebound. That is not a basketball play. The fact she was going high up to stop makes it that much worse.

And I couldn't disagree more about worse fouls. When you flatten another player, how can there be anything worse than that? Just because a fan might be mroe wiling to accept physical play as "not a foul" -- well that ain't the rules.

Bottom-line is- when someone throws an elbow (or arm(s) flailing high behind them high with a good chance to connect they can be focused on the rebound too but the elbow/arm still is high and against the rules of above-the-shoulder contact.

In this case how can anyone say she was going for the rebound as her left arm is winding up at swinging backwards? That is not going for a rebound. The arm was designed to stop the other/ foul them in order to get the rebound.

Reaction Score
you are 100% correct. She was falling backwards without any contact.

Reaction Score
Why would this coach be responsible for the last 9 years? This is her first year as the PC coach and only one of the regular players is her recruit. And that is Romero who’s one of her best players. Maybe wait to judge her until she’s had a chance to bring in her own kids.
My point is that the current coach in her first year at Providence has done nothing out of the ordinary with this team, and the team is performing at the same level as basically the past 9 years. If you go back and listen to the game, the announcers couldn't stop with the constant high praise for the coach: how she has turned things around, instilled a new culture, and doesn't swear but says "ham sandwich" instead. She certainly knows how to get her players to play with "reckless abandon" physical play. I agree with you as to judging her until she brings in her own kids, (and has a resume) before you anoint her as the best thing in Friarland since sliced bread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom