UConn proved that its fans will travel to Yankee Stadium | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn proved that its fans will travel to Yankee Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I went to the UCONN vs Army game in West Point some 7-8 years ago. It's a beautiful stadium. But last night's game was a strategic move by our athletic department and school to show its presence in the country's #1 media market. That is far more important to UCONN's P5 hopes than playing at West Point.

Reaction Score
I went to the UCONN vs Army game in West Point some 7-8 years ago. It's a beautiful stadium. But last night's game was a strategic move by our athletic department and school to show its presence in the country's #1 media market. That is far more important to UCONN's P5 hopes than playing at West Point.

Yup. It's amazing that some people need that explained.

Reaction Score
Really crappy way to treat fans.

As, I mentioned, it's my fault for not reading the email, but when I opened the pdf and saw the barcode I incorrectly assumed it would be like other venues.

I'll never make that mistake again.
Imagine that, you can board a flight using your cell phone, but can't enter a sporting event. Post 9/11..

Reaction Score
I don't care about all this conference stuff. I enjoyed Yankee Conference games in Memorial as much as I enjoy the DI games. Football is football. It's just me. If UConn isn't home I usually go to a Trinity, Wesleyan or Central game.

Reaction Score
I don't care about all this conference stuff. I enjoyed Yankee Conference games in Memorial as much as I enjoy the DI games. Football is football. It's just me
It's definitely just you. D-1 Football and P-5 conference affiliation is imperative for our athletic relevance going forward. And I'd bet thousands of fans are more like me. While I was a student I always went to Memorial but after graduation I never attended another UConn football game until 2003. It was D-1 status and BigEast affiliation that made me a comitted season ticket holder. I've missed only a handful of games, home or away, since. Downsized football, in the last analysis, isn't enough. Not for me. D-1 football in a meaningful conference is.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I don't care about all this conference stuff. I enjoyed Yankee Conference games in Memorial as much as I enjoy the DI games. Football is football. It's just me. If UConn isn't home I usually go to a Trinity, Wesleyan or Central game.

To each is own and I respect that. I care about conference stuff because I think it has a larger impact on UCONN's entire athletic department as well as academic reputation if they can get a B1G invite (important to me as an alum).

Reaction Score
The point is that both commissioners of the B1G and ACC want their conferences to increase their brand in the northeast. If UCONN can bring 15+K fans to Yankee Stadium to watch a couple of 2-6 teams battle it out in a meaningless game, then UCONN can continue to market themselves as a popular brand in and around NYC/huge northeast markets. Everyone knows that UCONN can pack MSG but if hoops was the needle mover to get into the B1G or ACC, then we would have been added a decade ago. It's not. Football is the needle mover and more strong showings like the one UCONN got last night from its fans helps the P5 resume. Sports are cyclical. UCONN football won't be this bad forever (I hope!). And when it's not this bad, UCONN can very easily convince Delany and/or Swofford that we can and will pack venues like Yankee Stadium and help increase either conferences' desire for more northeast market exposure.
. Guys, I understand playing here once, I just don't see the need to do it again. I get all the crap we are going through. Let me say this, when we are finally in a P5, will you want to give up a home game to play in Yankee Stadium? And yes, I know this was not a home game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Next up: bring literally a million fans to the Duke hoops game in NJ.

Reaction Score
Wildgopher said:
. Guys, I understand playing here once, I just don't see the need to do it again. I get all the crap we are going through. Let me say this, when we are finally in a P5, will you want to give up a home game to play in Yankee Stadium? And yes, I know this was not a home game.

Well, we aren't in a P5 conference, and yes this would be great to do again. We will always need the exposure whether we're in a P5 conference or not.

Reaction Score
On a related note: On last Monday's edition of WTIC Sportstalk, Joe D. had the Yankees Director of non-baseball events on as his guest. The purpose, obviously, was to drum up a last minute effort to hype Saturday's game & sell more tickets. The key point of the segment, in my opinion, was the guest's observation that the Yankees have wanted to host UConn for some time as their mission is to highlight local teams (read that as UConn, Rutgers, Syracuse, Army). The impediment to negotiations was the Ct State Legislature's mandate that UConn can't move home games to off site venues. They must be played at the RENT. The guest stated that inviting UConn as a visiting team in the Army series was the way to circumvent this mandate. He also stated that the Yankees thought that UConn would have been the Big East's team in the Pinstripe Bowl until they qualified for the Fiesta Bowl. My point is UConn is negotiating with one hand tied behind its back in regard to marquee games at Yankee Stadium, Citifield, the Meadowlands, or the Razor. In such games the Huskies will always be invited as the visitors & lack control of percentages of tickets allotted to each team. It's a tradeoff: a true home field crowd advantage (except in Army's case: they didn't represent nearly as well as UConn) vs. large metropolitan exposure. So, expect the Huskies to only to play Army, or the odd N.D., Penn St., BCU, or a traditional FBS powerhouse offsite, & always as the guest team.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
we're moving.................. on to Cincinnati.

Dooley

Reaction Score
On a related note: On last Monday's edition of WTIC Sportstalk, Joe D. had the Yankees Director of non-baseball events on as his guest. The purpose, obviously, was to drum up a last minute effort to hype Saturday's game & sell more tickets. The key point of the segment, in my opinion, was the guest's observation that the Yankees have wanted to host UConn for some time as their mission is to highlight local teams (read that as UConn, Rutgers, Syracuse, Army). The impediment to negotiations was the Ct State Legislature's mandate that UConn can't move home games to off site venues. They must be played at the RENT. The guest stated that inviting UConn as a visiting team in the Army series was the way to circumvent this mandate. He also stated that the Yankees thought that UConn would have been the Big East's team in the Pinstripe Bowl until they qualified for the Fiesta Bowl. My point is UConn is negotiating with one hand tied behind its back in regard to marquee games at Yankee Stadium, Citifield, the Meadowlands, or the Razor. In such games the Huskies will always be invited as the visitors & lack control of percentages of tickets allotted to each team. It's a tradeoff: a true home field crowd advantage (except in Army's case: they didn't represent nearly as well as UConn) vs. large metropolitan exposure. So, expect the Huskies to only to play Army, or the odd N.D., Penn St., BCU, or a traditional FBS powerhouse offsite, & always as the guest team.

It's a good point but doesn't that legislative mandate expire soon? Like 2017 or something? Gotta hand it to our state. Willing to invest BILLIONS of dollars into UCONN but then tie our hands in scheduling marquee neutral site games that could really help promote UCONN in getting out of the AAC.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score

Why? BB wont lead the CR for UConn at all - thats proven. BB has plenty of bandwagon fans they dont need the football fans, its the other way around. BB is coming off a NC there are plenty of fairweather fans that will show up for the Duke game. BB fans need to support the FB whether the product is good or not if they want out of the AAC- but that has always been a negative with the CT fans - going back to the Whalers. In the playoff hunt, packed Civic Center - not in the hunt, 9000 fans.

The casual FB fan is waiting for the product to be good on the field which is going to take time, it just is, whether BD is the fix or not. Without support during the lean years there is NO WAY conferences are lookinig at UConn as a viable option -

Dooley

Reaction Score

Agreed. I've already begun entering negotiations with my wife to go to this game. Might even have to do it solo-round.

Dooley

Reaction Score

New York City is a key battleground between the two power conferences that UCONN has the best shot at getting an invite from. Until we are in a P5 conference, I would schedule every friggin' home game in New York if that's what it would take to show UCONN's reach into NYC (and ultimately get an invite from Delany or Swofford).

Reaction Score
Why? BB wont lead the CR for UConn at all - thats proven. BB has plenty of bandwagon fans they dont need the football fans, its the other way around. BB is coming off a NC there are plenty of fairweather fans that will show up for the Duke game. BB fans need to support the FB whether the product is good or not if they want out of the AAC- but that has always been a negative with the CT fans - going back to the Whalers. In the playoff hunt, packed Civic Center - not in the hunt, 9000 fans.

The casual FB fan is waiting for the product to be good on the field which is going to take time, it just is, whether BD is the fix or not. Without support during the lean years there is NO WAY conferences are lookinig at UConn as a viable option -
You're right. Let's not bring any fans at all.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
You're right. Let's not bring any fans at all.
just 10,000 - 12000...

But if the BB team had a winning pct of 33% no more than 5000 would go - it's the CT factor.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
So glad we made it. Bought 13 tickets, and as usual, had some backouts, but 9'ofmus had a blast.
Easy train ride both ways out of Brewster NY. A few (or more) beers on the train. Lunch (and a few more) at Billy's.
Great day.
Could have ended even better...Ahhhh you all know.
But a great Saturday and a great crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69