UConn President Thomas Katsouleas will leave post, sources say | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn President Thomas Katsouleas will leave post, sources say

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Endowments have everything to do with the financial health and alumni support of a University. UConn is poorly run when it comes to it's finances. Bonding, taxpayers and tuition increases fund UConn.
Academically it is a good University but if the well runs dry it will eventually impact the quality of education. Let's hope that does not happen.
Endowments are not a definitive indicator of the financial health of public universities in the northeast. UConn is backed by the full faith and credit of the state of Connecticut (such as it is). FWIW, the last time I looked UConn had $4 billion in total assets, a $1 billion annual budget and over $385 million of cash or cash equivalents.

Reaction Score
... if you analyze the census data the reason people are flooding to states like Texas and Florida are lower costs of living and less taxation, not cheap education or top notch transportation.
Aside from perceived lower TX and FL living costs and taxation, some people are unaware of or ignore economic growth, employment opportunities and demographics are major contributors enticing moves to the Sunshine State and Republic of Texas. Not just Miami or DFW.

Reaction Score
same thing can be said from an airport standpoint. How the hell does southwestern Connecticut not have a decent functioning airport? Approximately two million people in Fairfield and New Haven Counties and we have to go all the way to Queens or Windsor Locks for a flight? What other metro with that critical mass of people has to go that far? It’s too late now though because no one who lives near Sikorsky, Oxford or Tweed now will ever let the growth of an airport happen.

shortsightedness has been Connecticut’s strength for sometime.
In CT, Sikorsky and Tweed competed for too long. Had the state stepped in and prioritized one or the other, perhaps Fairfield and New Haven counties would have one reasonably good quality regional airport. Not much space for HVN expansion, but aside from the Constution State's Land of Steady Habits, a new airline Avelo is setting up shop in New Haven and AA's reportedly adding back a flight to/fro CLT.

Reaction Score
Here in Georgia, we have an incredible program called the Hope Scholarship, funded by the lottery.

if you graduate High School with a certain GPA (I forget what it is exactly) and maintain a 3.0 GPA in college, you get free tuition to any in-state school.

the program has made UGA extremely competitive to get into (and to a lesser extent Tech, which was already very competitive), so it has the double impact of improving the academic profile of the school while also benefiting in-state students.

this also has down stream positive impacts as well as its improved Georgia Southern, Georgia State, Kennesaw State etc etc in the same way
I bang on the south all the time, but we are elitist up here in new england. It sucks. UConn's AVG. gpa FOR the INCOMING CLASS IS 3.74. minimum for consideration is 3.2. For SAT, you need to be in the top 25% of all SAT takers. Even then, 49% acceptance rate.

This is a state that has Yale, Wesleyan and Trinity too. So, what are the options for in-state if you are a 3.4 student with a 1200 SAT? You end up out of the state to go to school.

Reaction Score
I bang on the south all the time, but we are elitist up here in new england. It sucks. UConn's AVG. gpa FOR the INCOMING CLASS IS 3.74. minimum for consideration is 3.2. For SAT, you need to be in the top 25% of all SAT takers. Even then, 49% acceptance rate.

This is a state that has Yale, Wesleyan and Trinity too. So, what are the options for in-state if you are a 3.4 student with a 1200 SAT? You end up out of the state to go to school.

Central is trying to become that option. There isn't much affordable. You've basically gotta go to SHU, Quinnipiac etc. They're trying to be a better choice than eastern/western, etc. But not as good as uconn.

I think having that option would benefit our state a lot

Reaction Score
If there is that empirical data, it isn't being reflected in USNews. Or any of the other websites and publications parents and kids turn to. About all you can really see is outcomes, and I still believe those are more impacted by reputation than by educational quality. But I think you'd agree with me (based on your comments) that broad generalizations at the university level are likely less accurate than looking at how strong a department or field is at each school.

I wanted to apply the kind of analysis you describe with my daughter. Instead it largely became about fit and feel and subjective things. I looked for the DOE data based on our prior discussion of this point, but couldn't find those numbers.

Knowledge production is an interesting one. I totally get it in the sciences. In business? The community colleges have a lot of active CPAs teaching accounting on the side. I'd argue that is more valuable than somebody who is a pure academic. My best teachers at UConn business school were a retired NYC lawyer teaching business law, and a finance professor who was very active in business still. I don't know how many people going to college become academics later, but it has to be a tiny percentage. One of the appeals of Northeastern to me was the emphasis on experiential learning, practical applications of knowledge.
The professional schools are different from all the other colleges. But students in those schools have to take courses in other colleges too. My undergrad degree was in a professional school largely taught by working pros, not tenured faculty. There are a lot of studies that have recently been done on information retention and skills building in the professional schools versus sciences, engineering and humanities. The problem with the studies is that students are paid to take those exams, and though there are checks to make sure they do it in earnest, it is a self-selecting group. But so far, the studies are not good for business schools.

You are absolutely right about USNews. If anything, schools try to game USNews in ways that badly hurt the college while INCREASING its reputation. For instance, keeping open seats at a minimum when we have demographic pressures requiring us to open MORE seats for worthy students. What good is it driving up your SAT score by keeping out students who are just as worthy? Or even worse, you don't want to hire clinical faculty or non-tenure track faculty because it hurts your % of tenure track faculty score, so what do you do? Load up on adjuncts which is the worst possible strategy for students. The truly weird thing is that USNews is done with a survey. The Carnegie Foundation spends millions of dollars sending their researchers to campuses to gather this information. AND they also review departments and give them metrics to assess where a dept. is weak compared to their cohort.

Reaction Score
The cost for Uconn in state with fees/insurance/room & board is almost 35k....The tuition alone is almost 2x your number. Kids need food and a place to live, so saying all it will cost is 7k is disingenous
I said national average. The state of Connecticut is the bottom 10 for funding public higher education, and it's a high cost state.

Reaction Score
I believe there is a stigma among some within the state that private colleges/universities are better. I also believe that a large portion of our wealthier residents (who have the means to support/advocate/donate) shun UConn for smaller schools or out of state schools. Maybe I’m completely off base with these opinions but that’s just what I seem to notice.
This has been so for generations. UConn 2000 driven enhancements and cost/benefit analysis as private college tuition increased dramatically in the past 20 years has lessened the stigma but it remains strong.

Reaction Score

Ive talked about this on here before, but it’s not an elitist vs non-elitist thing down here.

the elite old money people send their kids to UGA and Tech here whereas old money in FFC does not send their kids to UConn.

it’s just a cultural difference

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
FWIW, down in NJ UConn is viewed as a good state school, but a notch lower than what I would consider peer NE privates.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
FWIW, down in NJ UConn is viewed as a good state school, but a notch lower than what I would consider peer NE privates.
That is part of the parent frustration. They get mad when their kids doesn’t get into BC or PC. Then they get really mad when they don’t get into UConn.

UConn was a good safety school for wealthy kids in the 1970s and 80s. Now? It is quinnipiac? But Q Pec is so expensive. So if you want state school tuition ya gotta get out and head to other state schools with more liberal admission.

ccsu is my dads and wife’s Alma Mater. It serves an important purpose and as my good friend who makes double what I do, you can make it out of ccsu. But, as far as rankings and options, there is no state option for B+ students in this system .

Reaction Score
Central is trying to become that option. There isn't much affordable. You've basically gotta go to SHU, Quinnipiac etc. They're trying to be a better choice than eastern/western, etc. But not as good as uconn.

I think having that option would benefit our state a lot
Can’t do that to central. I love that school. It put food on my table as a kid. But you gotta have a place for C+ and B- students and/or non-traditional students. My dad went there when he was 24-25 after the military and already had a family. He was a terrible high school student. Certainly a lot of very high performers there. But the area needs college grads and Central’s job is to churn them out. It has to be that school that brings in a lot of students and let them rise.

Reaction Score
Endowments are not a definitive indicator of the financial health of public universities in the northeast. UConn is backed by the full faith and credit of the state of Connecticut (such as it is). FWIW, the last time I looked UConn had $4 billion in total assets, a $1 billion annual budget and over $385 million of cash or cash equivalents.
The schools budget is almost triple that now, nearing $3B annually

Reaction Score
Can’t do that to central. I love that school. It put food on my table as a kid. But you gotta have a place for C+ and B- students and/or non-traditional students. My dad went there when he was 24-25 after the military and already had a family. He was a terrible high school student. Certainly a lot of very high performers there. But the area needs college grads and Central’s job is to churn them out. It has to be that school that brings in a lot of students and let them rise.
My story at CCSU sounds similar to your father's. I dropped out of UConn due to too much play and not enough work. Once I realized that I wanted a degree, I went to CCSU at night. There weren't many options in the 80s for night school besides Central. By then, my company was paying for my education and I was a very motivated student in my mid 20s. The only downside was that I had no patience for younger students who weren't taking it seriously. CCSU and I did our job and I was then able to go back to UConn to earn a graduate degree.

Reaction Score
Graduated from CCSU at 39. Two tours Navy, and several other schools and classes combining for multiple associates before finishing there. The more difficult classes for me were the non-major classes. You only get out what you put in. My only regret was that I wasn’t able to pursue my original major due to fulltime jobs and family. GI Bill was my parttime job. 50% waiver for vets, company 50%, and all I had to do was 9 credits+ a semester.

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
I'll bet she's pretty interesting given her diverse background and pretty accomplished if she is your age (and if I have that right). Nice catch.
How do you get a philosophy major off your front porch?

you pay her for the pizza.

sorry I had to. Couldn’t help myself.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
That is part of the parent frustration. They get mad when their kids doesn’t get into BC or PC. Then they get really mad when they don’t get into UConn.

UConn was a good safety school for wealthy kids in the 1970s and 80s. Now? It is quinnipiac? But Q Pec is so expensive. So if you want state school tuition ya gotta get out and head to other state schools with more liberal admission.

ccsu is my dads and wife’s Alma Mater. It serves an important purpose and as my good friend who makes double what I do, you can make it out of ccsu. But, as far as rankings and options, there is no state option for B+ students in this system .
In the Boston area, our instate UMass is considered the economical choice but if you stay in MA they’re probably at the bottom of the top 10 preferred schools (minus a couple of high-ranking programs). What’s interesting is that my wife’s coworker’s kid was looking at Q and UConn. She picked Q because the aid package made it cheaper than OOS UConn tuition.

Reaction Score
In the Boston area, our instate UMass is considered the economical choice but if you stay in MA they’re probably at the bottom of the top 10 preferred schools (minus a couple of high-ranking programs). What’s interesting is that my wife’s coworker’s kid was looking at Q and UConn. She picked Q because the aid package made it cheaper than OOS UConn tuition.
Insane. Quinnipiac is much dinero.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom