UConn President Susan Herbst Talks Academics, Athletics And What Keeps Her Up At Night | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn President Susan Herbst Talks Academics, Athletics And What Keeps Her Up At Night

Reaction Score
You think it’s easy? I spoke to SH on the subject. AAU membership (like a sorority) is by invitation only. There are only 62 schools in the club. And while many are looking to be invited, since 2002 only two schools have been admitted into the AAU. Just two!. Boston University in 2010 and Georgia Tech in 2012. That’s it. Nobody else. In fact during that same timeframe Nebraska was kicked out in 2011 and Syracuse withdrew in 2011 when it realized it no longer met the criteria and wanted to avoid the “Nebraska embarrassment”
At the risk of mixing metaphors, we were adrift in the AAU desert before Susan Herbst came on board. What she’s done to improve our chances has been extraordinary, and however elusive the invitation may be, the effort will go on.
Of course it is not easy. There are benchmarks. But the general perception is that UConn's dashboard needles have barely moved relative to those benchmarks. You are apparently inferring that they have. OK, please share those data with us. I can be convinced and I am sure others can be as well.

You also inferred that there is a clique-sh aspect to membership. Is that really true? Are there instances of those satisfying the benchmarks being rejected? Or, conversely, those not meeting the benchmarks being accepted? I rather doubt that.

Reaction Score
Conference Realignment is a Presidents’ club game, not the AD’s. Chief understand that’s a common misperception but the Presidents not the AD’s drive the realignment bus.
#ChiefCertified
If that's so then what specifically, in your opinion, did she do wrong?

Reaction Score
Are there instances of those satisfying the benchmarks being rejected?

I don’t have the specifics of how far we have come but agreement by three fourths of current members are required to be voted in. They certainly have specific criteria (research spending, percent of faculty who are members of the National Academies, faculty awards, and published/cited works) but subjectivity can never be dismissed in academia. Just look at admission requirements and the ultimate makeup of any school’s freshman class.

What makes the AAU so attractive is the prestige of being selected because the process to be chosen is so lengthy and difficult.

“Notre Dame and Connecticut are not AAU members but would like to be. So in the hubbub over who might be invited someday to join the Big Ten, know that if a school has the black mark of "not being an AAU member," it likely isn't by choice.”

"It is perhaps the most elite organization in higher education," said Michael Kirk, spokesman for Connecticut President Susan Herbst. "You'd probably be hard-pressed to find a major research university that didn't want to be a member of the AAU."
In the case of Notre Dame, the school has a sterling reputation for its undergraduate education. But only in recent years under President John Jenkins has there been a significant push to become a leading research and graduate university. Notre Dame would love to be an AAU member to solidify its status.

"As you know, membership in the AAU is by invitation only, and to date, we have not been invited," Notre Dame spokesman Dennis Brown said. "We do hope, however, that the progress we are making as a research institution will lead to that.”

Reaction Score
Did not built friendly relationships with other Presidents until late in her tenure.
To be fair, she came in without much time to do that, right? That is why I am concerned about yet another regime change. No time to develop those relationships unless the incoming people already have them. Of course, UConn seems to be G5 in academics too so the chances of getting a really big name seem slim.

C

Chief00

To be fair, she came in without much time to do that, right? That is why I am concerned about yet another regime change. No time to develop those relationships unless the incoming people already have them. Of course, UConn seems to be G5 in academics too so the chances of getting a really big name seem slim.
They have every internal politically correct group and political connected type represented on that silly 44 person search committee plus an external national vendor - I wonder if anyone is even thinking conference realignment?

Reaction Score
Of course it is not easy. There are benchmarks. But the general perception is that UConn's dashboard needles have barely moved relative to those benchmarks. You are apparently inferring that they have. OK, please share those data with us. I can be convinced and I am sure others can be as well.

You also inferred that there is a clique-sh aspect to membership. Is that really true? Are there instances of those satisfying the benchmarks being rejected? Or, conversely, those not meeting the benchmarks being accepted? I rather doubt that.

"Upstater," where are you? I believe you have, in previous posts, suggested that the AAU has no wish to increase the denominator while the numerator (research grants) is languishing.

Reaction Score
"Upstater," where are you? I believe you have, in previous posts, suggested that the AAU has no wish to increase the denominator while the numerator (research grants) is languishing.
Not to worry, the benchmarks aren't in the box anyway. Get those things lying flat for more than a year or two and then we can have a discussion about being on the outside looking in.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
There's not evidence that AD Dave is going anywhere. I don't know what criteria they will use for the next pres but I doubt athletic connections will be one of them. We'll see.

He’s been sniffing around for other jobs ever since he got here.

Reaction Score
He’s been sniffing around for other jobs ever since he got here.
If you are not sniffing around, you are not paying enough attention to your career. In just about any field. Guilty of giving your career a lack of attention for too long and you will end up with just a job rather than a career. Network, network, network.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
That's why I knew that Suzie and her hair and make-up dog and pony show was going to bomb in the Big12 presentation with the good-old boys watching. What doesn't fit and Why?????
LOL. The good ole boys didn't even invite Houston. But sure, our problem was Herbst not showing up in a bolo tie and boots.

Reaction Score
That's why I knew that Suzie and her hair and make-up dog and pony show was going to bomb in the Big12 presentation with the good-old boys watching. What doesn't fit and Why?????
LOL. The good ole boys didn't even invite Houston. But sure, our problem was Herbst not showing up in a bolo tie and boots.

... or USF. Misogynistic batsards!

Reaction Score
I heard the B12 discussion went very well and had they made a choice UConn were well positioned. So I guess that is a disconnect with what others heard.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If you are not sniffing around, you are not paying enough attention to your career. In just about any field. Guilty of giving your career a lack of attention for too long and you will end up with just a job rather than a career. Network, network, network.

There’s a difference between that and having a foot and a half out the door.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Vintage Connecticut...only the small minded, parochial, provincial politicians and residents of a New England state would have used "traffic issues" as a reason to build a football stadium 25 miles from a college campus with 16,000 students.

Politicians had a lot to do with that decision and it was a bad decision that we have to live with. I will say the infrastructure would have been addressed and fixed on RT 195 and RT 44 along with RT 32

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Politicians had a lot to do with that decision and it was a bad decision that we have to live with. I will say the infrastructure would have been addressed and fixed on RT 195 and RT 44 along with RT 32

It was high time to fix all of that eons ago. A narrow, two lane hwy. from I-84 through the entire campus and onward to Willimantic is a vestige of the 1950's. It all remains essentially exactly the same as when I attended UConn in the mid-1970's. It's a total disgrace.

Reaction Score
I'm somebody who used to put in dozens of hours, for nothing, preparing UConn basketball content. After the way KO has been treated by the school, I've decided to walk away from the program entirely.

I think her heart is in the right place and I think she's accomplished some great things. But that will be her legacy for me.

Reaction Score
Respectfully disagree. FB is a business and the students are secondary. Donors, those in the seat-backs and enclosed areas are the primary marketing targets. They got the land in return for only the naming rights at a location that would maximize the experience for the 10%. Welcome to the real world. Money talks. Why do you think so many BB games are at the XL? Bigger barn, more convenient.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom