UConn Players in the Pros | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Players in the Pros

Reaction Score
We will finish above UMass Amherst, so all is not lost.
And Maine. Thompson made UConn a place a kid can go and get drafted, he's done his share. I don't expect Letunov to go, he's not ready from what I've seen and the stats aren't there. He'd be a borderline ECHL player right now. No reason to go yet.

Reaction Score
Good for Tage! The Blues will take their time with him in the AHL, but with Statsny's contract expiring after next season and Lethera expiring the year after that, there will be two center spots open in St. Louis in two years.

It's an intriguing long-term spot for him and I'm curious to see how he does in the AHL this season.

Reaction Score
Good for Tage! The Blues will take their time with him in the AHL, but with Statsny's contract expiring after next season and Lethera expiring the year after that, there will be two center spots open in St. Louis in two years.

It's an intriguing long-term spot for him and I'm curious to see how he does in the AHL this season.
I was hopeing for another year of Thomson / Letunov but good for Tage. Can't wait to get my Thompson Blues Jersey.

Reaction Score
NHL clubs always think they can develop a player better than the NCAA. So this is no surprise and in fact I called it. Same route as Ron Hainsey who was drafted 11th I believe and left UML after 2 years. Is it the best route? I simply don't know. A year or two more putting on muscle mass in college would be very well spent. It took Ron several years to reach the NHL permanently and it only happened when Montreal put him on waivers to go back down and Columbus grabbed him. But you gotta think Tage has the best advisor in the business in the person of his Dad.

Yeah, I think it is 50/50 whether or not Letunov leaves. Slightly different situation. Maybe he stays one more year. Depends on what his club wants.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I think what has hurt UCONN hockey on the ice is solid depth. Our first line was pretty good. Big drop off after that which over the long hall hurts in many ways. Hopefully Max stays and has a Tage type season next year. If everyone else can take a step up and some of the new kids are as good if not better than some of the seniors leaving, we can climb the standings and win a game in the playoffs.

Reaction Score
Didn't surprise me Tage left. I think
He will get beat up in the AHL in the short term. Needs time strength and bulk but he is talented enough to be a solid player eventually.

I agree that depth has been an issue for us so far. Not really surprising I guess.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
While not unexpected, it is still disappointing as a UConn fan. Really had high hopes for our teams ascension in HE next year if we had Thompson (was expecting an opening round bye in the HE tournament). Now our ceiling is likely trying to host an opening round series.

If Thompson had stayed, I think we could have had a 'DREAM TEAM' type season that could have really ignited interest in the program in CT. Thompson could have been the first player to see his number raised in the new hockey arena in a couple of years if he had stayed another year and brought UConn to the top of the HE and made our first real NCAA tournament appearance. Oh well.

Reaction Score
While not unexpected, it is still disappointing as a UConn fan. Really had high hopes for our teams ascension in HE next year if we had Thompson (was expecting an opening round bye in the HE tournament). Now our ceiling is likely trying to host an opening round series.

If Thompson had stayed, I think we could have had a 'DREAM TEAM' type season that could have really ignited interest in the program in CT. Thompson could have been the first player to see his number raised in the new hockey arena in a couple of years if he had stayed another year and brought UConn to the top of the HE and made our first real NCAA tournament appearance. Oh well.
While that possibility existed, there was also the chance that he came back, the team continued to flounder, and his stock began to fall. Right now, coming off another great year and a solid performance in the World Juniors, his stock was about as high as it was likely to get at UConn. While it would've been great for the program for him to stay, he made the best decision for him and his future.

Reaction Score
While that possibility existed, there was also the chance that he came back, the team continued to flounder, and his stock began to fall. Right now, coming off another great year and a solid performance in the World Juniors, his stock was about as high as it was likely to get at UConn. While it would've been great for the program for him to stay, he made the best decision for him and his future.
Yup. timing is everything in life.

(Btw, I have never been accused of good timing.) ;)

Reaction Score
So I guess the tweet answers my question, but he starts right away with the AHL team in Chicago?? I didn't realize it was immediate. Can't wait to see how he does.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
So I guess the tweet answers my question, but he starts right away with the AHL team in Chicago?? I didn't realize it was immediate. Can't wait to see how he does.

That's one of the fun - weird things about the AHL/NHL. You'll see kids immediately who were playing in college just a few weeks before.

Reaction Score
Starts right away. One of the perks for him, and all players, is that they can sign their entry level contract now and begin the clock towards being able to sign their second deal that isn't capped. So if he plays one game as a pro this year that counts as a full year on the ELC clock.

Reaction Score
Starts right away. One of the perks for him, and all players, is that they can sign their entry level contract now and begin the clock towards being able to sign their second deal that isn't capped. So if he plays one game as a pro this year that counts as a full year on the ELC clock.

So, the AHL is considered pro, not just the NHL?? I need Cliff notes for this.

Reaction Score
So, the AHL is considered pro, not just the NHL?? I need Cliff notes for this.
I mean, it's a professional league. His ELC is likely two-way, meaning he gets paid one amount for AHL games and another for NHL games. The clock starts when he plays his first professional game, regardless of the level.

Reaction Score
I mean, it's a professional league. His ELC is likely two-way, meaning he gets paid one amount for AHL games and another for NHL games. The clock starts when he plays his first professional game, regardless of the level.
Thanks so much for explaining it to me. I appreciate it.

Reaction Score
Just checked in with how Thompson is doing in the AHL. No points in 4 games so far, but he's on a line with talented, but undersized forwards: Ty Rattie: former 2nd rounder back in the AHL after spending most of this season in Carolina/St.Louis' press box; Andrew Agozzino: 40 pts in 60 AHL games this season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom