UCONN Player efficiency versus Wichita State | The Boneyard

UCONN Player efficiency versus Wichita State

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
1578025136896.png

Reaction Score
Excuse me, please. Could you explain what player efficiency is in a very succinct manner without using big words and just plain simple to a very old man? Thank you, very much.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One of the aspects of the past few games that has been somewhat disappointing is Kyla’s decision making. Her passing, particularly from the high post, has been a strong point. More recently though, she has tried to force passes, leading to a number of turnovers. Even though Kyla has started 7 games in a row, the Huskies are still searching for that 5th starter imo. I suspect Anna will be up to bat again soon.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Excuse me, please. Could you explain what player efficiency is in a very succinct manner without using big words and just plain simple to a very old man? Thank you, very much.
While the efficiency stats in BM’s graph don’t necessarily calculate as I understand efficiency, it is usually a simple formula: pts+rbs+ast+stls+bl-missed shots-missed ft’s-turnovers.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
....Could you explain what player efficiency is....

....a simple formula: pts+rbs+ast+stls+bl-missed shots-missed ft’s-turnovers....

@oldude has it about right.

It is a statistical way of measuring a players productivity.

Take for example Irwin (not to pick on her, but) ...
====> 17 minutes on the floor and -2 productivity.
====> IF Griffin (for example) had been given those 17 minutes
====> --- her stats extrapolate to another 8 points + a few more rebounds, steals, etc. etc.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
AND, not to pick on Geno, BUT:

He fell into the same trap these past two years.

Year before last (2017-18) he should have given Walker many more minutes to prepare her for significant help minutes in end of year tournaments. Didn't happen - we lost.

Last year (2018-19), it was Ododa's turn. Loads of missed minutes to get her ready. Didn't happen - same result, we lost.

Here's hoping that this year (2019-20) will be different. Griffin needs minutes.

Reaction Score
One of the aspects of the past few games that has been somewhat disappointing is Kyla’s decision making. Her passing, particularly from the high post, has been a strong point. More recently though, she has tried to force passes, leading to a number of turnovers. Even though Kyla has started 7 games in a row, the Huskies are still searching for that 5th starter imo. I suspect Anna will be up to bat again soon.
A few of the passes, as Uconn was being pressured, I wondered if some of the player (Irwin was one) had vision problems. It appeared they tried to throw the ball through the defender. I know, from experience, sometime you are so determined to make a pass the defender isn't seen. But that happens usually only ONCE.
Ania is a top player with fitting in issues but before the NCAA she will be all we expected. She is strong, a good post defender/rebounder, fanastic passer, and an excellent 3 ball shooter. When her near comfort zone arrives she'll amaze us a bit.

Reaction Score
While the efficiency stats in BM’s graph don’t necessarily calculate as I understand efficiency, it is usually a simple formula: pts+rbs+ast+stls+bl-missed shots-missed ft’s-turnovers.
You have to admit the numbers were pretty, looked nice all lined up that way. Then it took effort to put them all together from the game stats. B for effort at least.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
...B for effort at least...

@Bellemare - you give me way too much credit. I just developed a little Java program to mine the data from the ESPN results page, presenting it in the same order as their report and adding the "Efficiency" calculation; then, sorted in descending sequence based on the score. Runs in milliseconds :)

Reaction Score

You are correct, that is the formula I use (source) although there are many different formula given the same "efficiency" name, maybe we should specify (e.g. "Manley Efficiency")?

I have determined the formula used by OP

pts+reb+ast+stl+blk-missed FG-missed 3FG-turnovers-fouls.

Variation to "Manley Efficiency":
1. added fouls
2. added missed 3FG
3. removed missed FT

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member