UConn Play Of the Year | The Boneyard

UConn Play Of the Year

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I hope that this thread hasn't already been posted and I missed it...so

Of all the regular season games and BE tournament games, what is your single Play Of the Year?

Mine is Paige's final shot against SoCarolina.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The final SC shot had a little bit too much luck for me to say the best play. I will go with the old standby of Paige's TN shot in front of their fans on a bum leg and TN roaring back and Lobo announcing the birth of the next UConn Icon

Reaction Score

Of all the regular season games and BE tournament games, what is your single Play Of the Year?

Not that it matters much, but that’s a little bit of an unfortunate lasting image of that game. It was a fortuitous bounce - meanwhile, it’s the four 18-foot jumpers (and steal and two FTs) before that which should be remembered - those just aren’t sexy highlights.

For that reason, I’d probably take the Tennessee one as a singular moment. Cold shooting day, off an injury, a lot of pressure since we were on the verge of choking away a game we had. That one really took moxie.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Can anyone tell me the names of the two announcers in that clip? SC vs (UConn)

Reaction Score
You have to go with SC shot. It wasn't luck. She knew the shot clock was expiring & squared up with a hand in her face. She made it. Luck would be a half-court heave.

She scored the last 13 points for UConn in that game - the last 4 in regulation & all 9 in OT. I mean, c'mon. That's the very definition of carrying a team on your back, when it counts to pull out a win against the 2nd best team in the country.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I know one of them is Monica McNutt. Former Georgetown player and all over ESPN and other venues lately. The one who is way over the top.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I have two plays of the year. First is the teamwork play of the year - Edwards to Muhl to Bueckers to Edwards in the Butler game 2/27/21. Bodes well for the future. Second is the individual effort play of the year - Edwards in deep post recognizes an unguarded three before Butler did. She rushed to 3pt line blocking the shot and taking it to basket for hoop amd harm - Marquette 2/5/21. See next post for 2nd video.

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Monica McNutt and Lisa Byington I believe.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Not that it matters much, but that’s a little bit of an unfortunate lasting image of that game. It was a fortuitous bounce - meanwhile, it’s the four 18-foot jumpers (and steal and two FTs) before that which should be remembered - those just aren’t sexy highlights.

For that reason, I’d probably take the Tennessee one as a singular moment. Cold shooting day, off an injury, a lot of pressure since we were on the verge of choking away a game we had. That one really took moxie.
"fortuitous"? really? Every shot in WBB is fortuitous! It went in, that's all that matters and what makes it a great play.
So based on your criteria, the TN shot was just as fortuitous for the reasons that you cited. But the TN shot would be my runner up.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Well, the bounce WAS fortuitous, but just hitting the rim at all with (a nanosecond on the time clock 2) no time to set and 3) a hand in her face was skill of an inordinate quality.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
It wasn't at such a critical point in a game, but I thought Paige's drive against Marquette that ended in a switched-hands reverse layup was the most technically amazing. Honorable mention goes to her driving baby hook shot over Boston against South Carolina.

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score

Ditto!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Another one that sticks out to me is Paige's full court drive weaving around multiple players in the Seton Hall game (2nd game of the season) beating the 3rd Q buzzer and contorting her body for the tough bank shot and one. Being so early in the season, this was like a most delectable appetizer signaling a feast of fantastic plays and winning ball.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I have two plays of the year. First is the teamwork play of the year - Edwards to Muhl to Bueckers to Edwards in the Butler game 2/27/21. Bodes well for the future. Second is the individual effort play of the year - Edwards in deep post recognizes an unguarded three before Butler did. She rushed to 3pt line blocking the shot and taking it to basket for hoop amd harm - Marquette 2/5/21. See next post for 2nd video.

I really like this one for multiple reasons. First, Aaliyah just rips the ball away from the opposing player. Great brute strength. Then Aaliyah motors past most of the players on the floor while Nika does her job of pushing the ball up the floor. Then Paige looks for the onrushing Aaliyah and feeds her for the easy bucket. The combination of physicality and ball movement are exceptional. And by the way, all 3 players involved are just freshmen!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The final SC shot had a little bit too much luck for me to say the best play. I will go with the old standby of Paige's TN shot in front of their fans on a bum leg and TN roaring back and Lobo announcing the birth of the next UConn Icon

Paige wanted to punch something orange!

Reaction Score
The Play of the Year is the play that has the most impact during the year. While fancy layups and handoffs are fun, they do not impact the team's season. SC and TN did. My vote is SC since the dagger over the then #1 team sealed the win and the #1 ranking the following week and for the rest of the regular season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom