UConn plans to help promote, find sponsorship deals for its athletes. Here’s how it will happen (Hearst) | The Boneyard

UConn plans to help promote, find sponsorship deals for its athletes. Here’s how it will happen (Hearst)

Reaction Score

Alternate access link to read full article <<

-> UConn’s athletic department has rolled out initiatives aimed at boosting the platform of its 650 athletes, collaborating with the school’s Peter J. Werth Institute for Entrepreneurship and Innovation to provide resources relevant to one constant in the fluid NIL landscape — one’s ability to develop a public image and/or business plan.

“We want UConn student-athletes to know they are going to have to work to really make money in NIL, but it also sets them up for an entire career post-UConn,” said UConn professor David Noble, director of the Werth Institute. “We’re a $30-plus million institute funded from philanthropists to bring entrepreneurial opportunities — anything that falls on that spectrum of self-employment, family business, social media, social influence, product development, all of these things all the way out to hardcore technology. ... There’s a place on the entrepreneurial spectrum where our students have the ability to make money, make a living and build out their skill set. We don’t get paid to sit around and wait for the world to come to us, so we want to build.” <-

- >The idea moving forward is for UConn student-athletes to begin building a social media following best modeled by one of its most famous alums, Marc D’Amelio, patriarch of a family prominent in social influencing. His daughter Charli is the most-followed account on TikTok and daughter Dixie ranks in the top 10. “Marc D’Amelio is tweeting about a plan to support the robust development of social media for student-athletes,” Noble said. “We’re looking at media careers, the pathway to media careers. ... This program first in class, first deployed where you have an academic program developed to support social media influencers and their entrepreneurial dreams. That’s how you get paid, eventually. We see it starting with, you pay me to promote your product, then I start promoting my own products, and eventually I’m a partner in companies. In talking to Marc D’Amelio on this, that’s how they built, that’s what their family is — and it’s valued in the hundreds of millions of dollars.”<-

->Learfield IMG, UConn’s multimedia rights holder and licensing agent by terms of a contract that extends through 2033, will work with Opendorse to promote individual athletes in the way it currently promotes UConn athletics as a whole. The Opendorse-Learfield partnership was announced by the companies last week and will impact schools across the country.

In short, UConn student-athletes can now be more prominently pushed into the marketplace. “It’s my belief, especially with the news out of the Capitol, that we have people that understand the parameters and the usage of those [UConn] marks,” Benedict said. “So we plan to have someone in the marketplace selling on behalf of the student-athletes. They are already doing that for the university and our athletics program, so why not build that out further and have someone dedicated and their sole focus is to sell on behalf of the student-athletes? It will be good for our student-athletes and for people in the marketplace because they’ll know where to go if they want to engage with our student-athletes.”<-

Reaction Score
Wichita State AD was just fired for not moving on NIL.

Reaction Score
The UConn AD needs to leave this to private industry…getting the UConn Entrepreneurial folks involved is a joke. And telling potential student athletes they’re going to have to “work hard” to make NIL $$ at UConn isn’t the message we need to send for recruiting purposes. Time would be better spent by the school convincing businesses that NIL deals will be mutually beneficial to the school and the company involved. This isn’t complicated…let’s not over think it!

Reaction Score
Time would be better spent by the school convincing businesses that NIL deals will be mutually beneficial to the school and the company involved.
Isn’t that what this is saying?:

“So we plan to have someone in the marketplace selling on behalf of the student-athletes. They are already doing that for the university and our athletics program, so why not build that out further and have someone dedicated and their sole focus is to sell on behalf of the student-athletes? It will be good for our student-athletes and for people in the marketplace because they’ll know where to go if they want to engage with our student-athletes.”

MyDorona

The Hebrew Hammer
Reaction Score
"Of the 2,500 college football players that entered the portal over the past two years, according to numbers circulated by the NCAA, only 54 percent have enrolled at a new school...'You have these kids that had a scholarship and had an opportunity that don’t now. I’m not so sure that was necessarily the goal for everybody when they dreamt up the new transfer portal situation.' [-Benedict]"

This is the true tragedy of the new regime.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The AD Department is in serious red territory financially and needs to be finding money from benefactors to help that situation, not paying players. This NIL crap will disappear once everyone sees its a mess that cannot be equitable and workable.

Reaction Score
The AD Department is in serious red territory financially and needs to be finding money from benefactors to help that situation, not paying players. This NIL crap will disappear once everyone sees its a mess that cannot be equitable and workable.
One can only hope.

Reaction Score
Not sure that I am liking NIL right now. Not sure that I will ever like it because it does not pass the smell test for me. That being said, it is here, and all that we can do is watch it transpire.

Reaction Score
Not sure that I am liking NIL right now. Not sure that I will ever like it because it does not pass the smell test for me. That being said, it is here, and all that we can do is watch it transpire.
The idea of NIL is great and should be a thing. But the the NCCA was not prepared once they lost the court case that allowed it to come to life. In typical NCAA fashion they threw all their eggs in one basket and now we’re in this current mess because they were neither proactive or reactive.

Reaction Score
The idea of NIL is great and should be a thing. But the the NCCA was not prepared once they lost the court case that allowed it to come to life. In typical NCAA fashion they threw all their eggs in one basket and now we’re in this current mess because they were neither proactive or reactive.
The NCAA is such a mess. The implementation of NIL has been so botched it's not even funny. They were so scared of lawsuits and governmental intervention that they just let things happen without thinking through everything. No wonder why Emmert is getting thrown out, errr I mean stepping down.

Reaction Score
The NCAA is such a mess. The implementation of NIL has been so botched it's not even funny. They were so scared of lawsuits and governmental intervention that they just let things happen without thinking through everything. No wonder why Emmert is getting thrown out, errr I mean stepping down.
It’s not botched. The NCAA has allowed this to happen because they want Congress to step in and regulate college sports - not just with regards to NIL, but everything.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if Mike Anthony gets paid by the word? His articles are always so long. Us ADHD Yarders have a tough time reading these. :)

Reaction Score
It’s not botched. The NCAA has allowed this to happen because they want Congress to step in and regulate college sports - not just with regards to NIL, but everything.
Do you have any articles on that subject? That seems like a strange strategy. When so much money is involved usually people don't want Congress anywhere near their business. I'd think the P5 schools would be scared to death to have Congress stepping in.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
The leadership of the NCAA has made the institution into a classic bureaucracy whose existence alone is the primary motive and driving force which underlies its decisions or lack therof. In a sense that is really reactive because it doesn't do anything which will endanger its existence. All institutions need to be challenged on their motivation for existence.

Reaction Score
Calhoun in the Courant. “Yeah ... I hate to throw everything at the NCAA because they have an impossible job, I understand that.”

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just in time for the NCAA crackdown!
Except that this collective is providing real opportunities, rather than just being a conduit for cash.

Reaction Score
That professor Noble grew up the right way with his speech about student athletes working hard to earn their $’s.
Now today’s reality, the thing they should be focused on is their sport. They shouldn’t be working hard on social media etc., that’s not how recruiting and NIL are going to work. The recruit will go to the highest bidder (or close to it) without any work other than the product on the court and perhaps some appearance and photos/videos.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom