UConn photo: Defensive stations at practice | The Boneyard

UConn photo: Defensive stations at practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
uconn defense.jpg

Defense is where it all starts... Last year, UConn had the following defensive stats:
1. Held opponents to 31% field goal accuracy.
2. Total of 375 steals, 9.4 per game. :cool:
3. Blocked 324 shots, vs. only 752 made field goals by opponents. ;)
4. Total turnovers created = 667 or 16.7 per game.
5. Opponents scored just 47.8 points per 40 minute game.
6. Three pt. defense held opponents to only 26.3% accuracy & 65.9% on free throws. :rolleyes:
7. 1,233 defensive rebounds vs opponents 492 offensive boards.

Go Huskies...!!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I like seeing Williams working without a brace. :)

Reaction Score
View attachment 7231

Defense is where it all starts... Last year, UConn had the following defensive stats:
6. Three pt. defense held opponents to only 26.3% accuracy & 65.9% on free throws. :rolleyes:

Go Huskies...!!

DavidinNaples and GenoinStorrs recognize what wins games and separates UConn WBB (the best) from all the rest.

Reaction Score
My favorite stats from last year's championship game:
  • Notre Dame scored 9 points in the first 16 minutes of the 2nd half
  • Notre Dame scored 20 points in the entire 2nd half (11 points in the last 4 mins after the game was well out of reach).

Yes! And that's after ND averaged 87 ppg during the regular season and 84 in the NCAA tournament games.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Someone is getting a one-on-one tutorial from Geno.

Reaction Score
View attachment 7231

Go Huskies...!!
Excellent information and in particular, point number 3! The other stats are appreciably easier to come by but the comparison of blocked shots to opponent field goals is impressive. On point number 6, some people may scoff at the free throw percentage, because it would seem like it's irrelevant to UConn's defense but when the Huskies make you work so hard in your offensive sets to get an even decent field goal attempt off, you're probably fatigued and rattled and less likely to have the sweet stroke you may normally have when shooting foul shots. So, there is some bearing on that stat! Well done!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
When we consider the great defense, an annual hallmark, but even more so last year, to me the most stunning part of it all was the fact that U Conn had the fewest fouls called in Division I. Absolutely extraordinary. Big bonus? It pissed of Muffet. In the Final 4 Kara and Rebecca had some fun with that and pointed out that a thin bench is no problem when you have a starting 5 who don't foul and are conditioned to go the distance.

Reaction Score
When we consider the great defense, an annual hallmark, but even more so last year, to me the most stunning part of it all was the fact that U Conn had the fewest fouls called in Division I. Absolutely extraordinary. Big bonus? It pissed of Muffet. In the Final 4 Kara and Rebecca had some fun with that and pointed out that a thin bench is no problem when you have a starting 5 who don't foul and are conditioned to go the distance.
Add to the fewest fouls the most blocks EVER and you have a double double that may never be repeated!

Reaction Score

Yep! Great point on the toasted Muffin. When interviewed after the game (I think w/Holly Rowe) Muffin said she thought the game turned when in the second half, she anticipated (prayed really) that Geno would go to his bench, at which point ND would be able to cut into the big UConn lead against the subs, but that rascal Auriemma didn't cooperate, he kept his starters in. You can do that when you have super conditioned athletes who runrunrun every practice. McBride in particular was breathing heavy, sucking wind 10 minutes into the game during free throws. I think our talent tends to overshadow another critical element of our success- our girls are insane competitors.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
If you are in position not fouling is a lot easier than when you reacting to getting beat. UConn doesn't foul much because of UConn's defense is extraordinary. I think out everything Geno does well, and there is a lot to choose from, teaching defensive fundamentals is probably the biggest contributor to his success.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My favorite stats from last year's championship game:
  • Notre Dame scored 9 points in the first 16 minutes of the 2nd half
  • Notre Dame scored 20 points in the entire 2nd half (11 points in the last 4 mins after the game was well out of reach).
I loved that first stat. I recall looking up at the scoreboard and thinking that ND had been stuck on that number since about halftime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom