UConn opponents 2012 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn opponents 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Achonwa averaged 17 minutes per game last season. If she plays 27 minutes per game scoring and rebounding at the same rate that is 12 points and 7 rebounds per game. Stefanie Dolson's stats were basically the same as freshman and sophomore too. Not that uncommon at all for players who don't change roles from season to season.

And if cows could fly, we would all be using umbrellas. 27 minutes a game is a huge stretch for Achonwa.

Reaction Score
How is it a huge stretch? 27 minutes is actually probably conservative. Who else on Notre Dame is going to play those minutes?
And if cows could fly, we would all be using umbrellas. 27 minutes a game is a huge stretch for Achonwa.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
How is it a huge stretch? 27 minutes is actually probably conservative. Who else on Notre Dame is going to play those minutes?

They will WANT her to play 25+, but based on what I have seen of her play, she will struggle to stay on the floor.

Reaction Score
Achonwa does things that don't show up in the stat sheet. First, she's good operating out of the high post in their 4-out offense. Second, she has some thug in her. She'll play dirty. She'll play rough. She gets under the skin of opponents. Watch her off the ball. She takes shots at opponents. It reminds me of the way Misty Williams used to play for Duke. Coaches will never publicly praise it, but behind closed doors they love it and it helps the team win.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Achonwa does things that don't show up in the stat sheet. First, she's good operating out of the high post in their 4-out offense. Second, she has some thug in her. She'll play dirty. She'll play rough. She gets under the skin of opponents. Watch her off the ball. She takes shots at opponents. It reminds me of the way Misty Williams used to play for Duke. Coaches will never publicly praise it, but behind closed doors they love it and it helps the team win.

Who will be playing the low post when she is doing that?

Reaction Score
Who will be playing the low post when she is doing that?
When teams run a 4-out, 1-in, there is often no "low post". It's a very popular offense these days. Duke's men have been running it for years.

U

UCONNfan1

I'm not sure why DD is so down on Achonwa. From what I've seen of her (Big East Tourney) and the Olympics, she had moments of looking really good and moments of looking a bit lost. I don't see any reason why she can't stay on the court for 25-30 minutes per game.

Would she always be effective? Probably not. In a way it would be like if we didn't have Dolson. Stokes would have to play 30 minutes per game unless we wanted to go with Buck. Still, imagine if we only had Buck. Say she was in for 30 minutes a game. she'd either get it, or not. I see Achonwa a bit like that (Buck or Stokes - probably closer to Stokes skill-wise).

They will need her to play the minutes and I think she will be up to the challenge. As I said, from what I"ve seen, I like her game and think she's solid.

If you are trying to find reasons why you think ND could hang with UCONN (the generic "you"), then Achonwa would not be a reason. She's not as good as Dolson and I think Stokes could handle her too. But in general, I think Natalie will be solid for them.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
When teams run a 4-out, 1-in, there is often no "low post". It's a very popular offense these days. Duke's men have been running it for years.

You are right of course and that was a dumb question on my part. Sorry.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I'm not sure why DD is so down on Achonwa. From what I've seen of her (Big East Tourney) and the Olympics, she had moments of looking really good and moments of looking a bit lost. I don't see any reason why she can't stay on the court for 25-30 minutes per game.

Would she always be effective? Probably not. In a way it would be like if we didn't have Dolson. Stokes would have to play 30 minutes per game unless we wanted to go with Buck. Still, imagine if we only had Buck. Say she was in for 30 minutes a game. she'd either get it, or not. I see Achonwa a bit like that (Buck or Stokes - probably closer to Stokes skill-wise).

They will need her to play the minutes and I think she will be up to the challenge. As I said, from what I"ve seen, I like her game and think she's solid.

If you are trying to find reasons why you think ND could hang with UCONN (the generic "you"), then Achonwa would not be a reason. She's not as good as Dolson and I think Stokes could handle her too. But in general, I think Natalie will be solid for them.

I've been too tough on her. You have made excellent points.

U

UCONNfan1

I've been too tough on her. You have made excellent points.
Thanks. Sorry i wasn't trying to call you out - I certainly agree she's no Dolson. I guess my point was, if ND needs to rely on her to beat UCONN, then they are going to get blown out. I think they will rely much more on their perimeter (guard) game this year and hope Achonwa can provide solid defense and score a bit too...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom