UConn opens as +12 point underdog to Middle Tennessee State @ home on 10/22/21 | The Boneyard

UConn opens as +12 point underdog to Middle Tennessee State @ home on 10/22/21

Reaction Score
I would absolutely LOVE to see the Huskies win this week. Recently I was listening to Chris Childers on the ESPNU station on Sirius-XM. He & Rick Neuheisel were giving their thumbs up of certain teams's performances the previous weekend. Coach Rick extolled UMass for getting off the schneid against UConn.
Now the rub: Childers first congratulated UMass's head coach on the win as he was a classmate. If he had stopped there, I would have been fine with it. But, NOOOO! Childers is based in Nashville & had attended the Vanderbilt game in person. He went on a rant about how UConn couldn't get out of its own way & were an embarrassment to college football.
Childers is an alum of MIDDLE TENNESSEE STATE. It would be divine justice for the Huskies to proverbially say "Stick it Chris!"

Reaction Score
I would absolutely LOVE to see the Huskies win this week. Recently I was listening to Chris Childers on the ESPNU station on Sirius-XM. He & Rick Neuheisel were giving their thumbs up of certain teams's performances the previous weekend. Coach Rick extolled UMass for getting off the schneid against UConn.
Now the rub: Childers first congratulated UMass's head coach on the win as he was a classmate. If he had stopped there, I would have been fine with it. But, NOOOO! Childers is based in Nashville & had attended the Vanderbilt game in person. He went on a rant about how UConn couldn't get out of its own way & were an embarrassment to college football.
Childers is an alum of MIDDLE TENNESSEE STATE. It would be divine justice for the Huskies to proverbially say "Stick it Chris!"

Childers can pound sand. There’s a reason they call him the “Show Pony” on that show. There’s plenty of blame to go around for the current product on the field here at UConn, but calling them an embarrassment to CFB is a joke.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
UConn is better at run D than pass D- what is MTSU's offensive strength? If they're a strong passing team it's worse for us.

Reaction Score

FWIW MTSU has a nice medium-sized campus & nice facilities. Short drive ~30min from Nashville. Visited it during campus tours ~2 yrs ago as it's one of the few unis with a program in Fermentation Sciences (daughter's current major).

I'd love to get a home-and-home with them as it'd be another reason to visit Nashville & watch UConn football there.

I'm feeling pretty good about taking us with the points this Friday.

Reaction Score
Childers can pound sand. There’s a reason they call him the “Show Pony” on that show. There’s plenty of blame to go around for the current product on the field here at UConn, but calling them an embarrassment to CFB is a joke.
He is obnoxious but UConn has given him plenty of reason for him to say that. I hope they can win so he will cry next Monday.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
FWIW MTSU has a nice medium-sized campus & nice facilities. Short drive ~30min from Nashville. Visited it during campus tours ~2 yrs ago as it's one of the few unis with a program in Fermentation Sciences (daughter's current major).

I'd love to get a home-and-home with them as it'd be another reason to visit Nashville & watch UConn football there.

The only home and home I want in Tennessee is with Vandy or UT.

Reaction Score

Uh, I think your daughter told you that was her major as a smart-alec way to say she is drinking a lot of beer at college.

or

Post/handle

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
UConn is better at run D than pass D- what is MTSU's offensive strength? If they're a strong passing team it's worse for us.
Here are a couple comparisons that might shed more light on this:

UConn Rushing Defense: Ranked 116th out of 130. Giving up 232 ypg/4.54 ypc
UConn Passing Defense: Ranked 74th Giving up 231.4 ypg/12.9 yards per completion

Middle Tennessee Rushing Defense: 97th out of 130: 187 ypg/4.63 ypc
Middle Tennessee Passing Defense: 100th out of 130: 250.7 ypg/10.52 yards per completion

On Offense:

UConn Rushing Offense: 102nd out of 130 teams. 118 ypg/3.68 ypc
UConn Passing Offense: 119th out of 130 teams. 160.4 ypg/4.93 yards per completion

Middle Tennessee Rushing Offense: 123rd/130 teams. 89.7 ypg/2.88 ypc
Middle Tennessee Passing Offense: 60th/130 teams. 241.5 ypg /11.78 yards per completion

On paper, they pass better. We defend the pass better.
We run better. They defend the run better.

Could be anybody's ball game.

So why the point spread?
Probably because they've actually put some points up (50 points in a win over Monmouth, 45 points in a win over Tennessee State, 39 in a loss to Charlotte) and only lost to Michigan by 11 (40-21.)
They haven't been shut out and they have 3 wins.

This is a winnable game. Going to come down to aggressive play calling. Let Krajewski send it. Let Marion run.
If we get one whole game of the first-half D we got against Yale, and if the coaches will put the team in a position to let them win, they will.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Here are a couple comparisons that might shed more light on this:

UConn Rushing Defense: Ranked 116th out of 130. Giving up 232 ypg/4.54 ypc
UConn Passing Defense: Ranked 74th Giving up 231.4 ypg/12.9 yards per completion

Middle Tennessee Rushing Defense: 97th out of 130: 187 ypg/4.63 ypc
Middle Tennessee Passing Defense: 100th out of 130: 250.7 ypg/10.52 yards per completion

On Offense:

UConn Rushing Offense: 102nd out of 130 teams. 118 ypg/3.68 ypc
UConn Passing Offense: 119th out of 130 teams. 160.4 ypg/4.93 yards per completion

Middle Tennessee Rushing Offense: 123rd/130 teams. 89.7 ypg/2.88 ypc
Middle Tennessee Passing Offense: 60th/130 teams. 241.5 ypg /11.78 yards per completion

On paper, they pass better. We defend the pass better.
We run better. They defend the run better.

Could be anybody's ball game.

So why the point spread?
Probably because they've actually put some points up (50 points in a win over Monmouth, 45 points in a win over Tennessee State, 39 in a loss to Charlotte) and only lost to Michigan by 11 (40-21.)
They haven't been shut out and they have 3 wins.

This is a winnable game. Going to come down to aggressive play calling. Let Krajewski send it. Let Marion run.
If we get one whole game of the first-half D we got against Yale, and if the coaches will put the team in a position to let them win, they will.

I'd say both UConn's numbers on defense against the run and against the pass are skewed.

If Fresno wanted to do so, they could have passed for 600 yards and ran for 0. Only reason they had so many rushing yards is because they were literally running out the clock. Ditto for Purdue. On the flip side, Army could have passed for way more, but then put in their second and third string QB to run out the clock as well.

Eyeball test says pass defense has gotten much better. Run defense is still brutal due to average defensive line and horrible linebacking play. LB's just cannot get to the line and stop a run or force a run to the sidelines and out of bounds.

Reaction Score
Didn’t UConn play these guys just before moving to the Rent? If so, that wasn’t a good game for UConn. Hopefully some payback after all these years!

Reaction Score
Didn’t UConn play these guys just before moving to the Rent? If so, that wasn’t a good game for UConn. Hopefully some payback after all these years!
66-10, November 4, 2000 in Storrs. We had 4 ints and lost a fumble for 5 turnovers.

Reaction Score
MTSU will be coming off a bye week after getting clobbered by Liberty. Not sure what to make of this one. Can see us either getting blown out or giving them a fight like we did with Wyoming & Vandy.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
The only home and home I want in Tennessee is with Vandy or UT.
Agree. We need to minimized home and home series with C-USA, MAC, and Sun Belt schools as much as possible.

Reaction Score
MTSU will be coming off a bye week after getting clobbered by Liberty. Not sure what to make of this one. Can see us either getting blown out or giving them a fight like we did with Wyoming & Vandy.
I see less chance of a blowout because I don't think they're as good as Wyoming and Vandy was on the road. So, being at home I think we keep it close and if we are +2 or 3 in turnovers we could win a close one. We'll see - so difficult to predict this team due to inexperience at most positions.

Reaction Score
Uh, I think your daughter told you that was her major as a smart-alec way to say she is drinking a lot of beer at college.

or

Post/handle

it’s likely a bit of all three! Kid wants to get into brewing industry and someday open her own brewery. I think it’s awesome and I can’t wait to retire and help out as needed ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom