UConn, Ollie ready to move back to the top - Says Dickie V | The Boneyard

UConn, Ollie ready to move back to the top - Says Dickie V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I expect Dickie V to win over some UConn fans posting something positive.

Reaction Score
Dickie needs an editor. It's wrong and it reads weird

Ollie landed two immediate-impact transfers that will help. Start off with formerSeton Hall Pirates guard Sterling Gibbs, a second-team All-Big East selection. It is not easy to sign a scorer late in the recruiting process, but Gibbs will give a boost to the offense after averaging over 16 PPG second in the Ivy in scoring (16.8 PPG) and rebounding (8.5 RPG) last season.

Reaction Score
Gibbs averaged 16.8 ppg and 8.5 rpg in the ivy? We know he meant miller but come on.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score

Ollie landed two immediate-impact transfers that will help. Start off with formerSeton Hall Pirates guard Sterling Gibbs, a second-team All-Big East selection. It is not easy to sign a scorer late in the recruiting process, but Gibbs will give a boost to the offense after averaging over 16 PPG second in the Ivy in scoring (16.8 PPG) and rebounding (8.5 RPG) last season.

He meshed Gibbs and Miller into one horrificly-constructed thought. On par for Dickie V and ESPN

Reaction Score

He also linked to 'Jaylen Adams' of St. Bonaventure fame.

Reaction Score
He meshed Gibbs and Miller into one horrificly-constructed thought. On par for Dickie V and ESPN

THAT WAS (not) AWESOME, BABYY!!!!

However, having UConn articles on the front page of ESPN NCAAB is always a great thing. In the not so distant future I believe Ollie will become beloved by ESPN and we will hear a lot more about this team on a national level.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I'm surprised that this article wasn't written under the caveat that Ollie is going to leave for a NBA job.

Reaction Score
It's amazing what passes as an article these days. Could that have taken less effort?

Reaction Score
this proves that espn does not edit their stuff. that was darren rovell style bad

Reaction Score
Not sure if Dickie knows exactly what we did in the offseason. Someone probably told him we got good transfers and he went from there, but I like that he's writing about us.

Reaction Score
I talked to Dickie V at a spring training game this year (years ago I would have berated him in a more youthful fit of anti-Dook rage) and he was like "man, UConn needs a lot of players ... and "the talent level is not very good" and was like he saw a ghost at how bad he thought our prospects were this year. So to do an about-face speaks to what Ollie has done. We know it as 'Yarders but good to see that outside our biases others see it and confirm it.

Reaction Score
The article is certainly written almost comically badly, but I will say Dickie V has always been a fan of ours. Yeah, he's not on our jock like Duke or UNC, but he's always been one of our biggest proponents. I remember the first year we won it all, he was one of the only guys to pick us at the start of the season over Duke.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
While reading this, I could only imagine the entire thing in Dicky V's voice YELLING the entire time. Can't lie, it got me kind of amped up.

That was the reason I stop reading it lol

Reaction Score
I really don't understand how we're not top 10 in preseason polls. We have one of the best PG's in the country, an explosive SG, a future lottery pick SF, a double double machine PF, and a rim protector C. We have a complete team. Easily top 10 in my opinion.

Reaction Score
I really don't understand how we're not top 10 in preseason polls. We have one of the best PG's in the country, an explosive SG, a future lottery pick SF, a double double machine PF, and a rim protector C. We have a complete team. Easily top 10 in my opinion.
It might have to do with when the latest polls came out....this roster hasn't been together on paper for very long

Reaction Score

There's a chance they will have 2 guys who never put a Husky uni on before in the starting line up, real good chance. And the first off the bench will be the same. Chemistry needs to part of the equation and although they seem to get the team concept you won't know until they hit the court. I for one hope they are near the #20 area rather than top 10. They will get tested early enough so let's take our time.

Reaction Score
It just hit me that 'Dick Vitale' would be an excellent prompt for the Jeopardy parody on SNL.

Reaction Score

Teams I would have ahead of us at this point: UNC, Kentucky, Maryland, Duke, Kansas, Indiana, Gonzaga, OU and Wichita State. After that it because a real cluster **** from 10-20. May be forgetting one or two but I wouldn't have us top 10 preseason with our team so untested. Let's not forget that we had that explosive SG, future lottery pick SF and rim protector C last year to go along with a fantastic PG and we had a terrible season based on UConn standards.

Reaction Score
Teams I would have ahead of us at this point: UNC, Kentucky, Maryland, Duke, Kansas, Indiana, Gonzaga, OU and Wichita State. After that it because a real cluster **** from 10-20. May be forgetting one or two but I wouldn't have us top 10 preseason with our team so untested. Let's not forget that we had that explosive SG, future lottery pick SF and rim protector C last year to go along with a fantastic PG and we had a terrible season based on UConn standards.

Indiana has no point guard depth (We have JA). So foul trouble to Yogi spells doom. The Hoosiers lost depth with the loss of 2 key reserves. I don't like the Michigan transfer at all to replace them. Kentucky should be a shell of last years team and they didn't reload to E8 caliber in my opinion. Vanderbilt may even challenge them for SEC positioning. Gonzaga is front court heavy with an unproven back court. Sure they could and probably will dominate the WCC . Although Pepperdine and BYU have a good chance of beating them in league play. 2016-17 the Zags will be loaded again if Sabonis is still there. Maryland is legit and matches our starting line-up and may have the edge. Our bench though may have a slight edge on MD's. It wouldn't surprise me if we see MD 2 times this year. I like WSU but the 5 spot is not that strong. Depth after the 6th man also isn't on the same level as the top five or 6 teams. Guard play could carry them though if they get hot. So WSU has to be considered a legit contender with a great coach. With our 2 additions in Miller and Gibbs we have the depth and talent to take them out 7 out of 10 times IMO. Kansas is loaded and only lost Oubre who was an inconsistent college player. I think Diallo is the #1 player in the 2015 class. Bragg is a good addition. So strictly on paper Kansas is a title contender if they don't choke it away in the tourney. Duke is a wild card but I am not buying them as finishing in the top 2 in the ACC after losing the Big 3 . I am taking UNC and Florida State. UNC should be national title contender worthy as they lose 1 guy to early entry that could easily be replaced. So I can see UNC, Maryland and Kansas as 3 teams that arguably could be better than UConn on paper. I think the loss of Thomas will be felt by OU. They are stacked in the back court though and IF Manyang can fit in for Thomas then OU could be right there with Kansas to win the Big12. That is a big question mark though.

I am putting quite a bit of stock in the Gibbs/Miller additions. Adding this type of experience is invaluable. The Maryland vs UConn game at the Garden should be epic. Both teams made huge additions in the GS category to put them in position to win a National Championship. Let's hope ours take theirs to the woodshed. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom