UConn number 9 in espn 50 in 50 | The Boneyard

UConn number 9 in espn 50 in 50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There are a lot of schools in this country and to be considered in the top 10 is outstanding. I can't complain.

Top 10 - I'll take it.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
sorry - 'Cuse ahead of UCONN is a joke
The program also was docked six points for NCAA infractions in 1992.

Fun fact: Syracuse is the highest-rated school on our list with just one national title to its name.

Reaction Score
It actually says a lot that UConn is #9 considering they didnt have any type of major success for the first 25 years ESPN was counting. Thats why im ok with Louisville and Syracuse ranked ahead of us because it kind of does make sense. BUT...if you were going to do one of these rankings over the last 20-30 yrs, UConn makes a very strong case for being #1 or #2. Nobody can disagree with that.

Reaction Score
Fun list but when I see Murray St, Penn, Davidson, Weber St, BC, ect. my eyes kind of gloss over...

Reaction Score
I may have read it wrong, but I think they stopped @ 2004. So Uconn's 2011 NCAA win was n ot included but SU's 2003 NCAA win was. Coincidence? Gotta love BSPN.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I may have read it wrong, but I think they stopped @ 2004. So Uconn's 2011 NCAA win was n ot included but SU's 2003 NCAA win was. Coincidence? Gotta love BSPN.
they included the 2011 season

Reaction Score
You are right. I was looking under BEST Team And 2004 was the last year mention. I happened to like the gritty 2011 team.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
funny that the last six years is considered a negative because we didn't win a tournament game in four of those years

the other two we advanced to the FF and won a NC

how many teams have > 10 tournament wins in that span? more titles? more final fours? I'm thinking not many, none and none

Reaction Score
funny that the last six years is considered a negative because we didn't win a tournament game in four of those years

the other two we advanced to the FF and won a NC

how many teams have > 10 tournament wins in that span? more titles? more final fours? I'm thinking not many, none and none

That is a great point, and begs a philosophical question. As a fan, would you prefer either to:

A) be in contention every year, but never win it all
or
B) be in contention only 1/3 of the time, but win it all a large fraction of those times

Basically, do you prefer consistency, or epic highs alongside epic lows/mediocrity?

Perhaps ESPN is suggesting that the hallmark of a top program is consistency (how often you're in the top 10), rather than championships (how often you're #1).

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
John Lennon would be pleased.

"Take this brother, may it serve you well..."

Reaction Score
That is a great point, and begs a philosophical question. As a fan, would you prefer either to:

or
B) be in contention only 1/3 of the time, but win it all a large fraction of those times

Basically, do you prefer consistency, or epic highs alongside epic lows/mediocrity?

Perhaps ESPN is suggesting that the hallmark of a top program is consistency (how often you're in the top 10), rather than championships (how often you're #1).

As an Eagles and Flyers fan I know what consistency feels like and the feeling of never winning it all. I will take option B 10/10.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

or

it's an interesting argument

we were that consistent program that never played in the Final Four throughout the 90's, until 1999.

I think I'll take a FF every 3rd year and early exits the other years

Reaction Score

or

This should be sent to the people at ESPN who compiled this "50 In 50". It would be interesting to see the results. Greatness can be measured in so many ways. We are lucky as UConn fans that we have so many ways to prove this. Whether it be National Championships, Big East Championships, Big East regular season champs, national rankings, how many players in the NBA, and so forth, we epitomize greatness.

By the way, I prefer choice B, as I think most people do.

Reaction Score

or

Well this is the main reason people dont view UConn on the same level as Duke,UNC,KU,UK. Those teams are in the NCAA tournament every year. I know Carolina missed a couple yrs ago and had a bad year under Doherty but all those schools simply do not miss the NCAA tournament. I dont think we ever made the NCAA more than 5 years in a row? A lot of people see that as a negative. Sure it kinda sucks having those down years but to Calhouns credit he ALWAYS rebuilds which is a big positive and it shows you why he is such a great coach. Remember hes not getting 3-4 McD all americans every year like those other schools. He develops kid better then anyone.

Reaction Score
The fact that Syracuse - perennial tourni choker - is ranked so highly tells all, does it not? Rewarded for merely being very good, year after year. Consistency, as it were.

It's like highly ranking the guy who attempted to climb Everest 100 times, got there once, but came close 94 other times. Well done son.

Best question is - if UConn pulls down another NC in the next 4 years, where are we then (regardless of what happens the other years)? It would be impossible not to be top 5 at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom