UConn - Notre Dame post game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn - Notre Dame post game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The UCONN freshmen played like freshmen & the seniors except for Alliyah did not play like seniors.
That's OK. It's a learning experience.
Also, having Ice Brady first off the bench instead of Aubrey is a big factor.
I thought Ash had a good game after she settled down. The team was nervous and it affected the freshmen in a very negative way. Terrible defensive lapses, bad shots and passes, just seemed out of their depth. In a game like this, the unresolved weaknesses become glaring. In the 4th quarter, the only ones that should be shooting are Paige and Liyah and Ash when fully open and the ball should be going under to Liyah constantly. She was the best interior player on the court. Give her the ball.

Reaction Score
And off the court but on the air: Hated, HATED the announcing!
Me too! Whose idea was it to hold an interview for 5 minutes of game time while totally ignoring play by play??
The only replays were from several posessions earlier. They never replayed several vital plays.
Stephanie White is very knowledgable. But she talks endlessly during the action and doesn't give Gus Johnson a chance to call the game.
Otherwise, I thoroughly enjoyed the broadcast!! ;):)

Reaction Score
Nika fouled out with a lot of time to go and the game was effectively over. If anyone doubts Nika's importance to the team, this team ought to show otherwise.
Too many Uconn heroes in Gampel this night. I'd have the jitters playing before the best of Uconns best. Cheers to YOU for you Nika comment.

Reaction Score
Let us not take down Nika. For most of 4 years she played hard and played well. In 99 games out of 100 I want NIKA in the game. She shall always be one of my 50 top Uconn players ( Geno has had so many).
We want her in the game too, that's why fouling out like she did was so disappointing

Reaction Score
Nika fouled out with a lot of time to go and the game was effectively over. If anyone doubts Nika's importance to the team, this team ought to show otherwise.
When she fouled out, my mind went immediately to the LSU game vs S Car with Reese fouling out. I knew we would lose.

Reaction Score
I love Paige, but playing passive, deferring to freshman has to end. Say what you will about Caitlin Clark, but some games, even when her shot is off, she keeps firing and shoots herself into a rhythm. That pass to KK underneath on a 3 on 1 was a prime example.
I have to agree. I don't believe that Paige should have to do everything. But I NEED her to start just dominating from the start. She is the best player on the floor, she needs to own it. I love that she is unselfish but sometimes the greats need to just step up and be great.

We literally had a discussion the other day on the BY about where Paige stacks up against the UConn greats. She doesn't take over like a DT or Maya or Stewie. NONE of those players were selfish players but they just knew when it was time to step up. Clark does it too.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Just gonna put it out there: the Domers are your kryptonite. Not sure why, but they always rise to play their best against you. Paige et al will bounce back from this. The only game that truly matters is the last one of the season.

JBK

Reaction Score
Let us not take down Nika. For most of 4 years she played hard and played well. In 99 games out of 100 I want NIKA in the game. She shall always be one of my 50 top Uconn players ( Geno has had so many).
We all love her but she would get zero time if she was on ND

Orc

Reaction Score
We want her in the game too, that's why fouling out like she did was so disappointing
0 points yikes. Hard to win big games when its 4 vs 5 on offense

Reactions: Nev
Reaction Score
I don't know what to say.

But I knew that a different ND team should show up today compared to Thursday and look what happened. Sigh.

Missed bunnies and some absolutely devasting mental errors that just killed us every time we started to get momentum. You just can't have that, especially from the upperclassmen. There was one time when Paige tried to get cutesy with an extra pass when the easy bucket was right there ... why? Just why? Please just shoot the ball. Please just make the easy layups.

I love Nika but fouling out early into the 4th quarter is just plain terrible.

I don't understand how Syracuse was able beat ND twice and yet UConn just looked absolutely lost at time. The fact that they killed us on rebounding and points in the paint is just so hugely frustrating. How does that even happen?

Felt so positive about how much progression the team made this year and now I just feel like it's gonna be another out at the S16 again. Yes we're back to killing everyone in the BE but we haven't really been able to win the big games this year and it's worrying.

I know it's a young team and all that, but Hidalgo is also a freshmen. She put up 34 points! She practically single-handedly beat us, when we weren't beating ourselves with dumb fouls and/or TOs. And ND has also suffered from injuries as well, so it's not just us.

Not good. I don't know what they need to do but the SCar game is going to be a nightmare if they don't figure some stuff out before then.

I am trying really hard not to be a doomer but it's another bad big game. We are not where we need to be.
The South Carolina game wasn't going to be great--with out a good 6 ft 5. Peter has proved his principle once again. You go as far as the talent shall take you--a different game without Ayanna, Caroline, AZ

Reaction Score
For some reason, I'm least annoyed by this loss. Paige struggled but she had been super hot for the last couple weeks. I thought Ashlynn and KK played well. AE played well. It's funny, I thought the secret to this team was that Paige and Nika basically would be able to do whatever was needed game to game to push the team to victory. But it was kinda the opposite tonight. Both did not have too much of an impact on the game. Obviously Hannah Hidalgo was incredible. This was a first team all american type performance from her. Westbeld was really good as well. Nat Marshall and Sony played relatively well. I like ND's roster, I'm a bit surprised how much they struggled in ACC play.
I think the 4 guard lineup was not great, and then I thought Ice and other bigs really struggled with ball screens. It's strange to have two great defensive point guards but struggle so much againsy guards so much. Kiki Rice, Saniya Rivers, Hidalgo just seemed to have field day on us.
Overall, this loss was a bit of a gut punch in that losing by double figures at home to a team ranked less than you is not great. But I think Paige's shooting night and Nika's performance are a bit of an aberration. The only thing that slightly bugs is that in the interviews prior to the game, it seemed like the team was downplaying the rivalry. I do think this game meant something to ND, they seemed into it, as every team is to play us.

JBK

Reaction Score
I have to agree. I don't believe that Paige should have to do everything. But I NEED her to start just dominating from the start. She is the best player on the floor, she needs to own it. I love that she is unselfish but sometimes the greats need to just step up and be great.

We literally had a discussion the other day on the BY about where Paige stacks up against the UConn greats. She doesn't take over like a DT or Maya or Stewie. NONE of those players were selfish players but they just knew when it was time to step up. Clark does it too.
She needs to play the point and always have the ball in her hands. - like Clark

Reaction Score

This point is especially glaring when facing against an opponent who has a super talented player who does dominate from the start. Hildago never stopped trying to look to shoot and score. Never.

Reaction Score
You couldn't cheat the pick and fade. So you no paint help. Corner couldn't slide down because of shooter in the corner. When they did try to help Westbeld got wide open looks. I thought they should have played zone more.
Agreed. Sorry to see little coaching adjustments in this game when it was apparent that some was needed.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
How do you let a 5’6” kid drive the lane over and over?
I guess you don't remember Lauren Park-Lane for Seton Hall. I don't think she ever torched us but she could drive down the lane.

Reaction Score
All I can say is that ND had a great game plan and they executed it. Hidalgo is a phenomenal young talent. I’m not going to assign blame to any Husky players. ND deserves all the credit. They simply outplayed UConn tonight.
I agree--Hidalgo was amazing. I can understand maybe the 34 points, but how does UConn give up 10 rebounds to a 5'6' guard?

Reaction Score
One freshman scored above her avg and is among the top freshman in the nation. Are you paying attention?
Shade was 0 for 6 from 3 point range and that is a key part of our offense. All her missed attempts were short.
KK played OK, but forced too many shots and was ineffective on defense.
Ice & Q were non- factors.
I love our freshman. But they got little help from the Senior & tonight was a learning experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom