UConn / Notre Dame Analysis | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn / Notre Dame Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Why do you repeatedly say that KML needs to get to the line? She has taken 19 ft in 12 games, not a regular visitor to the line, 3pt shooters rarely are and her inside game is better than a year ago but not her bread and butter. UConn does not need her to get to the line to win this contest, we need her to hit 3's.

Well we needed her to hit 3's against ND last year, too, but in the three losses she was a combined 2-8 from deep while playing heavy minutes. The Irish are a good enough team that they have been able to focus on taking that away. ND was also a combined 58-74 from the line in those losses compared to 31-44 for UCONN. If a team has a history of grabbing/holding and playing very aggressive defense to clog up the offensive flow while not getting called for it, and still defending the 3 pretty well, someone needs to be able to make to make them pay for it by upping the ante and making tough plays through contact rather than shying away. That's often the only way to get calls in those rough games. In many of the ND games last year, Tiff was that player, and she got to the line much more than anyone else. Bria sometimes too. I'm not saying KML has to go to the line for us to win (note that I still pick us by 7 even if we spend little time at the FT line and the Irish camp there), but she is much improved this year and IMO is the best multi-threat we have, and so the most difficult for ND to defend. They can't take everything away. My guess is they will again focus on her 3-ball and that will give her other opportunities in the midrange and getting to the lane. (Her step-back jumper against Stanford spoke volumes.)

When we struggle against ND it's because they disrupt our offense and our players don't respond. Stef should do well but I personally see KML as our key in this game. It could turn out completely differently, for example Bria or Stef could lead the way on the offensive end, or we could have good balance again as we have several times this year. But I have my eye on KML.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Mallory defended KML last year and did a good job. Not sure who will guard her this year, perhaps McBride who is not the defender Mallory was. I do expect UConn to aggressively take the ball to the basket against ND in addition to looking for 3s.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Mallory defended KML last year and did a good job. Not sure who will guard her this year, perhaps McBride who is not the defender Mallory was. I do expect UConn to aggressively take the ball to the basket against ND in addition to looking for 3s.
Like I said in my analysis, the match-ups will change throughout the game.

If UConn has it's best (for some) lineup in the game how does ND defend that in a man to man situation?

UConn - Hartley and Faris in the backcourt. Dolson, Stewart, Lewis in the frontcourt.

ND - Diggins and Loyd in the backcourt. Achonwa, Braker, McBride in the frontcourt.

Mismatches everywhere in UConn's favor.

Reaction Score
DogDaddy, I agree with every analysis. Except one. I think the Faris/McBride matchup is EVEN. I wouldn't give the Adv to UConn here. You ahve a good offensive player in McBride against a good defensive player in Faris. Size is about Even. Both have confidence in their talent on court. Both will be needed to win this game. If McBride doesn't get touch fouls called on Faris and live at the line, Faris wins the day.

NO NO NO! I like McBride,but Kelly is not only a GREAT DEFENDER she is the best ballhandler Assists and A/TO Ratio and 10 TOs in 12 games! Her all around game,level of play for 40 mins,intensity,athletism impact she has on teammates puts her
over McBride! She is also a better 3 pt shooter and everything that is not measured statistically!
Ira

Reaction Score
NO NO NO! I like McBride,but Kelly is not only a GREAT DEFENDER she is the best ballhandler Assists and A/TO Ratio and 10 TOs in 12 games! Her all around game,level of play for 40 mins,intensity,athletism impact she has on teammates puts her
over McBride! She is also a better 3 pt shooter and everything that is not measured statistically!
Ira
Kelly should wear a big red "S" on her chest... she is Superwoman!

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Kelly should wear a big red "S" on her chest... she is Superwoman!

The piles of praise finally showing up in her senior year may seem excessive to some of you. Yeah, maybe Kelly is being cited as Superwoman and gushingly. I consider this simply a catch-up for all the indifference and lack of appreciation despite all her contributions during the past 3 years.

Reaction Score
The piles of praise finally showing up in her senior year may seem excessive to some of you. Yeah, maybe Kelly is being cited as Superwoman and gushingly. I consider this simply a catch-up for all the indifference and lack of appreciation despite all her contributions during the past 3 years.

Reaction Score

I don't believe there has been an indifference or lack of appreciation concerning Kelly over the last few years by fans that follow the Huskies. Her defensive skills and a lot of her contributions don't make it to the box scores or headlines so the casual followers might not be aware of her talents. With her making some offensive contributions this season, she has brought attention to he other skills. It is unfortunate she's getting some attention she deserves a little late but with her unselfish attitude, I doubt it bothers her.

Reaction Score
I think Kelly is also stepping up her game, knowing it's her senior year and that the WNBA draft is right behind it.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think Kelly is also stepping up her game, knowing it's her senior year and that the WNBA draft is right behind it.

I made comment on the Baylor board that I believe that she will be a first round pick, possibly top 10. Many Baylor fans have not seen her play enough to realize that she is the real deal and should not be overlooked. I know that Mulkey will not make that mistake and will give her the attention she deserves.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The key to this game will be the inside play of Dolson. She will probably get Achonwa in foul trouble and UCONN will probably have a layup drill for much of the game.

Reaction Score
Why do you repeatedly say that KML needs to get to the line? She has taken 19 ft in 12 games, not a regular visitor to the line, 3pt shooters rarely are and her inside game is better than a year ago but not her bread and butter. UConn does not need her to get to the line to win this contest, we need her to hit 3's.

It does seem as though too much FT emphasis is becoming an issue in discussing KML's game. She's a 3 shooter. Sometimes it seems we disdain 3s and would rather she get a 2 pt shot instead. Is this the new math or something?
For KML, I say let 3s rain or reign or whatever.

Reaction Score

I agree with you !00%
I don't think Kelly is receiving an excessive amout of praise,attention,gushing etal! For some it may appear that way for 3 years some of us
have been singing her praises<while on this board others have bitched about her,complained about her minutes,her offense,her starting ad nausium!!

Well what has happened is that she finally is getting the media attention that she deserves and has for more than this season! It can seem like alot since
she wasnt getting what she deserved!
It is funny that those who bitched about her seem to have dissapeared;) I would hate to see a poster
who put down Kelly now.

Anyone remember past seasons! Dont be surprised if Kelly wins MVP of the Team
at the end of the Season:)

Re KML! What can you say! Kelly and she seem to have committed to learning from one another!
The 2 became workout buddies and commited to working on the areas of their games
that the other excelled at! The RESULT is incredible and is
going to lead not only to a vanguishing of ND today,but more importantly
to making us an even bet or better to beat Baylor in New Orleans for the NC!

Regarding Free Throw Shooting KML is an excellent FT Shooter and of course you/we
want her going to the line alot! That is an area of her game
I bet she continues to work on:) That along with everything else
has transformed her from a shooter to an all around VERY Elite player!
She will be an AA this year! Count on it;)
Ira

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits