UConn not in Albany? Portland bracket here (merged) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn not in Albany? Portland bracket here (merged)

Reaction Score
Very favorable draw for UConn. Happy to have USC as the #1 in our region. I said earlier this season a Sweet 16 might be the expectation, but an Elite 8 or Final 4 is possible. No one's beating South Carolina. Hopefully, we get Sarah Strong and can get back to contending for championships.

Reaction Score
I'm so annoyed right now. I would have never bought Albany tickets if I'd known. Ugh, the last thing I wanted to do was have to watch LSU, SC, Iowa ...
I don’t understand. How could you have bought Albany tickets not realizing that there was a decent chance we wouldn’t end up playing there? It’s not like we were a top 5 team all year.

Reaction Score
I don’t understand. How could you have bought Albany tickets not realizing that there was a decent chance we wouldn’t end up playing there? It’s not like we were a top 5 team all year.
I bought the tickets when they first came out and thought there was a solid chance we'd be put in Albany. You don't have to be a top 5 team to be put there.

Reaction Score
I bought the tickets when they first came out and thought there was a solid chance we'd be put in Albany. You don't have to be a top 5 team to be put there.
I understand, but there is always a risk. That’s why I choose not to buy tickets early. Hope you can go and see some great women’s basketball or sell them and make some $$.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately my mom still wants to go ... If it were just me I'd already be selling to the highest bidder. :oops:
Gotta love moms. Way to go, Mom. Go to the game and enjoy. Rock the UConn gear and help continue to grow the game. I am making that drive to South Bend (from Minneapolis) to watch ND host their games. I don't like none of those teams but to help grow the game. I am there!

Reaction Score
I love our bracket! A lot now just depends on how badly we want to advance. We just have to worry about the team we are facing at that moment and being in that attack mode from the jump. Be assertive and aggressive from the start offensively and defensively. If we happen to meet Ohio State, we have to be in attack mode and finish our layups. It will be a track meet, but I believe that our players are in decent conditioning and will match Ohio State's level of conditioning. But I love our bracket.

Reaction Score
#3 in Portland
Perfect for our tourney chances. Not so much for our whiney ticket holders. Been there, done that and ended up seeing some great basketball but sadly w/o Uconn. Done it the other way too (much more enjoyable).

Reaction Score
I was hoping to avoid 3 teams. South Carolina, LSU, and UCLA. Their size intimidates me. I’m happy our regional is free of those opponents.

Syracuse is no joke, they beat ND twice and have the potential to play really well. Ohio State is also scary with their press, but we have more ball handlers this year. That could be a tough matchup should both advance.

I’d love to see Juju vs Paige, but both teams will have some really big tests before that matchup is possible. I could see USC struggling vs either of Baylor or Virginia Tech.

Overall about as good as we could have hoped, minus the regional location. Just hope we don’t play at 12 pm Eastern in the sweet sixteen. That’s a tough adjustment for east coast teams.
There should be no easy game for UCONN. I fear and respect any/each opponent. Other years we're a juggenraut. This year's version is a "Survive and Advance" team. If they can -one game at a time in which a loss can come anywhere from rd 1 and up the survival path. IMO they are a low-floor high-ceiling team.

Reaction Score
There should be no easy game for UCONN. I fear and respect any/each opponent. Other years we're a juggenraut. This year's version is a "Survive and Advance" team. If they can -one game at a time in which a loss can come anywhere from rd 1 and up the survival path. IMO they are a low-floor high-ceiling team.
This team has not shown anything to indicate they have a high ceiling imo

Reaction Score
Paige Bueckers and Aaliyah Edwards.
They haven’t both shown up in a big game this year. Paige fades to the background against the better teams this year so I don’t see it with them. Not Georgia Amoore m/Liz Kitley level or Clark/Cizano level duo that can take their teams far unfortunately. I think our ceiling is pretty low.

Reaction Score
They haven’t both shown up in a big game this year. Paige fades to the background against the better teams this year so I don’t see it with them. Not Georgia Amoore m/Liz Kitley level or Clark/Cizano level duo that can take their teams far unfortunately. I think our ceiling is pretty low.
They are two All-Americans with a history of showing in big games. When UCONN was a juggernaut I'd always have some trepidation for a 1st team A/A (especially in which she could be the best player on the court) and a prior A/A like Edwards. Two highly experienced players.

I didn't say win a championship - I said low floor (can get beat in rd 1) - and a high ceiling - I consider a high ceiling at least an E8.

If you think it near hopeless to doubt A prior POY in which over her career she has been an enormous big game performer and Edwards - a very, very athletic talented player to certainly getting drafted in rd 1 in which she has played well vs the elite teams over her career- then that is your opinion.

If I were to use your methodology - I might even look at Auriemma and say "He hasn’t performed well in big games this year too," and thus eliminate him from being capable of drawing up a game plan. Which is not what I'm willing to do.

Adding all this up - along with the history of basketball which tells me to fear 1st team All-Americans (i.e. could be best player on the floor) - especially experienced ones along with a senior in Edwards - another very experienced and highly talented A/A caliber -- all of this equals imo as to what I say; - "High Ceiling."

Tell me if you don't mind -- would you draft Paige Bueckers in 1st 5 picks of WNBA draft if she came out? If so, why?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We could have all we can handle in the first game. Jacksonville is a quick scrappy team, good on OBDs. They beat St Johns and notable losses Texas, K state, Oregon state. We better be ready to go Sat.

Reaction Score
They used to try to keep schools local for attendance reasons.
Exactly. I blame the popularity of WCBB for UConn not being in Albany. No need now for attendance considerations. Plus it's a little harder with 2 sites instead of 4 to attempt to make the tournament more regional (it's still called a "region" wouldcha know...).

Can ESPN find someone who knows how to pronounce Albany instead of Al-BAIN-knee? Someone must have whispered in her ear that she sounds like a jerk because she did get a little better after a while.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
They are two All-Americans with a history of showing in big games. When UCONN was a juggernaut I'd always have some trepidation for a 1st team A/A (especially in which she could be the best player on the court) and a prior A/A like Edwards. Two highly experienced players.

I didn't say win a championship - I said low floor (can get beat in rd 1) - and a high ceiling - I consider a high ceiling at least an E8.

If you think it near hopeless to doubt A prior POY in which over her career she has been an enormous big game performer and Edwards - a very, very athletic talented player to certainly getting drafted in rd 1 in which she has played well vs the elite teams over her career- then that is your opinion.

If I were to use your methodology - I might even look at Auriemma and say "He hasn’t performed well in big games this year too," and thus eliminate him from being capable of drawing up a game plan. Which is not what I'm willing to do.

Adding all this up - along with the history of basketball which tells me to fear 1st team All-Americans (i.e. could be best player on the floor) - especially experienced ones along with a senior in Edwards - another very experienced and highly talented A/A caliber -- all of this equals imo as to what I say; - "High Ceiling."

Tell me if you don't mind -- would you draft Paige Bueckers in 1st 5 picks of WNBA draft if she came out? If so, why?
I would draft Paige in the 1st “one” pick if she came out for the draft this year…..just sayin…

Reaction Score
We’re doomed!!!

Reaction Score
Without UConn for the second year in a row is disappointing but we‘ll see some really good teams and maybe get to see Caitlin in person. We have been to Albany many times to visit my wife’s relatives. They’re all in the same cemetery.
We’ll go spend a few hours at Stickley’s looking at furniture too rich for us. Maybe go to the Cheesecake Factory for a 4,000 calorie meal. We used to go to Grandma’s but they closed and then we found the Latham Diner. Who says there’s nothing to do in Albany!

Reaction Score
It seldom works out this way. But if all the favorites win, here is UCONN's path to the Championship.
PORTLAND REGION 3
Jackson State (#14)
Syracuse (#6)
Ohio State (#2)
USC (#1)
FINAL FOUR
Iowa (Winner of Albany 2)
South Carolina (Winner of Albany 1 vs. Portland 4)

Reaction Score
Exactly. I blame the popularity of WCBB for UConn not being in Albany. No need now for attendance considerations. Plus it's a little harder with 2 sites instead of 4 to attempt to make the tournament more regional (it's still called a "region" wouldcha know...).

Can ESPN find someone who knows how to pronounce Albany instead of Al-BAIN-knee? Someone must have whispered in her ear that she sounds like a jerk because she did get a little better after a while.
My favorite was "Holly" Cross. I mean come on.....just embarrassing.....

Reaction Score
We could have all we can handle in the first game. Jacksonville is a quick scrappy team, good on OBDs. They beat St Johns and notable losses Texas, K state, Oregon state. We better be ready to go Sat.
Yea...they are, but most of those teams can't put 3 point guards on the floor. Edwards should go off. They have two bigs 6'5"+, but they don't play big minutes. They play small ball for the most part.

Reaction Score
In her last full season, Bueckers took her team just as far as Clark took hers last year. And Kitley level? That's amusing.

Reaction Score
Yes, Jackson State edged St. John's by four points in November, but those losses to Oregon State (by 20), and to Texas and Kansas State (both by more than 40), are notable only in that they were all blowouts.

UConn needs to be ready, for sure, but a decent game by the Huskies should provide a comfortable victory.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom