Men - UConn @ Northeastern Huskies (Tuesday 5/7/24 @Friedman Diamond @1:05p) Game on NESN+, FloSports, Fox Sports Radio 97.9 & Mixlr | The Boneyard

Men UConn @ Northeastern Huskies (Tuesday 5/7/24 @Friedman Diamond @1:05p) Game on NESN+, FloSports, Fox Sports Radio 97.9 & Mixlr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This has been an unusual season for UConn baseball in terms of starting pitching. After a slow start, the weekend starting pitching is now pretty well firmly established and has been doing very well in recent starts. No question about that.

On the other hand, no midweek starting pitchers have been firmly established this season. Because of this, it will be interesting to see which pitcher(s) start the last 2 midweek games of the regular season. The other interesting factor is that the last 2 midweek games for UConn baseball are against quality teams, not your standard northeastern teams.

Having a decent midweek starter or two is an important commodity that proves useful in the post season tournaments. After all, it is not unusual for a team to need to go beyond 3 starters in either the post season conference tournament, or during the various weekends of the post season NCAA Tournament.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm not sure how important coach Penders et al view this game but if they believe it is critical they could start Quigley (on a shorter leash) and then use him again Sunday, using Coe & Cooke in some order Friday and Saturday.

This game however may be where they decide to see what we have with other arms. We're going to need them in the postseason if we want to get anywhere.

Reaction Score
They only used 2 relievers over the weekend and had no midweek games last week so for better or worse you have a lot of relievers who need work. I would suspect Van Emon will start on a short leash as he seems to have settled in to the midweek starter role
This game matters for RPI, period. ‘Nuff said

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
They only used 2 relievers over the weekend and had no midweek games last week so for better or worse you have a lot of relievers who need work. I would suspect Van Emon will start on a short leash as he seems to have settled in to the midweek starter role
Handle fits this post. Good call, by the way.

Reaction Score
I can’t see Van Emon getting the start but he might. Schild hasn’t really thrown much either. The options are somewhat limited although maybe Quigley on 3 days rest is an option as pointed out in this thread. Im thinking Sullivan or Quinn perhaps. They used Poulin as a starter late in the year and he was great…

Reaction Score
I can’t see Van Emon getting the start but he might. Schild hasn’t really thrown much either. The options are somewhat limited although maybe Quigley on 3 days rest is an option as pointed out in this thread. Im thinking Sullivan or Quinn perhaps. They used Poulin as a starter late in the year and he was great…

I recall Chris Jones saying during game broadcasts that Schild had a hip problem which kept him from pitching in games. If he recovers, maybe he will pitch.

Reaction Score
I recall Chris Jones saying during game broadcasts that Schild had a hip problem which kept him from pitching in games. If he recovers, maybe he will pitch.
Hence, Schild hasn’t pitched mych.

Reaction Score
I’m sure Coe is itching to throw a couple innings if they will let him. You could almost treat this like a bullpen game and expect several innings from guys like Quinn, Sullivan, Cinnella, Afthim etc if they don’t want to rely heavily on any of the options as a traditional starter for this game. With only 1 midweek you can empty the shelf in the bullpen if you prefer that option

Reaction Score
I’m sure Coe is itching to throw a couple innings if they will let him. You could almost treat this like a bullpen game and expect several innings from guys like Quinn, Sullivan, Cinnella, Afthim etc if they don’t want to rely heavily on any of the options as a traditional starter for this game. With only 1 midweek you can empty the shelf in the bullpen if you prefer that option
A postseason mentality when it comes to the roster being used. With 2 full days of rest available, I agree everyone’s in play. You hate to put that type of pressure on a team to play with that mindset for 2 full weeks prior to an actual NCAA postseason game, but to ensure they get there, I think it’s needed. This is the resiliency that’s gonna show in the next month imo.

Reaction Score
Good God, stop pitching Coe midweek. Great that he has a rubber arm apparently, but could we save it for the post-season and not blow it out now?

No reason why Quinn and Afthim can’t go three innings between them. Get two innings from Van EsChen and four out of Sullivan, Corea, Finnegan and Cinnella. l

Reaction Score
As has been mentioned, Garrett Coe has been seeing midweek action in addition to his weekend starts. Problem is of late is that all the weekend starters have been throwing plenty of pitches and going deep into games of late, so I'm inclined to prefer that they get the midweek off. But obviously, the coaching staff has a better idea on whether the weekend starters can see additional time during the midweek games. We'll see what happens in terms of who the starting pitcher is today and next Tuesday.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Two ways to look at this from Penders viewpoint: Use this to get guys prepared for BET and NCAA - which hasn't been par for his course for years, go to Quinn who hasn't had good results the last 2 times out, Van Emon who hasn't pitched well in a while, Sullivan, Carea, Cinella, Ellison and anyone else we have used to get us to Afthim or throw Coe on a pitch count and take it from there.

Reaction Score
Mystery solved:

We'll see if Van Emon can reduce the amount of walks he has been giving up in his starts of late, the lack of control has had a big effect on the quality of his starts. If he can gain better control of his pitches, it would really help him out. Of course, you can pretty much say that about any pitcher.

Reaction Score
Don't see where FloSports is carrying this game? I see our offense already went down on 5 pitches in the first.

Reaction Score
Top 1st, UConn offense goes down in order. No score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom