UConn NIL | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn NIL

Reaction Score
The fact that many big time (football) schools are collecting millions to do this and all we know of is cartoon NFTs that isn't even affiliated with UConn or a big time alum is very much a huge concern. We've had almost a year if not longer to figure this out and the AD is sleeping at the wheel...
Just because AD David Benedict hasn't included you on his conference calls and meetings concerning NIL doesn't necessarily mean that he's "asleep at wheel..."

Reaction Score
Just because AD David Benedict hasn't included you on his conference calls and meetings concerning NIL doesn't necessarily mean that he's "asleep at wheel..."
It's been a year. We should have had something in place by the winter sports starting. That is being asleep. We're going through the most competitive transfer portal of all time and we have nothing to offer these kids...don't you think that's a problem?

Reaction Score
It's been a year. We should have had something in place by the winter sports starting. That is being asleep. We're going through the most competitive transfer portal of all time and we have nothing to offer these kids...don't you think that's a problem?
No. Because we certainly don't have nothing to offer them

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Pizza

In all seriousness, I'm thinking one of the richest states in the country can come up with something

Doesn't have to come from the school (i think, but I'm no expert)

98Uconn

NL1MF
Reaction Score
A Boneyard funded NIL. That would be phenomenal…. On the flip side, just think of the arguments that would create debating how/who to offer.

Reaction Score
Nice to see some good publicity out there for UConn regarding NIL, or I guess NIL adjacent pay

All but one of the schools paying academic bonuses this year come from a Power 5 conference. UConn, a member of the Big East, said it will pay bonuses to its men's and women's basketball players who earn them this year and hopes to include other sports in the future. A half-dozen other schools from non-Power 5 conferences say they plan to pay bonuses to their athletes in the future.

I agree, great to see this come to reality. The more ways we can have non star players paid the better. We need to have a good team 3-10 most talented players. Steps like these academic bonuses are a start. The most talented will make their money in the NIL market.
But, much more work is needed and PC was able to promise portal guys stuff we were not able to. We are behind and need to leap frog.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
We have a whole department working specifically on this with the players. Cole was selling merchandise all year, all the players had NFTs set up with the company UConn is partnering with
I’m sure theres plenty going on that we doing see with what UConn is doing to take advantage of NIL, but the merchandise stuff Cole was doing isn’t going to cut it. I would be impressed if he netted low 5 figures. Word is that very top basketball players are getting like 800k+ a year through collectives etc. Football is obviously next level. Tennessee just got a commit from a high school qb based on what is supposedly an $8 million nil deal their collective put together.

Reaction Score
We have a whole department working specifically on this with the players. Cole was selling merchandise all year, all the players had NFTs set up with the company UConn is partnering with
Which department exactly? You can correct me if this isn't true, but I don't think the NFT is associated with the school. Yes, the players are all involved (and I know they can't use the school marks anyways) but I doubt anyone in the AD brokered this on behalf of the players. If they did, that is what we need (and a lot more of), but I don't think they did.

I’m sure theres plenty going on that we doing see with what UConn is doing to take advantage of NIL, but the merchandise stuff Cole was doing isn’t going to cut it. I would be impressed if he netted low 5 figures. Word is that very top basketball players are getting like 800k+ a year through collectives etc. Football is obviously next level. Tennessee just got a commit from a high school qb based on what is supposedly an $8 million nil deal their collective put together.
Exactly this. I bought one of those Cole wristbands for $10/15 -- that ain't it. Neither are the NFTs which I'm sure netted the guys a few hundred bucks each if that.

Not saying we need to be on the level of a Tennessee/powerhouse football program, but as the flagship university in a state without pro sports teams, we should not be having this conversation right now. Donors/boosters needed to have been activated months ago, same with the local Connecticut businesses. As far as I can tell, the AD is not moving fast enough unfortunately and it will cost us eventually.

Reaction Score
Which department exactly? You can correct me if this isn't true, but I don't think the NFT is associated with the school. Yes, the players are all involved (and I know they can't use the school marks anyways) but I doubt anyone in the AD brokered this on behalf of the players. If they did, that is what we need (and a lot more of), but I don't think they did.
I could be wrong but I assumed the NFT deal was brokered by the school. They have a contract with OpenDorse to specifically do that for UConn athletes. No argument they shouldn't be doing more, I just wouldn't say they're doing nothing

Reaction Score
Pizza

In all seriousness, I'm thinking one of the richest states in the country can come up with something

Doesn't have to come from the school (i think, but I'm no expert)
CT is one of the richest states, but those Fairfield County finance multi-millionaires aren't UConn alumns or fans. They're Ivy, Duke, UVA, UMich, UNC type of people

Reaction Score
Not sure I fully understand, but when Caleb Williams entered the transfer portal he was looking for a school to give him 2 mil. I'm kind of with @ThabeetDown here. How does the richest state in the country not have a pool of money from a doner or group of doners ready to pop off on that instantly. UConn football has been drowning for 10+ years and one of the best QBs in the country is willing to go somewhere for 2 mil. If UConn wants to recover its football program or get back to the top for basketball these are the types of things that can accelerate that process dramatically.

Reaction Score
Not sure I fully understand, but when Caleb Williams entered the transfer portal he was looking for a school to give him 2 mil. I'm kind of with @ThabeetDown here. How does the richest state in the country not have a pool of money from a doner or group of doners ready to pop off on that instantly. UConn football has been drowning for 10+ years and one of the best QBs in the country is willing to go somewhere for 2 mil. If UConn wants to recover its football program or get back to the top for basketball these are the types of things that can accelerate that process dramatically.
NIL, except for a very few select individuals like Paige Bueckers is basically a negative ROI from a money standpoint. You'd have to convince these people to shell out millions of dollars a year and get zero return on their money besides wins.

The reason why these $EC schools, B1G, or some ACC schools can afford it is because they have massive alumni bases who are rabid about their sports teams, and they have multiple extremely wealthy alumni. Not like your average doctor type of wealth, we're talking hundreds of millions or billionaires.

We have neither of those.

Reaction Score
NIL, except for a very few select individuals like Paige Bueckers is basically a negative ROI from a money standpoint. You'd have to convince these people to shell out millions of dollars a year and get zero return on their money besides wins.

The reason why these $EC schools, B1G, or some ACC schools can afford it is because they have massive alumni bases who are rabid about their sports teams, and they have multiple extremely wealthy alumni. Not like your average doctor type of wealth, we're talking hundreds of millions or billionaires.

We have neither of those.
that's fair, just does suck a big rip on uconn football especially is the quality isn't good enough, and suddenly there is a tangible way to swap dollars for quality and we aren't able to take advantage. Def makes sense what you are saying tho

Reaction Score
A Boneyard funded NIL. That would be phenomenal…. On the flip side, just think of the arguments that would create debating how/who to offer.
If we wanted to start an NIL Boneyard directed slush fund I am in. I can commit to 250 dollars right off the bat to get the ball rolling. Need to coordinate with coaching staff though to ensure we are using dollars correctly haha

Reaction Score
If we wanted to start an NIL Boneyard directed slush fund I am in. I can commit to 250 dollars right off the bat to get the ball rolling. Need to coordinate with coaching staff though to ensure we are using dollars correctly haha
Legal Boosters!

Reaction Score
A question that answers itself.

UConn doesn't have enough deranged individuals in-state, those people who will give their money away (other option is to burn it) so that the state school can win at college sports!

Reaction Score
Oscar making $2 million to return to Kentucky. College hoops is crazy now.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Besides, he told me not to say anything to @ThabeetDown.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom