UConn NIL | The Boneyard

UConn NIL

Reaction Score
Nice to see some good publicity out there for UConn regarding NIL, or I guess NIL adjacent pay

All but one of the schools paying academic bonuses this year come from a Power 5 conference. UConn, a member of the Big East, said it will pay bonuses to its men's and women's basketball players who earn them this year and hopes to include other sports in the future. A half-dozen other schools from non-Power 5 conferences say they plan to pay bonuses to their athletes in the future.

Reaction Score
Nice to see some good publicity out there for UConn regarding NIL, or I guess NIL adjacent pay

All but one of the schools paying academic bonuses this year come from a Power 5 conference. UConn, a member of the Big East, said it will pay bonuses to its men's and women's basketball players who earn them this year and hopes to include other sports in the future. A half-dozen other schools from non-Power 5 conferences say they plan to pay bonuses to their athletes in the future.

Definitely NIL opportunities going forward for Huskies.. Demographics are strong for that. Will help with recruiting vs the bigger conferences who have more creative financing opportunities--If you know what I mean.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This will put pressure on professors to give athletes better grades than they deserve
I'm quite confident that this has been going on in many schools since the great depression.

Reaction Score
Speaking of NIL, does anyone know how much the players made this year roughly? Like how much did Polley or Sampson or Martin make? And does the school help introduce them to economic opportunities? I know some schools like BYU do that already.

Reaction Score
Maybe a stupid question, but if I’m a rich booster. Can I just pay some stud player $200K to make a couple appearances at one of my companies? If so, this will be the wild west

Reaction Score
Maybe a stupid question, but if I’m a rich booster. Can I just pay some stud player $200K to make a couple appearances at one of my companies? If so, this will be the wild west
Yes, but you could've already just given the kid 200k and 99% of the time nobody would know. It was already the Wild West.

Reaction Score
I think I remember reading something about a requirement that anyone paying a student-athlete must pay him or her at a reasonable market rate. In other words, they can't be paid $100 an hour to work at the local Taco Bell owned by a booster. However, when it comes to things like promotional appearances, "market rate" is literally whatever the student-athlete can get. After all, there are hundreds of thousands of Taco Bell workers, but there is only one Paige Bueckers, for example. I have no idea how or if the NCAA plans on policing that.

Reaction Score
Powe 5 must just be related to football? Anyway, NIL has become HUGE in football, bit I don't hear about it in basketball being as much of a deciding gator in basketball. Am I just not paying as close attention? And I find it funny that football dudes always call basketball such a swarmy sport with $.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The most obvious NIL deal yet??

"Hooters is the ideal place for me to go and unwind after a long day on the course or in the classroom, so I am honored to be chosen as an ambassador for the iconic brand," Daly II said. "I have seen my father’s great relationship with Hooters over the years, and I am proud to continue my family’s association with this iconic brand."

Reaction Score
1650384513550.png

Reaction Score
I think the Tilted Kilt is better aligned with the Scottish game

1650385133039.png

Reaction Score
"Hooters is the ideal place for me to go and unwind after a long day on the course or in the classroom, so I am honored to be chosen as an ambassador for the iconic brand," Daly II said. "I have seen my father’s great relationship with Hooters over the years, and I am proud to continue my family’s association with this iconic brand."

I assumed this was some Onion article quote. But, well... it's 2022.

Reaction Score
Instead of raising ticket prices, UConn should be focused on working with prominent alumni to build out an NIL collective. This is going to be the big divide between the haves and have nots.
The fact that many big time (football) schools are collecting millions to do this and all we know of is cartoon NFTs that isn't even affiliated with UConn or a big time alum is very much a huge concern. We've had almost a year if not longer to figure this out and the AD is sleeping at the wheel...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom