UConn NIL Opportunities? | The Boneyard

UConn NIL Opportunities?

Reaction Score

-> When the Connecticut General Assembly passed a bill to address the name, image, and likeness issue, UConn officials said the school would be ready to support its student-athletes in July.

The UConn policy is on the Board of Trustees agenda for its Wednesday meeting. According to a letter from athletic director David Benedict to the Board, UConn’s policy will become effective July 12. <-

-> Schools in the state can begin following the law before the end of the year. UConn, which pushed state lawmakers to act during the recent session, had been drafting its policy and the school is on the verge of announcing an agreement with a third-party company that will offer guidance and education for both the school and the athletes. <-

-> Endorsement contracts must be disclosed to the school prior to “performing any activity or service under the agreement.” The agreement cannot “conflict with the provisions of any agreement to which the University is a party.”

Also prohibited is the use of UConn branding when performing NIL services and the NIL work cannot interfere with “any official team activities or academic obligations.” <-

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Are we partnering with Opendorse or any similar platform to provide our student athletes NIL opportunities? I haven’t seen anything on it despite this starting tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Damn… sorry @Drew. I wanted to copy post from yesterday here but it jumped yours because of time stamp.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Damn… sorry Drew. I wanted to copy post from yesterday here but it jumped yours because of time stamp.
It’s fine. That’s helpful info. It sounds like an Opendorse deal is in the works and we’ll know more soon.

Reaction Score
Why wouldn't the University want their most popular athletes promoting their brand? Can't there be a guidance of what products or services the University would not want to be associated with and work with the athletes? Seems it would benefit both sides.

The University should be assisting athletes in this so we can see them promoting in the NY/NJ/CT Markets in the run up to both men's and women's BE BB Tournaments. Their faces sbould be splashed everywhere with the UConn brand. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!

Last edited:

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
Why wouldn't the University want their most popular athletes promoting their brand? Can't there be a guidance of what products or services the University would not want to be associated with and work with the athletes? Seems it would benefit both sides.

The University should be assisting athletes in this so we can see them promoting in the NY/NJ/CT Markets in the run up to both men's and women's BE BB Tournaments. Their faces sbould be splashed everywhere with the UConn brand. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!
NFL and MLB players always wear generic uniforms in commercials. I would assume that colleges will want to control their brand. If some entity is going to get paid for using a logo, mascot or uniform "the brand" needs to be paid. If an individual is going to get paid, it will be for their own likeness.

Schools can not have 2 players selling the school logo at 2 different auto dealerships, while the school is trying to getting paid for a 3rd "official SUV" of said school.

What percentage MLB,NBA & NFL players have significant off field incomes? The sixth man from Duke or 2nd best WR at Ohio State is going to make big bank? Don't see it.

If Bouk was coming back he would garner some local attention & some $$$.....but he is much better off going to the NBA. Stars will get paid - but it will be on the next level.

Reaction Score
NFL and MLB players always wear generic uniforms in commercials. I would assume that colleges will want to control their brand. If some entity is going to get paid for using a logo, mascot or uniform "the brand" needs to be paid. If an individual is going to get paid, it will be for their own likeness.

Schools can not have 2 players selling the school logo at 2 different auto dealerships, while the school is trying to getting paid for a 3rd "official SUV" of said school.

What percentage MLB,NBA & NFL players have significant off field incomes? The sixth man from Duke or 2nd best WR at Ohio State is going to make big bank? Don't see it.

If Bouk was coming back he would garner some local attention & some $$$.....but he is much better off going to the NBA. Stars will get paid - but it will be on the next level.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out and how different schools approach and try to "monetize" the new landscape. I'm sure most will take the same approach but there will be outliers.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see how this plays out and how different schools approach and try to "monetize" the new landscape. I'm sure most will take the same approach but there will be outliers.
It's a fascinating new day today.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't know that I would count Barstool. Isn't that pretty much just a shout out and free gear?

(Also, what's up with appearing in there uni's. I thought that was specifically off limits. As long as the content is reasonable, I don't have an issue with it. It means more visibility for the school.)

Reaction Score
I don't know that I would count Barstool. Isn't that pretty much just a shout out and free gear?

(Also, what's up with appearing in there uni's. I thought that was specifically off limits. As long as the content is reasonable, I don't have an issue with it. It means more visibility for the school.)

from what I recall, I believe you are correct that it is primarily free merch and potentially access to barstool events in the future.

Reaction Score
We're going to need some visible sponsorships early for football and a program set up by the University to assist players. It needs to happen fast or we risk losing recruits. I'm sure the coaches are fielding parent's questions as we speak. The family atmosphere and great campus are strong draws, but athletes have egos and need to feel valued relative to their peers.

Reaction Score
This is disastrous for team cohesion and college sports generally. The consequences are far reaching and not remotely understood.

Reaction Score
This is disastrous for team cohesion and college sports generally. The consequences are far reaching and not remotely understood.
HOW DARE THESE KIDS MAKE MONEY OFF THEIR OWN NAME!!! Just the idea of college athletes making money in sometimes the peak of their careers angers me!!!

Reaction Score
HOW DARE THESE KIDS MAKE MONEY OFF THEIR OWN NAME!!! Just the idea of college athletes making money in sometimes the peak of their careers angers me!!!
There is a way to do that called becoming a professional. Want to make the big bucks then skip college and head on down to the open team tryouts. It’s so easy to forget that these kids are nothing without the immense support systems and brand names that go into building their notoriety,, skills and potential careers.

Reaction Score
The sixth man from Duke or 2nd best WR at Ohio State is going to make big bank? Don't see it.

This is where I think 2nd tier schools might benefit. I never understood why someone wants to go to USC to be the 5th tailback as a 4 star. But now if they have the opportunity to go somewhere else to start AND make some money at a lower end P5 or G5 school - why not? I definitely think this will create some locker room drama at big schools where only the guys on the field are making money and everyone else isn't.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom