UConn/ND series extended through 2023-2024 season | The Boneyard

UConn/ND series extended through 2023-2024 season

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I was concerned for the future of the series after Muffet's hard turn last season toward ad hominem attacks and fabricated smears.

Geno, once again, shows he knows how to remain above others' bitterness.

Reaction Score
I was concerned for the future of the series after Muffet's hard turn last season toward ad hominem attacks and fabricated smears.

Interesting. Never crossed my mind. Cant think of GA ever caring about stuff like that.
... I mean, when asked to do a favor - eg Penn St in the Rene days or Tenn more recently -- he will decline if he doesn't like them, but cant think of him ending a competitive game bc of personalities.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Don’t let Tennessee fans see that ND describes the UConn-ND series as the most storied in history.
The NCAA seems to try to get Uconn ND in The Final Four, always a big draw.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Love it. My favorite rivalry in college basketball since the Skylar Diggins era when the Domers started credibly threatening in nearly every game against the Huskies.
The thing that really erks me about the Skylar Diggins era as well as many of the Tenn UConn games UConn a team that doesnt foul was called for way more fouls then their opponents in their losses. The game were Arike hit the buzzer beater UConn outscored ND by I think it was 20 pts from the foul and was found defenseless with all the fouls called on them. The Tenn era had many games just the same.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I don't believe the NCAA makes any special effort. It just so happens that UConn and ND have both been frequent flyers to the Final Four in recent years, and in fact have played each other in 7 of the last 9 .

Agree.

I used to hope UConn and ND would push the game back a bit further into the season, but now think that Geno and MM like to have it just after (most of) the out-of-conference schedule to see where they stand relative to a team they could very likely face in late March/early April. Plus it certainly gives WCBB something to promote in December and fire up the respective fan bases (just look at the Boneyard and/or McGraw's Bench!).

Glad to see the series extended.

Last edited:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
The thing that really erks me about the Skylar Diggins era as well as many of the Tenn UConn games UConn a team that doesnt foul was called for way more fouls then their opponents in their losses. The game were Arike hit the buzzer beater UConn outscored ND by I think it was 20 pts from the foul and was found defenseless with all the fouls called on them. The Tenn era had many games just the same.
Eh, claiming in multiple games against multiple teams in multiple years that UConn always gets the short end of the stick on foul calls can't help but have the whiff of conspiracy theory.

A much more parsimonious explanation is simply that the recent Domers' top guards have tended to play through contact more as their style of play - Ogunbowale, Young, and Diggins all played high contact, dribble to the basket and draw-the-foul-through-contact games. (Not coincidentally, all three are worse pure shooters than most of the top guards to come through UConn in recent years.) There are nearly endless virtues to the huskies of the past decade, but I can't think of a single one who was as good at drawing contact under the basket as those three.

And I say this as someone who has been rooting hard for the Huskies vs. the Domers in recent years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The NCAA seems to try to get Uconn ND in The Final Four, always a big draw.

That's because the LadyVols couldn't reach the final four in quite some time. I will have to say though, the Committee tried their part to get the the LadyVols into the NCAA tourney in recent years. ;)

Reaction Score
Love it. My favorite rivalry in college basketball since the Skylar Diggins era when the Domers started credibly threatening in nearly every game against the Huskies.

That 2012-13 season was especially tough with UConn losing all three games to ND (2 regular and 1 BigEast tourney) but it all ended well for the Huskies who beat them in semis 83-65.

This "tag line" kept coming up, when these two teams met in the semis..."the Irish have won 7 of 9"

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
That 2012-13 season was especially tough with UConn losing all three games to ND (2 regular and 1 BigEast tourney) but it all ended well for the Huskies who beat them in semis 83-65.

This "tag line" kept coming up, when these two teams met in the semis..."the Irish have won 7 of 9"
That Big East Tournament final in Hartford was my first UConn game in person. I came into the game pretty neutral in terms of who I was rooting for, because I have a love-hate relationship with the Domers in all sports (stemming mostly from football), and at that time UConn kind of felt like the evil empire. I left totally smitten with Stewwie and co. and I've never looked back (when they're not playing Stanford). I do think the fact that they were perceived as the underdogs in that game and that season made it easier for me to get over the 2010 finals when they embarrassed Stanford in the second half and made Jayne Appel cap her college career with an 0-12 box score line. Ooph.

Reaction Score
UConn-Tenn is as storied as Immaculata-Delta State and I won't hear differently.
Not really. UConn-Tenn was basically UConn steamrolling Tenn whenever it mattered. ND has handed UConn some heartbreaking losses. Name all the heartbreaking losses the Vols have handed UConn.

Reaction Score
Not really. UConn-Tenn was basically UConn steamrolling Tenn whenever it mattered. ND has handed UConn some heartbreaking losses. Name all the heartbreaking losses the Vols have handed UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom