Uconn ND Double W's = W | The Boneyard

Uconn ND Double W's = W

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
In case you hadnt heard UConn is playing at ND today. Our 2 W's Williams and Walker will have the opportunity to come up big and both must must must stay our of foul trouble. IMO they will be the difference in UConn winning. Who defends our double W's? Will Shepard or Turner have to come out and defend Walker. Can they stay with her quickness? Will she be open for most of her shots? I like UConn in that matchup. Willams will either have Young or Mabrey guarding her. Either way I feel Dangerfield and Williams are to quick for Mabrey. So either way I like UConn in the match up. Critical is for UConn to stay our of foul trouble especially Walker.

This is a matchup between UConns quickness and ND's size and ND's lack of a true point guard. Alot will come out of this game for both teams. This game will exploit both teams weakness's individually and as a team. It will show both coaches what they need to improve on. One thing will be for sure both teams will play only 7 players unless there is major foul trouble. Dont be surprised to see UConn play Young close and pack it in to keep ND from getting the ball inside. Mabrey is not a point guard so I would also expect to see alot of pressure put on her. This is gonna be a great game and even a better game if the ref's dont get on a pedestal and start calling ticky tack fouls. If alot of fouls are called the defense will be almost non exsistent because neither team has depth on their benches and both teams will have to back off on defense to keep from fouling. This is gonna be a terrific game sit back and enjoy it and the outcome will mean nothing because both teams will still be ranked one and two and if UConn wins they will be 1 and ND 2 and if UConn looses they will still be 2.

Reaction Score
You're right Tony.............ND is going to concentrate on disrupting the play of the two seniors so CD and the two W's are going to be vital to any UConn victory...............I expect ND to pound the ball inside to get Collier in foul trouble...............if I were Geno I would do the same to get Shepard and or Turner two quick fouls to nullify their inside presence...............it would be great if the refs would get out of the way but I don't remember the last time these two teams played without a whole bunch of questionable calls usually going ND's way........

Reaction Score
Key stats?

Massey offensive ratings have ND one and UConn two.

Defensive ratings are UConn one and ND “25”!

If that holds true today, guess who wins?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In case you hadnt heard UConn is playing at ND today. Our 2 W's Williams and Walker will have the opportunity to come up big and both must must must stay our of foul trouble. IMO they will be the difference in UConn winning. Who defends our double W's? Will Shepard or Turner have to come out and defend Walker. Can they stay with her quickness? Will she be open for most of her shots? I like UConn in that matchup. Willams will either have Young or Mabrey guarding her. Either way I feel Dangerfield and Williams are to quick for Mabrey. So either way I like UConn in the match up. Critical is for UConn to stay our of foul trouble especially Walker.

This is a matchup between UConns quickness and ND's size and ND's lack of a true point guard. Alot will come out of this game for both teams. This game will exploit both teams weakness's individually and as a team. It will show both coaches what they need to improve on. One thing will be for sure both teams will play only 7 players unless there is major foul trouble. Dont be surprised to see UConn play Young close and pack it in to keep ND from getting the ball inside. Mabrey is not a point guard so I would also expect to see alot of pressure put on her. This is gonna be a great game and even a better game if the ref's dont get on a pedestal and start calling ticky tack fouls. If alot of fouls are called the defense will be almost non exsistent because neither team has depth on their benches and both teams will have to back off on defense to keep from fouling. This is gonna be a terrific game sit back and enjoy it and the outcome will mean nothing because both teams will still be ranked one and two and if UConn wins they will be 1 and ND 2 and if UConn looses they will still be 2.
Love your analysis TC, but I need to point out that ND plays almost exclusively zone defense. So the game will not so much depend on matchups as it will on UConn moving the ball on offense and knocking down open shots, particularly from the 3-pt line.

Reaction Score
Key stats?

those numbers are a bit misleading............look at the quality of opponents............

Reaction Score
I agree with Geno. :) We need to shoot well to have a chance to win. Oldude is right -- ND will play zone. If we shoot well, especially from 3-point land, we are in good shape. If we don't, it will be a long afternoon for us.

I am curious how CW and MW do in this kind of environment. We shall see.

If we don't have any injuries, we will gain a lot, whatever the outcome.

Reaction Score
Key stats?

IF we are allowed to play good defense:eek:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
You're right Tony...ND is going to concentrate on disrupting the play of the two seniors so CD and the two W's are going to be vital to any UConn victory.....I expect ND to pound the ball inside to get Collier in foul trouble.....if I were Geno I would do the same to get Shepard and or Turner two quick fouls to nullify their inside presence.....it would be great if the refs would get out of the way but I don't remember the last time these two teams played without a whole bunch of questionable calls usually going ND's way...
I made the comment on another :rolleyes: UConn ND thread that we are in trouble if Dee Kanter is on the court...which supports your comment. Unfortunately, she's on the court in 99% of high profile games.

Reaction Score
those numbers are a bit misleading..look at the quality of opponents..

ND SOS is first, UConn ninth. Not a huge disparity. Besides, Massey factors that in to its ratings.

Reaction Score
79-77 UConn.

that seems a bit strange considering it's an ND home game and with the player gains and losses since last season.............I'd certainly be very happy with that final score.........

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
that seems a bit strange considering it's an ND home game and with the player gains and losses since last season...I'd certainly be very happy with that final score....

If Massey is correct, UConn will only be challenged in regular season today and at Baylor.

Reaction Score
I believe that Massey is still weighted by last year's stats. Early-season Massey, I believe, is not that reliable.

I mean, ND beat us last time, all of their important players return, plus Turner, and they are at home. They are, objectively, the favorite. Period.

Reaction Score
If Massey is correct, UConn will only be challenged in regular season today and at Baylor.

that's possible but the away game at Louisville is not going to be a walk in the park.............I expect UConn to lose at least one of those three and being the superstitious kind perhaps that's a good thing considering what's happened the past two years.........

Reaction Score
Agree that the 2 W’s will play an important role today but I think Napheesa is going to step up on this big stage and prove that she is one of the very best college players in the country.

Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to today's game with great anticipation. Not to be negative but I'm wondering if anyone knows off the top of their head what the largest point loss Lady Huskies have experienced in the last 10 years. While I think that we have an opportunity to play an outstanding game against a very talented team foul trouble and or other developments might lead to an uncomfortable position for the Lay Huskies. I am interested if anyone knows the largest Point loss we've suffered in the last 10 years.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
I believe that Massey is still weighted by last year's stats. Early-season Massey, I believe, is not that reliable.

I mean, ND beat us last time, all of their important players return, plus Turner, and they are at home. They are, objectively, the favorite. Period.

Yeah, I don't put lot of stock in it this early, but I do think those two games will be UConn's toughest challenges so it's probably not that far off.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to today's game with great anticipation. Not to be negative but I'm wondering if anyone knows off the top of their head what the largest point loss Lady Huskies have experienced in the last 10 years. While I think that we have an opportunity to play an outstanding game against a very talented team foul trouble and or other developments might lead to an uncomfortable position for the Lay Huskies. I am interested if anyone knows the largest Point loss we've suffered in the last 10 years.

UConn lost to Notre Dame by 9 in 2013, but it was an overtime game (96-87), so the game was closer than it looks.

In 2012, Notre Dame beat Uconn 72-59. (13 points is UConn's worst loss in the past 10 years.)

In 2011, Notre Dame beat UConn 72-63.

In 2010, Stanford beat UConn 71-59 (same season as above)

Those are all the losses UConn has suffered in the past decade by 9 or more points.

Reaction Score
Thank you very much. I am so impressed by the knowledge and camaraderie of the members of this board. It really enhances my enjoyment of UConn basketball. My question is I think a tribute to Geno's program. I'm more than a casual fan of the Huskies and yet I couldn't remember those double-digit losses. In thinking about the game today the match upes, the location and our roster my best guess is that we lose by 17. I just wonder how we're going to manage to deal with Jessica Shepard and Turner with our short bench. On a separate note I've been thinking a lot about Crystal Dangerfield. While Gabby Williams is my all-time favorite husky Crystal is a close second. Her development in progress this year is truly remarkable. I suppose if Lou and Pheesa have their usual games and Crystal adds a ton of scoring we might have a chance. Again thank you very much for the quick reply, this is an amazing group at the boneyard.

Reaction Score
As with any game with ND there are many factors that lead to victory or defeat. However, the two main elements (IMO) that will determine the final score are: who has the HOT shooters and how much the refs get involved. More ref involvement--less chance of a UConn victory. Both teams can get hot shooting 3's.
Let's see what happens.

Reaction Score
UConn lost to Notre Dame by 9 in 2013, but it was an overtime game (96-87), so the game was closer than it looks.

In 2012, Notre Dame beat Uconn 72-59. (13 points is UConn's worst loss in the past 10 years.)

In 2011, Notre Dame beat UConn 72-63.

In 2010, Stanford beat UConn 71-59 (same season as above)

Those are all the losses UConn has suffered in the past decade by 9 or more points.

And the last time UConn was truly blown out in a game was the 2006-07 season when LSU beat UConn 73-50 in the Elite Eight.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Bringing up bad losses is not a good thing to do Karma wise. :mad:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member