UConn Names Warde Manuel AD | The Boneyard

UConn Names Warde Manuel AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I liked seeing that he was associated with Michigan, both as an athlete and in their athletic department. I trust Mrs. Herbst so I'm sure he is the right guy going forward.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm curious as to how an AD affects a school's chance of becoming an AAU member. The blurb about UB being an AAU school was mentioned early on in the article.

My overall reaction. Sure, whatever. I'm part of the 99% who has no idea what it takes to be a good AD, no do I have any idea what the candidate pool looked like for the job.

So it goes. Herbst's first big move as president.

Bottom line? He's qualified.

43 years old
U Michigan football player
Has the requisite degrees
Associate AD at Michigan
AD at UB

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i now read the stuff. i'm not a uconn grad but i am a fan and this doesn't exactly get happy inside.

first off welcome warde and please understand that most of us here want out of the big east. anyway, they stress talking about apr and womens sports. this isn't what i wanted to read when we got a ad. i wanted to read prior bcs expierence and balh blah football ideas. this just isn't catching on for me right now, maybe im grumpy. i was hpoing for a bcs person or atleast a bcs asst...for a "nationwide search" with many to chose from this doesn't strike me as the pick unless we are really that screwed for the future that this was the best possible. good luck to the buy, hope he proves me wrong.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
It's not?

He was an associate AD at Michigan and got his own dep't. at Buffalo, one of the worst in FBS. In three years he took their overall budget from $11 million to $25 million, and was on the 40 under 40 list, which is huge. He's on a ton of important NCAA committees. I'll trust their judgement.

zls44

Reaction Score
Do you guys think Michigan will cancel the 2013 game and screw over one of their own?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
In three years he took their budget from $11 million to $25 million, and was on the 40 under 40 list, which is huge. He's on a ton of important NCAA committees. I'll trust their judgement.

thats all great and i hope he turns out to be a great hire. count me as 1 thou that just isn't wowed(if u can be from a ad hire???) by this hire. i was hoping for some 1 from a bcs school or even a lew perkins tree member..his latest work wasn't from a bcs school.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Do you guys think Michigan will cancel the 2013 game and screw over one of their own?

thats stupid to think for 1 sec that this hire had .00000001% to do with a football game vs michigan.

zls44

Reaction Score
thats stupid to think for 1 sec that this hire had .00000001% to do with a football game vs michigan.

Hey, it can't hurt.

I guess associate AD at Michigan isn't big enough. HOW DID UCONN NOT END UP WITH JEREMY FOLEY

Reaction Score
Look like a good hire to me, I consider fundraising to be the biggest role for an AD, Hathaway was horrible at it, Warde Manuel seems like he will be up to the task.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I'm curious as to how an AD affects a school's chance of becoming an AAU member. The blurb about UB being an AAU school was mentioned early on in the article.

My overall reaction. Sure, whatever. I'm part of the 99% who has no idea what it takes to be a good AD, no do I have any idea what the candidate pool looked like for the job.

So it goes. Herbst's first big move as president.

Bottom line? He's qualified.

43 years old
U Michigan football player
Has the requisite degrees
Associate AD at Michigan
AD at UB

plus 1

Susan has been right so far so i'm all ears and eyes, but....

Reaction Score
It sounds like a great appointment. He has big school experience at Michigan (including reporting responsibility for their biggest programs, football and basketball) and ultimate bottom line responsibility at Buffalo. Many times the choice is between a 2nd or 3rd guy from a major university or a top guy from a smaller one - in this case UConn gets the benefit of both. Only time will tell, but my gut reaction is that this is a winning move.

zls44

Reaction Score
People will really bitch about anything. I know I should know that, but still...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
yup, and you wern't on a tare here 2 days ago all over the BY. calm down.

and not for nothing but i was hoping for bcs exp which he does have, but its not recent. its what 5 years ago? i know thats not far away in the grand look but the reason being recent is important is becuase college athletics has completely changed the past 5 years. tv contracts are on a whole different planet now, teams are moving everywhere, the ncaa is making new rules and goin gafter many big time programs etc...if there was a time for bcs expierence, it was the last 5 years. thats all.

zls44

Reaction Score
Who were the other finalists.

Reaction Score
All I know is that he's going to be better than Jeff Hathaway...

...not like that's saying much.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
i now read the stuff. i'm not a uconn grad but i am a fan and this doesn't exactly get happy inside.

first off welcome warde and please understand that most of us here want out of the big east. anyway, they stress talking about apr and womens sports. this isn't what i wanted to read when we got a ad. i wanted to read prior bcs expierence and balh blah football ideas. this just isn't catching on for me right now, maybe im grumpy. i was hpoing for a bcs person or atleast a bcs asst...for a "nationwide search" with many to chose from this doesn't strike me as the pick unless we are really that screwed for the future that this was the best possible. good luck to the buy, hope he proves me wrong.

You realize he was an associate AD at Michigan prior to becoming the AD at Buffalo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom