UCONN Moving into ACC/Syracuse Territory | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN Moving into ACC/Syracuse Territory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The Fruit flies drew 39,507 at MetLife for their game against USC. And that was the announced crowd and half/most were USC fans. RU/Army drew around 30,000 last year. Our goal is simple: we must obliterate both of these attendance marks. If we draw less than 35,000, that would be a HUGE disappointment.

Reaction Score
Michie is great to go to and watch a game and hell to leave. Horrible two lane road to I-84 that took forever with traffic. I know it was not a problem going south..but..I think I'll take Yankee Stadium with all the attendant publicity, etc.. There is no down side to this game at all as long as the fans show up and we win.

Been to a few West Point games. Going back to CT, a trick I learned is to go South on 9W coming from Campus and then across Bear Mountain Bridge (in the Fall, beautiful walk across the Hudson). Most of the NY/NJ traffic keeps going South on Palisades and the rest heads East on 6 into Westchester County. Go North after crossing the bridge to Cold Spring and then cut over to 9, which gets you to I-84. A little longer than fighting 9W north up to Newberg; but, it is a nice drive.

Reaction Score
The questions come from people that quite like Michie Stadium, which is also an easy trip from Conn. Hartford to Michie is 110 miles and mostly a trip on I-84.

That's not a fragment.

Reaction Score
Hard to call NYC Syracuse or ACC turf. With the exception of Notre Dame.
I thought Yankee stadium was RU or B1G territory?Aren't they opening an office in NYC in their East coast region?What the heck does SU have in NYC but a paid advertisement begging us to buy into their ridiculous PR attempts?

Reaction Score
I think he was being facetious ... but regardless, glad to see a home and "almost home" set up along with an aggressive move to show that we share NYC.
Heck even Buffalo isn't SU territory what makes him think were so foolish as to buy that malarky?Their lucky if Onandaga Cty is carried by SU!

Reaction Score
I think he was being facetious ... but regardless, glad to see a home and "almost home" set up along with an aggressive move to show that we share NYC.
And ND football is INDEPENDENT !!

Reaction Score
ND played Army at Yankee Stadium in 2010. It was a good thing for ND.

Lots of press coverage, the ND band played in Times Square, etc...

There is nothing wrong with UConn playing Army at Yankee Stadium.

Reaction Score
Anecdotally ... with no REAL numbers ... I'm going to tell you that Syracuse travels better than we do in Football. Warde Manual and all the ooomph we have has to focus on getting excitement back in ... dominating AWAY game crowds in Hoop; and we have to travel and do well like this ARMY game.
Yeah,there were MAYBE 39,000 at Metlife for national brand USC last year while RU played in front of 50G 16 miles away against Howard U!At least 14G of the 39? were SU fans in their "stronghold"!I know from a friend SU rented and brought 4 greyhounds full of CNY fans down holding maybe 60 per bus!Id hope we'll make a good fan showing in NY to put SU's myth to the test !!Heck Storrs is closer to the Stadium than SU!The service academies are usually well carried on TV too!Great chance for shining and exposure!

Reaction Score
FYI, as part of the Pinstripe Bowl, also to be held at Yankee Stadium, the B1G has an agreement with the Yankees to have B1G signage at Yankee stadium during all Yankee home games starting in 2014. The story also points out that both the ACC and B1G may look to move their Basketball Championship at MSG or Barclay’s sooner rather than later.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/07/06/wisch-big-ten-acc-set-to-battle-over-the-big-apple/

Safe to say, NYC is going to be the front in the war between the ACC and B1G. Question for UConn is can either conference ‘win’ the city with their current members and, if not, would grabbing UConn, the last major ‘independent’ program left with a strong NYC footprint, enable one conference to win?

A solid UConn presence at Yankee for what will likely be a nationally televised football game because it is at Yankee, could really help UConn’s NYC image by expanding it beyond just basketball.

Reaction Score
FYI, as part of the Pinstripe Bowl, also to be held at Yankee Stadium, the B1G has an agreement with the Yankees to have B1G signage at Yankee stadium during all Yankee home games starting in 2014. The story also points out that both the ACC and B1G may look to move their Basketball Championship at MSG or Barclay’s sooner rather than later.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/07/06/wisch-big-ten-acc-set-to-battle-over-the-big-apple/

Safe to say, NYC is going to be the front in the war between the ACC and B1G. Question for UConn is can either conference ‘win’ the city with their current members and, if not, would grabbing UConn, the last major ‘independent’ program left with a strong NYC footprint, enable one conference to win?

A solid UConn presence at Yankee for what will likely be a nationally televised football game because it is at Yankee, could really help UConn’s NYC image by expanding it beyond just basketball.
That should be the goal...more than BB but a bigger FB image and as Cuse is now marketing in Ontario according to their own SU . fan site what does that say?ScotiaBank is also on the Fizz site too but I think its more about hoops for them!1 quarter of Connecticuts population also is in FF county about 900+G people directly in the NYC demo and most wealthy!The B1G taking UConn could make a huge statement !!

Reaction Score
That should be the goal...more than BB but a bigger FB image and as Cuse is now marketing in Ontario according to their own SU . fan site what does that say?ScotiaBank is also on the Fizz site too but I think its more about hoops for them!1 quarter of Connecticuts population also is in FF county about 900+G people directly in the NYC demo and most wealthy!The B1G taking UConn could make a huge statement !!

Syracuse should try marketing in WNY first.

Fans in Ontario have the option of seeing the Buffalo Bills, Toronto Argonauts and Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

Reaction Score
... and as Cuse is now marketing in Ontario according to their own SU .

Interesting. Only reason I can think Syracuse is marketing itself in Ontario is for more TV revenue. Can’t be trolling for more students. U Toronto’s tuition ranges between CAD 7K to CAD 41K a year depending on the program while Syracuse’s tuition for undergraduates is USD 38K a year. Thus, an Ontario student would only save money in a few programs. Plus, the value difference is huge. The Times (London) ranks U Toronto very highly:

· Cal Tech, #1

· B1G ranked higher than U Toronto - #19 Northwestern & #20 Michigan

· U Toronto, #21

· UConn ranked between #251-275

· Syracuse - Not ranked (a separate ranking has them between #300-#400)

Plus, I would Toronto is a world class city to live in, Syracuse is not.

Reaction Score
Interesting. Only reason I can think Syracuse is marketing itself in Ontario is for more TV revenue. Can’t be trolling for more students. U Toronto’s tuition ranges between CAD 7K to CAD 41K a year depending on the program while Syracuse’s tuition for undergraduates is USD 38K a year. Thus, an Ontario student would only save money in a few programs. Plus, the value difference is huge. The Times (London) ranks U Toronto very highly:

· Cal Tech, #1

· B1G ranked higher than U Toronto - #19 Northwestern & #20 Michigan

· U Toronto, #21

· UConn ranked between #251-275

· Syracuse - Not ranked (a separate ranking has them between #300-#400)

Plus, I would Toronto is a world class city to live in, Syracuse is not.
Yes I know I've several cousins who've lived there from PEI and Cape Breton Island,Canada and many out in Calgary and Vancouver,BC and its a lovely country!As a youth I spent my summers to get out of the city on PEI at my uncles farms and helped during lobster season too!

Reaction Score
The questions come from people that quite like Michie Stadium, which is also an easy trip from Conn. Hartford to Michie is 110 miles and mostly a trip on I-84.

That's not a fragment.

I think the guy didn't get that your response was two sentences (period after Conn ended a sentence rather than signaling an abbreviation).

Reaction Score
I missed that fact because it is completely irrelevant to anything in my post or any other post on this topic. This thread is about this upcoming game and the return game in 2015. I simply stated that ARMY chose to play in NYC and chose Uconn as an opponent and described the benefits of this game for Uconn. Sorry for weighing in if I hurt your feelings by not decribing the entire history of ARMY vs Uconn.
No need to go into dildo mode just because the guy wanted to elaborate on your post.

Reaction Score
Army is the home team.
They have been playing in NYC for 70 years.
Its their second home.
The fact that they choose UConn has more to do with hoping UConn fans helping to pay the costs of the lease.
Army has been horrendous in the last decade and the game will not attract as much interest from UConn fans as they think.
The negatives for UConn outweigh the positives.
By the way if you have never been there West Point in the Autumn is fantastic. A lot more scenic than the South Bronx.

Reaction Score
Army is the home team.
They have been playing in NYC for 70 years.
Its their second home.
The fact that they choose UConn has more to do with hoping UConn fans helping to pay the costs of the lease.
Army has been horrendous in the last decade and the game will not attract as much interest from UConn fans as they think.
The negatives for UConn outweigh the positives.
By the way if you have never been there West Point in the Autumn is fantastic. A lot more scenic than the South Bronx.

You do forget two important aspects here. First, no matter how well they do or do play on the field, many people still highly respect the Service Academies and it is a privilege to play them. Second, UConn fans from Fairfield County can take Metro North direct to Yankee Stadium. I’ve made the trip via the Hudson line and it is easy. Of course, UConn alumni in the City can take the Subway. An easy commute and likely national TV coverage should pull in a good crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom