UConn Men's Soccer 2024 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Men's Soccer 2024

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Men's soccer on UConn+ right now. Also on WWAX if you get it. vs NJIT.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
Good win. NJIT, according to the broadcast, is ranked 49th. America East has 4 in the top 50, Big East just 1 with Georgetown.

Reaction Score
Testori looked really good. A little worrisome how many of our chances seem to come from crosses, but I’d rather we swing the ball in than play with it until we lose it.

NJIT is a tough team to play against, very physical and good at toeing the line with the ref.

arch

Reaction Score
Sorry to repeat this but can anyone share the status of Lucas Almeida? Haven’t seen #9 in game or sideline. Thanks in advance.

Reaction Score
Sorry to repeat this but can anyone share the status of Lucas Almeida? Haven’t seen #9 in game or sideline. Thanks in advance.
I don't think anyone outside of the team really knows at the moment. They put out a tweet and a graphic for him during the offseason, and he changed his number from 12 to 9 this season, but other than that it has been radio silent.

All 4 of the other forwards have played pretty well, so I guess it's possible Suski and Pickering jumped him in the pecking order and they just don't have minutes for a 5th forward? Seems pretty unlikely to me but anything else would be pure speculation.

Reaction Score
Scoreless draw at home vs LIU last night. Similar to last time we played them, we had a lot of quality possession but just didn't really generate clear-cut chances. Tomerius hit a long-range effort off the bar in the first half that was probably our best opportunity of the game, but Conway also almost got on the end of a scramble in the box in the second half.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
I meant to watch on UConn+ and then got lost in my own nonsense. At least we didn't lose.

Reaction Score
I meant to watch on UConn+ and then got lost in my own nonsense. At least we didn't lose.
Coming off a win vs NJIT, I would have liked to see us keep that momentum, especially playing what is probably a worse team, but what can ya do. They were a tournament team last year, so they're definitely a competitive program.

It wasn't a very exciting game but I like playing LIU. Their head coach, Mike Mordocco, won a national championship at UConn in 2000.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
Coming off a win vs NJIT, I would have liked to see us keep that momentum, especially playing what is probably a worse team, but what can ya do. They were a tournament team last year, so they're definitely a competitive program.

It wasn't a very exciting game but I like playing LIU. Their head coach, Mike Mordocco, won a national championship at UConn in 2000.
I recognized that coaches name. Keep the former husky on the schedule!

Reaction Score
Revenge game ending in a tie. Probably not what they were hoping but still no losses. This program is playing better than early season last year. Looking forward to the big East season.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone outside of the team really knows at the moment. They put out a tweet and a graphic for him during the offseason, and he changed his number from 12 to 9 this season, but other than that it has been radio silent.

All 4 of the other forwards have played pretty well, so I guess it's possible Suski and Pickering jumped him in the pecking order and they just don't have minutes for a 5th forward? Seems pretty unlikely to me but anything else would be pure speculation.
Picked up 6 minutes against LIU. So not sitting out for the season I guess.

Reaction Score
Huskies make their first-ever trip to the CCSU campus for a men's soccer match tonight.

Central Connecticut (0-3) has yet to score this season, so they are clearly struggling so far. The Blue Devils were picked 8th (of 9 teams) in the NEC Preseason Coaches Poll. UConn beat CCSU at home last year in their only previous head-to-head match up.

If you can't make it to Hard Hittin' New Britain, the match is available free on NEC Front Row (NEC Front Row) at 7 pm.

Reaction Score
This team is actually pathetically bad. May be the worst performance i’ve actually seen.

Reaction Score
We look fine to me. This time last year we'd already lost to LIU by 2 goals and this year we were disappointed to tie them. We got our first road win out of the way, and we're still undefeated despite playing multiple top 100 teams and starting at least 3-4 different lineups.

I think the level of play has been better than last year and we were an above-average Big East team last year, but we'll have to see how things shake out. The only real concern I have is that we play 4 different forwards and none of them have more than 1 goal at the moment. Our 2 leading scorers (Hanni with 3 and Valentic with 2) share time at the 10 spot.

Reaction Score
We look fine to me. This time last year we'd already lost to LIU by 2 goals and this year we were disappointed to tie them. We got our first road win out of the way, and we're still undefeated despite playing multiple top 100 teams and starting at least 3-4 different lineups.

I think the level of play has been better than last year and we were an above-average Big East team last year, but we'll have to see how things shake out. The only real concern I have is that we play 4 different forwards and none of them have more than 1 goal at the moment. Our 2 leading scorers (Hanni with 3 and Valentic with 2) share time at the 10 spot.
Lol I fully posted this in the wrong thread. Was looking to post in the US Soccer thread.

Reaction Score
Interesting game tonight! It was 0-0 at halftime despite UConn having the bulk of possession and having one long-range effort from Sabri Hanni deflect off the keeper's hands straight into the crossbar.

We came out guns blazing in the second half and picked up 2 goals in the first 15 minutes or so. The first came after Hanni was fouled right outside Siena's box, and he subsequently scored a very good free kick. The second came when Evan Pickering picked up his first goal for us during as scramble in the box after Testori got on the end of a Kieran Chandler cross.

The wheels did fall off a bit in the latter part of that second half and it ended up getting a bit nervy. We made quite a few subs after our second goal and gave up control of the midfield which let Siena get back in the game. Specifically some of our more offensive players (Suski and Valentic) seemed to drop the intensity of the press a lot which pinned us back a bit. That actually forced Giovanni Dennis into a pseudo-left back role where he ended up getting subbed back out after only playing 10 or 15 minutes.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I think depth, at least the first 1/2 of the season, may be an issue.
The starting 11 plus 2 are fairly strong - a big fallout after that - especially in the midfield area. Kids need experience playing against grown men.
A win is a win

Reaction Score
I'm 1200 miles from Storrs so I can't attend games like I would like but fortunately there is UConn+. Not many fans in the stands for Siena. Is that the new normal?

Reaction Score
I'm 1200 miles from Storrs so I can't attend games like I would like but fortunately there is UConn+. Not many fans in the stands for Siena. Is that the new normal?

The number of fans at the game last night was by far the lowest attendance at a UConn men's soccer home game so far this season.

Reaction Score
I think depth, at least the first 1/2 of the season, may be an issue.
The starting 11 plus 2 are fairly strong - a big fallout after that - especially in the midfield area. Kids need experience playing against grown men.
A win is a win
For sure. We also sat Max Gummesson for almost the entire second half and he is normally our starting holding midfielder, so I think the coaches were trying to expose some players to things they might not be doing every game.

Last year attendance really picked up in the second half of the year when we started playing the BE teams and Vermont and stuff. I expect it’ll probably be similar this year. I would love to see some t-shirts for students or something to get that Goal Patrol section rocking again.

Reaction Score
According to the schedule, tomorrow night's 7pm away game at Dartmouth should be watchable on ESPN+.

Our next game after that is away at DePaul on 9/20 which, along with every other Big East game this year, is unfortunately supposedly on FloFC

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom