UConn Men's Basketball to be Honored at Mets Game May 1 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Men's Basketball to be Honored at Mets Game May 1

Reaction Score
IMG_7473.jpg

Reaction Score
Andre could literally be as good as any other pitcher on the Mets roster right now. They're the most injury-prone group of meatball throwers in the league, and those that DO pitch take the (already lackluster) offense out of the game before they even get an at-bat.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score

I just think this is the greatest thing for a young man who epitomizes what being a Uconn Husky is.
This program continues to attract some really fine young men who we get to watch grow up and fulfill their dreams. What a fine example and inspiration to everyone. Way to go Andre.

Reaction Score
As an Orioles fan, I hated that guy.
As an Oriole fan I still hate the Mets. People don’t realize how good those 1969 Orioles were. Frank, Brooks, Boog, Cueller, McNally, Palmer, Earl etc.

Reaction Score
Andre could literally be as good as any other pitcher on the Mets roster right now. They're the most injury-prone group of meatball throwers in the league, and those that DO pitch take the (already lackluster) offense out of the game before they even get an at-bat.
They’re not as injury prone as Jacob DeGrom.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Not as far fetched as some may think. Steve and his wife Alexandra live in Greenwich and donate huge sums to organizations in the area, including $20 million to Stamford Hospital and $5+ million to rebuild Stamford’s Mill River Park and create the Cohen Skating Center - a beautiful ice rink in the middle of downtown.

I’m good with that.

Rather than waste his money on losing to the Braves for another 25 years, spend it wisely!

Reaction Score
Maybe because they lost in 5 games.
Doesn’t mean the Orioles were not a great team. I don’t get your response. I know the Mets won in 5. Sometimes the better team does not win. Just ask the Bruins

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
As an Oriole fan I still hate the Mets. People don’t realize how good those 1969 Orioles were. Frank, Brooks, Boog, Cueller, McNally, Palmer, Earl etc.
I sympathize. Childhood memories of the Dodgers sweeping the Yankees 4 straight in the 1963 World series. Yankees had won 104 games in a 154 game season. The Yankees scored exactly 4 runs in 4 games! They ran into Koufax, Drysdale and Podres in their prime. Koufax had 15 K's in one game. Lesson I learned: Good pitching beats good hitting. I would always root for the American League in the Series because I really despised the National League during that era. In truth they had better players overall (Aaron, Mays, Banks, Clemente etc.).

I also remember the Baby Birds Orioles with their pitching in the early 60's.

1963 World Series Game 1, Dodgers at Yankees, October 2​

1963 World Series​

Game 1, October 2
LAD5Final
NYY2
Game 2, October 3
LAD4Final
NYY1
Game 3, October 5
NYY0Final
LAD1
Game 4, October 6
NYY1Final
LAD2

Reaction Score
And yet they still have a better record than the Yankees or Sox….

Reaction Score
I sympathize. Childhood memories of the Dodgers sweeping the Yankees 4 straight in the 1963 World series. Yankees had won 104 games in a 154 game season. The Yankees scored exactly 4 runs in 4 games! They ran into Koufax, Drysdale and Podres in their prime. Koufax had 15 K's in one game. Lesson I learned: Good pitching beats good hitting. I would always root for the American League in the Series because I really despised the National League during that era. In truth they had better players overall (Aaron, Mays, Banks, Clemente etc.).

1963 World Series​

Game 1, October 2
LAD5Final
NYY2
Game 2, October 3
LAD4Final
NYY1
Game 3, October 5
NYY0Final
LAD1
Game 4, October 6
NYY1Final
LAD2

The baby Birds. Wally Bunker, Steve Barber, Chuck Estrada, Jack Fisher. Yes I go way back and know my 1960’s baseball. Lived and died with those Oriole teams. Then I fell in love with a certain basketball team in Storrs.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

1963 World Series​

Game 1, October 2
LAD5Final
NYY2
Game 2, October 3
LAD4Final
NYY1
Game 3, October 5
NYY0Final
LAD1
Game 4, October 6
NYY1Final
LAD2

I was too young to remember but always heard about that series (the O's you referred to basically returned the favor to the Dodgers in 1966).

A couple of points:

The season was 162 games in 1963 (reason for Maris' asterisk in 1961).

To make room for Joe Pepitone, the Yanks sent Moose Skowron to the Dodgers before the season. IIRC, Skowron had more RBI's in the series than the Yankees.

You are absolutely correct, pitching is by far the most important part of the game.

Reaction Score
Anybody have info on a day for the Sox game? Might have to go if it’s another day game

Sick Puppy

Remember, you wanted this.
Reaction Score
Not as far fetched as some may think. Steve and his wife Alexandra live in Greenwich and donate huge sums to organizations in the area, including $20 million to Stamford Hospital and $5+ million to rebuild Stamford’s Mill River Park and create the Cohen Skating Center - a beautiful ice rink in the middle of downtown.
Unless the guy was struck by lightning and had his DNA reallocated, criminals are not a good look for us.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Doesn’t mean the Orioles were not a great team. I don’t get your response. I know the Mets won in 5. Sometimes the better team does not win. Just ask the Bruins
That Mets team was clicking on all cylinders by the the time the post-season rolled around. They smoked the Braves in 3 straight, scoring 27 runs. And the strength of that team was the pitching not the hitting. The O's were probably lucky to win that one game.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The baby Birds. Wally Bunker, Steve Barber, Chuck Estrada, Jack Fisher. Yes I go way back and know my 1960’s baseball. Lived and died with those Oriole teams. Then I fell in love with a certain basketball team in Storrs.
Or, as we Mets fans at the liked to call him when he was on our roster: Fat Jack Fisher.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
That Mets team was clicking on all cylinders by the the time the post-season rolled around. They smoked the Braves in 3 straight, scoring 27 runs. And the strength of that team was the pitching not the hitting. The O's were probably lucky to win that one game.
The O's underestimated Al Weis.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom