UConn Men 37th in Average National Attendance | The Boneyard

UConn Men 37th in Average National Attendance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Actually, it wasn't a drop-off. We were 40th last year with an average of 10,134. Slight bump to 37 with a 10,687 average. Not sure, though, how much those numbers are inflated by the AAC tourney.

Reaction Score
Take out the 4 AAC Tourney Games and the NIT game vs. Arizona State, the total attendance would have been 169,269 for 15 games. That's an average of 11,284, which would put us at 34.

So there was definitely a championship bump.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Winning draws fans. Don't be surprised if we stay the same or go slightly up this year.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think those are good numbers. Gampel only seats 10,000 so i guess the key is filling the XL center when we have games there. But to the point of some other posters, UCF or Tulane won't get 16,000+ fans to come out on a snowy winter evening...

Reaction Score
It's hard to blame the conference when Wichita State, UNLV, Dayton, New Mexico, BYU, and Creighton are all ahead of us.

Our fan base just isn't as big as some of the other big time programs. It is what it is.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's hard to blame the conference when Wichita State, UNLV, Dayton, New Mexico, BYU, and Creighton are all ahead of us.

Our fan base just isn't as big as some of the other big time programs. It is what it is.
Maybe, I'm sure the readily available telecasts have an impact as well.

Reaction Score

It's actually pretty consistent with where we've been the last few years.
Year - Rk - G - Attend. - Avg.
2015 - 37 - 20 - 213,738 - 10,687
2014 - 40 - 18 - 182,416 - 10,134
2013 - 34 - 16 - 171,644 - 10,728
2012 - 26 - 17 - 214,873 - 12,640
2011 - 32 - 17 - 196,671 - 11,569
2010 - 34 - 19 - 222,024 - 11,685
2009 - 28 - 16 - 200,284 - 12,518
2008 - 32 - 17 - 202,082 - 11,887

When you only factor true home games (11,284), we actually put up our best numbers since 2012.

Reaction Score

but those schools weren't playing in the big east before

Reaction Score

You could blame our arenas. Without looking it up, let's say we had 10 games at Gampel and 10 at XL. Gampel holds 10,167; XL holds 16.294. That means if we sell out every game, we average about 13,200 per game. We couldn't possibly be better than about 24th on the list.

Dook is #47, behind Wake Forest. Does that mean their fan base sucks?

What would be more instructive is sellout percentage, or percentage of capacity actually filled.

That said, the last few years we've had some ugly attendance numbers and optics at some of our home games, and that needs to turn around if we're going to make a case for P5 inclusion.

Reaction Score
You could blame our arenas. Without looking it up, let's say we had 10 games at Gampel and 10 at XL. Gampel holds 10,167; XL holds 16.294. That means if we sell out every game, we average about 13,200 per game. We couldn't possibly be better than about 24th on the list.

What would be more instructive is sellout percentage, or percentage of capacity actually filled.

That said, the last few years we've had some ugly attendance numbers and optics at some of our home games, and that needs to turn around if we're going to make a case for P5 inclusion.

I'm certainly not insinuating that our fan base sucks. Your point on capacity is a valid one, but strictly by the eye test, UConn still doesn't quite hold up to some of the other programs - I can recall at least a few big games over the last few years where we did not fill the building.

I'm sure there are mitigating factors here - there were the sanctions, the Calhoun retirement, and then the conference realignment debacle. For the most part, you have to credit the fan base for weathering that storm.

My only point is, we're probably on the second or third tier as far as fan base size is concerned.

C

Chief00

Actually, now with the fan bar I think XL is now about 15,500 for a sell out

Reaction Score
Actually, now with the fan bar I think XL is now about 15,500 for a sell out

It's around 15,800-15,900. The fan bar removed a little more then 500 seats but it has seating for 150. Net loss of around 400.

Reaction Score
If Gampel were larger, the attendance would be greater. Paid attendance, that is, and students. The problem is with the eye-test. There are a lot of tickets sold, particularly in the "big-money" sections, that don't get used, especially for ordinary weeknight games.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

I'm going to suggest those schools are not located between the likes of NYC and Boston

while UConn is the only game in the state, CT residents have a lot of options for entertainment dollars (and nobody gets excited about our location either)

I have to believe a school like UNLV gets a lot of road fans :)

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
I know we have XL and Gampel... but Gampel only holds like 10,100 people. So if we are averaging a sell out for every game there, how can we complain? Duke is #47...arena size is definitely a factor
I've been a Gampel season ticket holder for 5 years now, we certainly don't sell out every game there, not even close... why isn't our attendance better? Our fan base is relatively spread out, and like it or not Yarders, the vast majority of UConn fans are too lazy or don't care enough to drive an hour or 90 minutes to the average (ie non top 25) game. I know that makes it sound like our fans don't care enough to actually get out and support the team (I have a lot of friends who are die hard fans but would never actually drive an hour to Storrs), but it is what is is.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
I've been a Gampel season ticket holder for 5 years now, we certainly don't sell out every game there, not even close... why isn't our attendance better? Our fan base is relatively spread out, and like it or not Yarders, the vast majority of UConn fans are too lazy or don't care enough to drive an hour or 90 minutes to the average (ie non top 25) game. I know that makes it sound like our fans don't care enough to actually get out and support the team (I have a lot of friends who are die hard fans but would never actually drive an hour to Storrs), but it is what is is.
I guess I can't witch without at least offering my thoughts how we could do better:

- better OOC opponents. I have a hard time giving away tickets when we are playing Maine.

- improve the in game experience. Intros and the last ten minutes before tipoff seem like a funeral. I really wonder if anyone could just record crowd decibel levels off of everything they do and keep doing what works, and stop what kills enthusiasm... shouldn't it be that easy?

- better OOC oppenents!!!

- can we learn to dim the lights or do anything with post 1964 lighting technology?

- give the students more seats, as well as seating on the sidelines. Better overall stadium experience = crowd has more fun. Especially at the Civic, the way the students are seated is a joke.

- put more top quality games at Gampel.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
It's around 15,800-15,900. The fan bar removed a little more then 500 seats but it has seating for 150. Net loss of around 400.

Pretty sure it is a 500 seat net loss. They don't sell seats for the bar so everyone there has a regular seat plus the one they are taking in the bar.

Reaction Score
If Gampel were larger, the attendance would be greater. Paid attendance, that is, and students. The problem is with the eye-test. There are a lot of tickets sold, particularly in the "big-money" sections, that don't get used, especially for ordinary weeknight games.

Look at New Yankee Stadium on most week night games, not many folks pony up money for the behind home plate seats and it looks ugly on TV.

Reaction Score
I have this problem. My dad has had Gampel tickets since the place opened and even when they were in the Big East it was tough for us to get people to drive up to Storrs from the shoreline when it wasn't a big game.

Reaction Score
I guess I can't witch without at least offering my thoughts how we could do better:

- better OOC opponents. I have a hard time giving away tickets when we are playing Maine.

- improve the in game experience. Intros and the last ten minutes before tipoff seem like a funeral. I really wonder if anyone could just record crowd decibel levels off of everything they do and keep doing what works, and stop what kills enthusiasm... shouldn't it be that easy?

- can we learn to dim the lights or do anything with post 1964 lighting technology?

- give the students more seats, as well as seating on the sidelines. Better overall stadium experience = crowd has more fun. Especially at the Civic, the way the students are seated is a joke.

- put more top quality games at Gampel.

They are doing some big renovations on Gampel and I think the lighting is part of it. Most places don't even dim the lights there are retractable shades that go over them they should be able to get that done. I think that would go a ways toward pre-game excitement. A couple years ago at first night there was an awesome light show with like lasers that made the logo and spelled out UCONN and what not. I mean, my elementary school had that kinda technology in the 90s.

Reaction Score
Something that bothers me about Gampel is the TV camera shows directly on the big money seats that rarely are used in less than premier games. The bleacher side of the second level is usually always packed as those are the cheapest non-student seats. Have the camera on the other side a la Duke.

Reaction Score
They are doing some big renovations on Gampel and I think the lighting is part of it. Most places don't even dim the lights there are retractable shades that go over them they should be able to get that done. I think that would go a ways toward pre-game excitement. A couple years ago at first night there was an awesome light show with like lasers that made the logo and spelled out UCONN and what not. I mean, my elementary school had that kinda technology in the 90s.
Lights were supposed to be replaced this off season
http://www.courant.com/sports/college/hc-uconn-gampel-repairs-0424-20150423-story.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom