UConn men’s basketball guard Jalen Gaffney looking to make big improvement, seize his moment as a junior | The Boneyard

UConn men’s basketball guard Jalen Gaffney looking to make big improvement, seize his moment as a junior

Reaction Score
Nice article on Gaffney. I think for him, it really does boil down to confidence and consistency, he’s shown flashes of being a good player. With some other guys coming in, it is a huge year for him. I think he’ll benefit from having Diggins come in/Andre playing some point, allowing him to play mostly off ball. He’s shown way more aggressiveness and a decent shot when he’s off ball and has time to square up. Sometimes your best options are already on your roster and if utilized a bit differently, we could see a vastly different player. Get him to shoot more threes and attack more, the talent is there. Looking forward to see what he brings this season.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Nice article on Gaffney. I think for him, it really does boil down to confidence and consistency, he’s shown flashes of being a good player. With some other guys coming in, it is a huge year for him. I think he’ll benefit from having Diggins come in/Andre playing some point, allowing him to play mostly off ball. He’s shown way more aggressiveness and a decent shot when he’s off ball and has time to square up. Sometimes your best options are already on your roster and if utilized a bit differently, we could see a vastly different player. Get him to shoot more threes and attack more, the talent is there. Looking forward to see what he brings this season.

Agreed. Gaffney is out of position when playing point. He’s more naturally a good passing scoring guard. He becomes too passive when his priority is getting others involved, but obviously has a lot of talent when it comes to driving the ball, when he does it aggressively.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Gaffney is out of position when playing point. He’s more naturally a good passing scoring guard. He becomes too passive when his priority is getting others involved, but obviously has a lot of talent when it comes to driving the ball, when he does it aggressively.
He had some solid games down the stretch, they need him to be aggressive. And his 3 point shot is solid when he has time square up properly. I’m not expecting him to shoot 40% from 3, but even if he can hover around 36-37% while increasing his attempts quite a bit, that’ll be huge.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'3-point range, going 26.4 percent and 36.2 his first two seasons'
They’re coming in, they want to play. I came in, I wanted to play and I ended up playing. They’ve got to work or that. I’m going to make it hard for them.”
bring it! jmoney, indeed.

'we gonna rock down to electric avenue, and then we'll take it higher.'

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’ve seen it enough times, but it would be great to read a piece someday titled “ Jones expect to ride the pine again after bad summer.” Every year everybody is going to be great after impressive summer workouts that would make an NBA All star team faint. Usually we see modest improvement. People always reference Hilton because he was so rare. I hope Gaffney shows a major improvement. I just expect a more nuanced one.

Reaction Score
It’s his time to be a consistent contributor or the young guys will take his spot in the rotation.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It’s his make it or break it year. He has the athleticism to be a very good player but he needs to unleash whatever I’d holding him back. I would love to see him have a sparkling season because if he does it will make other strive harder.

Reaction Score
but is he ready to unleash his above the rim athleticism?
With that phrase being said last year, we should be seeing that this year since he is not in the shadows of JB. (Obviously he showed it in practice last year or else that would not have been said by coach H), I think the wing is perfect for him to showcase his athleticism. He has a nice stroke from beyond the arc, he has shown that he can slash to the basket, (better lane gaps at the wing) but he was not aggressive the majority of the time. When he is aggresive he is a different player. Not facilitating at the point should open things up for him. But he was steady when he was running the point but to a fault at times. When we need to settle things down we know who we can turn to also along with RJ and Sool. Hoping he unleashes this year.

Reaction Score
With that phrase being said last year, we should be seeing that this year since he is not in the shadows of JB. (Obviously he showed it in practice last year or else that would not have been said by coach H), I think the wing is perfect for him to showcase his athleticism. He has a nice stroke from beyond the arc, he has shown that he can slash to the basket, (better lane gaps at the wing) but he was not aggressive the majority of the time. When he is aggresive he is a different player. Not facilitating at the point should open things up for him. But he was steady when he was running the point but to a fault at times. When we need to settle things down we know who we can turn to also along with RJ and Sool. Hoping he unleashes this year.
he’s going to unleash some deep thoughts on the bench.

Reaction Score

K Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
WARNING!!

Master of the Obvious:. The better and more effectively Jalen plays this year the easier it is for UConn to reach its goals.

A good, assertive Jalen makes UConn better in half court offense and transition hoops.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I’ve seen it enough times, but it would be great to read a piece someday titled “ Jones expect to ride the pine again after bad summer.”
Perhaps you'd find it "great," but I'd have no interest in such an article and wouldn't read it.
but is he ready to unleash his above the rim athleticism?
It looks as though your second comment provided your answer to the question you posed in your first comment.

I see nothing to suggest that you even desire to improve during the off-season in your role as a fan, which strikes me as a lesser ambition than Gaffney's. So far, it's as though you'd prefer to punch down on a college kid. I'd say that you have some work to do.

I root for you and Jalen to perform at your best in the coming season.

Reaction Score
Perhaps you'd find it "great," but I'd have no interest in such an article and wouldn't read it.

It looks as though your second comment provided your answer to the question you posed in your first comment.

I see nothing to suggest that you even desire to improve during the off-season in your role as a fan, which strikes me as a lesser ambition than Gaffney's. So far, it's as though you'd prefer to punch down on a college kid. I'd say that you have some work to do.

I root for you and Jalen to perform at your best in the coming season.
I see nothing to suggest that you even desire to improve during the off-season in your role as a message board poster, which strikes me as a lesser ambition than mine. So far, it’s as though you’d prefer to punch down on an internet troll. I’d say that you have some work to do.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I see nothing to suggest that you even desire to improve during the off-season in your role as a message board poster, which strikes me as a lesser ambition than mine. So far, it’s as though you’d prefer to punch down on an internet troll. I’d say that you have some work to do.
Lies No GIF

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

We will see. We have enough depth now that guys who are not producing will find themselves back on the bench. By the same token they will be in a position to go hard and be motivated to make things happen.

I have no idea what will happen with Gaffney. I do think he’s talented enough to have an important role next season.

Reaction Score
Gaffney is the classic jack of all trades master of none. Good ball handler. Good assist man. Decent three point shot. Can get to the rim. Okay defender.

That makes him valuable. But he would make a bigger impact if if he truly excelled at one of those things.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I’ve seen it enough times, but it would be great to read a piece someday titled “ Jones expect to ride the pine again after bad summer.” Every year everybody is going to be great after impressive summer workouts that would make an NBA All star team faint. Usually we see modest improvement. People always reference Hilton because he was so rare. I hope Gaffney shows a major improvement. I just expect a more nuanced one.
Better chance of Gaffney being a first team AA than your ludicrous football predictions

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom