UConn men’s basketball coach Dan Hurley signs contract, extends for one year due to self-imposed sanctions | The Boneyard

UConn men’s basketball coach Dan Hurley signs contract, extends for one year due to self-imposed sanctions

Reaction Score
UConn men’s basketball coach Dan Hurley signs contract, extends for one year due to self-imposed sanctions

>>Hurley’s contract, paying roughly $3 million per year in base salary and other compensation, now expires on March 31, 2025. So in addition to the boost of UConn’s move from the American Athletic Conference to the Big East, Hurley now has an extra year to turn the program around after three consecutive losing seasons, including a 16-17 finish this past season, his first.

Under the terms of the deal, Hurley would owe UConn a buyout of $6 million if he were to leave before March 31, 2020. The buyout number de-escalates to $4.5 million in 2021, $3.5 million in 2022, $2 million in 2023 and zero after April 1, 2023. If Hurley were to be terminated without cause before March 31, 2023, he would get 100 percent of remaining base and supplemental salary, 75 percent if he were terminated before March 31, 2024, and 50 percent after that.<<

Reaction Score
Not loving that buyout de-escalation, but what are you gonna do. I know we'd take care of him if he completes the turn-around.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm not like that lump sum buyout. Have we learned nothing?

CL82

Reaction Score
it's pretty standard...
Doesn’t mean I have to like it. There’s no reason why getting fired she put you in a better position financially than keeping your job. If you’re going to do the lump sum payment, Take the present value of the cash stream of payments over the remaining lifetime of the contract and give the person who is fired a choice to take the discounted lump sum or get paid at the regular pace.

Reaction Score
No big deal. If he doesnt do well hes gone and it shouldn't turn into a KO type mess. If hes successful we have him for the duration of the contract because unless he has insane level of success (multiple F4s, National title) hes not leaving for another job which would be in the NBA and he sure as heck isnt going to get offered the Duke job.

Reaction Score

>> and zero after April 1, 2023. If Hurley were to be terminated without cause before March 31, 2023, he would get 100 percent of remaining base and supplemental salary, 75 percent if he were terminated before March 31, 2024, and 50 percent after that.<<
I’d think the rapid drop in buyout is necessary with the UConn history of claiming cause on firing and not paying termination. Buyout is traded for termination, and it’s hard to believe there is any real benefit in the termination payment.

Reaction Score
Is it a coincidence that Hurley signed his contract after UConn formally announces the move to the Big East? Could Hurley have been told that UConn would try to move to the BE when he was hired? By not signing his contract, Hurley kept his options open. Interesting questions.

Reaction Score
UConn in the Big East is a final destination job in college. We’re not a Cincinnati where a coach will bolt to a UCLA type for the pedigree. The only move we’d have to concern our future selves with would be to the NBA, but if Hurley is getting NBA offers that means we probably have 6 rings

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Doesn’t mean I have to like it. There’s no reason why getting fired she put you in a better position financially than keeping your job. If you’re going to do the lump sum payment, Take the present value of the cash stream of payments over the remaining lifetime of the contract and give the person who is fired a choice to take the discounted lump sum or get paid at the regular pace.

Sure you can do that, but a contract is a negotiation. Take the standard buyout away that all coaches have written into their contracts and you're going to have to give up something else instead.

Reaction Score
Is it a coincidence that Hurley signed his contract after UConn formally announces the move to the Big East? Could Hurley have been told that UConn would try to move to the BE when he was hired? By not signing his contract, Hurley kept his options open. Interesting questions.
Hurley said that there was no talk about the Big East when he was hired and he didn't even know the last few weeks that UConn was talking to the Big East. He found out the same way we did (I think I saw that in the Andy Katz podcast).

“My first question when I met with President [Susan] Herbst and [athletic director] Dave Benedict was about the conference situation,” Hurley said, “because from the outside it doesn’t seem like a great fit, UConn and the AAC. But I took the job under the assumption that I was going to coach in the AAC.”

“I didn’t get any type of tip-off that this was coming,” Hurley said, after the press conference broke up. “This was like a Christmas surprise.”

CL82

Reaction Score
Sure you can do that, but a contract is a negotiation. Take the standard buyout away that all coaches have written into their contracts and you're going to have to give up something else instead.
Like a de minimus provision on NCAA violations?

Reaction Score
Remember when injuries put Christian Vital as our PG for a stretch? Jesus couldn't have coached that team to a W.

Someone's salty

You have to love the posting of a tweet from basically a bot account that bought followers (always look at number of “followers” versus actual interactions with tweets) that hates everything. Trolling, but not even dong it well. Happy Sunday!

Also, not a UConn fan, so no, probably doesn’t remember.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Sure, there’s always risk with these types of contracts and, given recent history, there’s reason for apprehension. At the same time, given the market, it’s almost necessary in order to attract a coach you’d actually want running your team. There’s also room for negotiation, if necessary, in most (but not all, we know) of these situations. No one really thinks Chris Mullin “stepped aside” for personal reasons. They still negotiated a buyout.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's the thing. I'm always leery for these long contracts because I've seen them end badly... a lot.

jimmy serrano is banned but these clowns thrive. amazing.

Reaction Score
I guess this was pretty standard. When I first saw the headline I thought it was an extension beyond the NCAA penalty clause and figured it was another boneheaded move by our Athletic Department to extend a guy before he actually accomplished anything.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom