UConn means something. This is how Dan Hurley made it matter again | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn means something. This is how Dan Hurley made it matter again

Reaction Score
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, If Andre can work on turning those 10+ floater into pull up mid range jumper and/or attacking the rim more often this upcoming summer off season, he is lottery bound after junior year.
This is his junior year.

You're right, though, that his biggest deficiency is his inability (unwillingness?) to attack and finish at the rim if it's not a dunk.

Reaction Score
It's a cute quote, but I think we know the real reason he isn't in the NBA is because he wasn't remotely close to being drafted in the first round. If he is back next year, it's also because he wasn't going to be drafted in the first round.

Regardless, it's awesome to see the kid so invested in the program. He's a winner.
Hence the "" classification. It's a gratuitous fantasy, but (or should I say therefore?) it's fun to look at!

Reaction Score
The Athletic started to advertise so costs have come down (I think I pay $1 a month for 6 months). When it was first started, the subscription was on the high side so they didn't have to sell advertisements. Obviously, under the NYT ownership, they have different ideas for how to monetize the content (probably a smart thing since the reason The Athletic sold itself in the first place was because it wasn't able to achieve profitability under the no-advertising model).

The one thing that sucks is that since Charlotte left, they haven't replaced her. And I'm not sure they will. Good for the local beat writers but stinks from a national perspective. Hope they get a full time UConn writer again!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Certainly possible, though I'm not sure Andre ever showed the scoring prowess Wilson showed the last couple years before the breakout season. I imagine a successful senior season for Andre would involve him getting a bit more comfortable taking 3s, and adding some finishing at the rim with confidence.
He's smaller and definitely isn't as good a scorer, inside or out. I think Wilson takes way too many shots, so I guess they have that in common along with rebounding like animals. Wilson lost his freshman year to injury, or his breakout could have sooner than late last year.

Andre can hit a 3, you just don't actually want his volume to be high. We really need him to go to rim and not settle for the highest degree of difficulty shots when he does. But I'm not sure you're going to get the Pistol Pete out of his game around the rim. You can see it, Andre just doesn't make most of them.

Reaction Score
Remember Dre's freshman year. He threw the ball all over the place trying to make spectacular plays. But it taught him how to become a great distributor.

This year it's three point shooting. I think he will develop a pretty good outside shot because of his his wiliingness to take them this year. It is his process.

The next step in his evolution will be attacking the basket. He has to add this to his game. But it won't happen until he commits to it. Currently, he gets into the lane to create. When he set his mind to getting into the lane to score, when he becomes eager to it, that is when he will become an all around offensive player.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
FYI, It's $1.99 for a month. Let me add my highest endorsement to the rest here.
Just to clarify, I'm endorsing the artcle. The Athletic's OK at $1.99 a month.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Looked like the basketball Unabomber. “I’m one-part European soccer manager and one-part Dutton Ranch farmhand,” he said. We still have no idea what that means, but Hurley is undoubtedly a man of multiple identities.”
multiple identities? that's like pro football. if u have 2, or more, starting qb's, u typically end up with having zero, and may just end up on the couch, wondering what does it all mean.
i really, really, really, do not enjoy my hoops pals across the land hanging that 'why is ur coach so whiny? what's he so mad aboot? why does he always see things that are not there?' label on me.
i have no clue what an 'european soccer manager' does, or even is.
as i understand it, dutton ranch has something to do with a fictional tv show.
he should have gone with bonanza. that's real and ben cartwright owns it all.
day by day, work or play,
ready side by side.
come on friend, welcome in,
the gate is open wide.

no brain hurting, constant emotional make believe trauma, in this show.
just real life, typical for the time and place, hassles.
get 'em, hoss! whip out the glock, and flat blast the bad guys!

A lot of times I genuinely have no idea what you’re trying to say.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Remember Dre's freshman year. He threw the ball all over the place trying to make spectacular plays. But it taught him how to become a great distributor.

This year it's three point shooting. I think he will develop a pretty good outside shot because of his his wiliingness to take them this year. It is his process.

The next step in his evolution will be attacking the basket. He has to add this to his game. But it won't happen until he commits to it. Currently, he gets into the lane to create. When he set his mind to getting into the lane to score, when he becomes eager to it, that is when he will become an all around offensive player.
Past game or two he’s shown more of a willingness to drive. I don’t think he’s made it all the way to the rim, but you can see flashes of it lately. He’s gonna figure it out. Look out.

Reaction Score
Regarding The Athlietic, no thanks.
  • There are too many things I am required to pay for already
  • I went to the site a few times and it jacked up my browser each time
  • very first paragraph suggests michigan state is a blue blood?
  • $1.99/month for 12 months, $7.99/month thereafter
  • Unless Tom can get a Boneyarder/The Athletic combo sub

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Regarding The Athlietic, no thanks.
  • There are too many things I am required to pay for already
  • I went to the site a few times and it jacked up my browser each time
  • very first paragraph suggests michigan state is a blue blood?
  • $1.99/month for 12 months, $7.99/month thereafter
  • Unless Tom can get a Boneyarder/The Athletic combo sub

Your third point is extreme nitpicking. A stray curious comment in an otherwise excellent article.

Reaction Score

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
The Athletic is top notch and well-priced. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong.
One of the worst decisions in the early internet days was the over-reliance on the advertising model, which led to the devaluation of print media and the proliferation of clickbait articles (do it for the engagement!).

The fact that we're arguing that $2/mo. is "not worth it" for good journalism is kinda crazy IMO. Even at $79, it's like a Starbucks coffee each month. People used to pay for multiple newspaper subscriptions at a higher cost than this.

Reaction Score
From the article, not sure if this is based on new or old information:

"Sophomore forward Samson Johnson has pro upside, but has spent the season dealing with a foot injury. He’s slated to return in roughly two weeks, bringing some needed defense and rebounding."

That would be Jan 25 against Xavier, a game where his presence would be particularly valuable. If we could sneak him in on Jan 22 vs. Butler first that would be nice.

Reaction Score
Good article. Nice job embedding with team and Hurley. The Athletic does some good work.

So sad, a 20 years ago that would have been an SI feature story. Right now, in current media landscape, Athletic is only outlet that can even attempt that story.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom