Uconn Mcdonalds All Americans? | The Boneyard

Uconn Mcdonalds All Americans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hey i know this has come up on here in the past but who were the Mcdonalds all americans that Uconn has had? I know Kemba and Oriaki were but i didnt start following recruiting that much until a few years ago. I know its not that many which is a credit to Calhoun for being able to develop players and having a good eye for talent.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure AO was our last one.

Reaction Score
Taliek, Hazelton, Gay, Villanueva, Oriakhi, Kemba, Marshall, Rip, Khalid and 1 other who I cant remember

Reaction Score
Taliek, Hazelton, Gay, Villanueva, Oriakhi, Kemba, Marshall, Rip, Khalid and 1 other who I cant remember

As the above poster noted it's those 9 plus Corny Thompson. Calhoun's had 10 McDonald's AA's and put 23 kids (24 including Kemba) in school. Actually Corny wasn't really his recruit and Alex is still in school so it's more like 8 McDonald AA's and 24 NBA-ers, or 3 NBAers per McD's AA. Pretty unreal ratio.

Also, another interesting (and kind of random) note is that each National Championship team has had 2 McD AA's (Hamilton/El Amin, Taliek Brown/Villanueva, Kemba/Oriakhi)

Reaction Score
AD, Caron, DD and others were all highly ranked enough to be McD.

Reaction Score
Hey i know this has come up on here in the past but who were the Mcdonalds all americans that Uconn has had? I know Kemba and Oriaki were but i didnt start following recruiting that much until a few years ago. I know its not that many which is a credit to Calhoun for being able to develop players and having a good eye for talent.
Donyell was one.

Reaction Score
i still dont get how hazelton was a mcdAA. he was terrible. he did nothing at uconn then i believe he transferred and was never heard from again. hes the only one that wasnt productive in his time here.

Reaction Score
Hazelton got it largely because the event was held in Boston that year and he was local (he was only rated about 50th in his class). He was also a guy who was a top-20 level recruit as a sophomore in HS and maybe had a better reputation then, but he had peaked physically early. He was a dominant player in 9th and 10th grade when few people his size had his skills. When other people in his class caught up to him in later years, he became a lot more ineffective, and in college he was just average - the sort of guy who could shoot a little, rebound a little, pass a little, but wasn't great in any one skill and really had no role to fill. It sounds mean to say "jack of all trades, master of none", but that was kind of what he was.

Reaction Score
Hazelton got it largely because the event was held in Boston that year and he was local (he was only rated about 50th in his class). He was also a guy who was a top-20 level recruit as a sophomore in HS and maybe had a better reputation then, but he had peaked physically early. He was a dominant player in 9th and 10th grade when few people his size had his skills. When other people in his class caught up to him in later years, he became a lot more ineffective, and in college he was just average - the sort of guy who could shoot a little, rebound a little, pass a little, but wasn't great in any one skill and really had no role to fill. It sounds mean to say "jack of all trades, master of none", but that was kind of what he was.
Neil Fingelton, the 7-6 center from Holy Name in Worcester who went to UNC and then transferred to Holy Cross, was a McD's AA for the same reason. Both ended up not being that good in college but at least Hazelton transferred to URI and had a big impact there. Fingelton couldn't even get off the pine at Holy Cross.

Reaction Score
Here's an interesting question. Which team would win, JC's Burger AAs vs JC's Non-Burger NBAers (plus projected NBAers on the team that weren't McD AAs)?

Reaction Score
Based on the below, I'll take the All Wendy's team! :)

McD Roster:

1 - Khalid (Best natural floor general, defensive liability, so although he starts he won't necessarily get more minutes than Kemba, the first PG off the bench.)

Backups: Kemba first off the bench for instant offense to play both the 1 & 2, not implying Kemba gets less minutes than KEA even though I gave him the start. Taliek (I included TB since he was a McD AA, though I realize he didn't make teh NBA) for spot duty off the bench.

2 - Rip (Primary 2G who can also slide to the 3 when needed.

Backups: Kemba slides over to the 2 when he and Khalid are on the floor together. It's interesting that UConn has not had many McD AA guards.

3 - Gay gets the start although he never lived up to his potential here at UConn. His best days were long after in the NBA.

Bench: Rip or Donyell sliding over to the 3 when Gay is on the bench

4 - Donyell gets the 4 spot since I want Rip, Gay and him on the floor starting off the game and the fact that UConn's only prototypical 4 McD AA is Oriakhi who we need at the 5.

Backups: Villanueva the first big off the bench best suited for the 4.

5 - Oriakhi who is a combo 4/5 is our best option at the 5.

Backups: Charlie would have to slide into the 4 spot but is really not a center.

Not making the team: Hazelton

Let's take a look at the All UConn Wendy's team:

1 - Bazz, yeah, I know there's no guarantee he'll make it to the league, but let's go with it. The way he's playing now, he sure looks like he's headed in that direction.

Backups: Ricky, Ollie, Smitty

2 - Ray, who else?

Backups: Ben, Tate

3 - Caron

Backups: Daniels (Not yet in the NBA but I'd be shocked if he doesn't make it), Burrell

4 -Boone

Backups: Hilton, Donny Marshall

5 - Emeka

Backups: Drummond (No doubt future NBAer), Hasheem, Jake, Travis

Note: I would have included the following very good college players but they didn't play in the NBA or have yet to and aren't clear cut to make it, since that was the criteria I used: Freeman, Doron, Nadav, Adrien, Denham, Shad, Olander, Boatright (I think once he plays, he'll show he belongs above.)

I'm sure I'm missing some that belong above.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Based on the below, I'll take the All Wendy's team! :)

McD Roster:

1 - Khalid (Best natural floor general, defensive liability, so although he starts he won't necessarily get more minutes than Kemba, the first PG off the bench.)

Backups: Kemba first off the bench for instant offense to play both the 1 & 2, not implying Kemba gets less minutes than KEA even though I gave him the start. Taliek (I included TB since he was a McD AA, though I realize he didn't make teh NBA) for spot duty off the bench.

2 - Rip (Primary 2G who can also slide to the 3 when needed.

Backups: Kemba slides over to the 2 when he and Khalid are on the floor together. It's interesting that UConn has not had many McD AA guards.

3 - Gay gets the start although he never lived up to his potential here at UConn. His best days were long after in the NBA.

Bench: Rip or Donyell sliding over to the 3 when Gay is on the bench

4 - Donyell gets the 4 spot since I want Rip, Gay and him on the floor starting off the game and the fact that UConn's only prototypical 4 McD AA is Oriakhi who we need at the 5.

Backups: Villanueva the first big off the bench best suited for the 4.

5 - Oriakhi who is a combo 4/5 is our best option at the 5.

Backups: Charlie would have to slide into the 4 spot but is really not a center.

Not making the team: Hazelton

Let's take a look at the All UConn Wendy's team:

1 - Bazz, yeah, I know there's no guarantee he'll make it to the league, but let's go with it. The way he's playing now, he sure looks like he's headed in that direction.

Backups: Ricky, Ollie, Smitty

2 - Ray, who else?

Backups: Ben, Tate

3 - Caron

Backups: Daniels (Not yet in the NBA but I'd be shocked if he doesn't make it), Burrell

4 -Boone

Backups: Hilton, Donny Marshall

5 - Emeka

Backups: Drummond (No doubt future NBAer), Hasheem, Jake, Travis

Note: I would have included the following very good college players but they didn't play in the NBA or have yet to and aren't clear cut to make it, since that was the criteria I used: Freeman, Doron, Nadav, Adrien, Denham, Shad, Olander, Boatright (I think once he plays, he'll show he belongs above.)

I'm sure I'm missing some that belong above.
Marcus Williams at pg.

Reaction Score
You'd just have to decide if Cliffy counts - played for JC, but wasn't recruited by him. I also think Kemba has pretty much blown past Khalid for the starting 1 on the McD's team. Perhaps someone could disagree, but in my opinion, if you look at every one of Khalid's positive traits (intangibles, leadership, floor-generaling, clutchiness), Kemba passed him last year. And Kemba has a big edge in athleticism, defense, rebounding, being in shape enough to play five games in five days (or 40 minutes).

Reaction Score
AJ or MW should start. For that team, I'd pick MW (even though, at his best, AJ was better). AJ was better at scoring. With the firepower of that team, MW's passing would be awesome.

Reaction Score
Wow! I completely forgot about AJ & MW. They would get the nod over Bazz & the rest.

And Uncle Cliffy should count. I forgot about him. Makes even a stronger case for the All UConn Wendy's team, doesn't it?

Reaction Score
Could throw in Adrien as a back-up four on the Wendy's team too. Although he was in your "not included" list, he did stick with the Warriors for a while (i.e. beyond a 10-day contract).

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
No AJ?
Dogmania asked who he missed. I gave him MW. Forgot about AJ. Would put him before SN or MW.

Reaction Score
When you see all our Wendy's AAs, there really is no reason to get worked-up about recruiting. Emeka, Ben Gordon, Shabazz, J.Lamb all were players ranked in the bottom quarter of most Top 100 players lists. There are only a handful of "can't miss" freshman each recruiting class and we're hardly ever in the mix for those types of players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom