Uconn MBB vs Tennessee Lady Vols | The Boneyard

Uconn MBB vs Tennessee Lady Vols

Reaction Score
As a fan of college basketball both men and women’s , I frequent The Boneyard and other boards including Vol Nation. And I must say our men’s board and the Lady Vols are very similar in many ways.

I’ll just point out the obvious and that’s the fact that both head coaches are not very liked at all and both fans can’t wait for a change. I can say though that I do think the Vols are in a better situation than our men’s because they still bring in high level recruits.

Reaction Score
As a fan of college basketball both men and women’s , I frequent The Boneyard and other boards including Vol Nation. And I must say our men’s board and the Lady Vols are very similar in many ways.

I’ll just point out the obvious and that’s the fact that both head coaches are not very liked at all and both fans can’t wait for a change. I can say though that I do think the Vols are in a better situation than our men’s because they still bring in high level recruits.
But our guys would probably still win.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun's successor won a National Championship -- Pat Summitt's has not.
Very true. He won his first year with all Calhoun's recruits. Since that time, he's run the program much further into the ground than Warlick has, who continues to recruit gangbusters, even if her coaching leaves something to be desired. Ollie would be long gone if not for the expensive buyout in his contract. That is not the case with Warlick. The AD has no reason to fire her regardless of what kind of buyout her contract has (if any)...

I believe his current contract runs thru 2021. The hope right now is that the current NCAA investigation into recruiting violations currently underway uncovers something that is a "fire-able" offense so they can dump him.

Reaction Score
The UConn athletic directors have me worried.

They never thought that Edsall might leave UConn (common happening everywhere else) and did not have a plan ready to replace him.
And they availed of every opportunity to make it worse.
They gave an expensive contract to Kevin Ollie without anything in return so far.
We are very lucky that Geno is still coaching. When he retires, the UConn ADs will do their best to run down the WCBB program at Connecticut.

Jim

Reaction Score
He won his first year with all Calhoun's recruits.
No, it was his second year at the helm. The first year was the suspension year. But I do take your point. He hasn't been able to get the top recruits to come and stay at UConn, and he keeps trying to run a pro-style offense without pro-level talent.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Very true. He won his first year with all Calhoun's recruits.
Second year, after a post season ban when a lot of players had transferred out, with two guards who didn't love each other. That NCAA run included wins over #2 seeded Villanova, #3 seeded Iowa State, #4 seeded Michigan State, #1 seeded Florida, and Kentucky in the championship game. That's wins versus Wright, Izzo, Donovan and Calipari. Don't sell it short. Holly has done nothing that even vaguely approaches that.

Reaction Score
It doesn’t matter that they were mainly Calhoun’s recruits, Ollie still won a championship! Do Holly win with Pat’s recruits? Uhhhhhh I don’t think so. He still had to coach them!

Reaction Score
The UConn athletic directors have me worried.

They never thought that Edsall might leave UConn (common happening everywhere else) and did not have a plan ready to replace him.
And they availed of every opportunity to make it worse.
They gave an expensive contract to Kevin Ollie without anything in return so far.
We are very lucky that Geno is still coaching. When he retires, the UConn ADs will do their best to run down the WCBB program at Connecticut.
They knew he was going to leave soon...it was reported numerous times that Georgia tech among others were after him. He stayed a year longer because of the death of jazz...

Reaction Score
Yes Coach Ollie was that championship but which team has a brighter outlook? Tennessee has a team full of good recruits and unfortunately we can say that about our men and their future outlook

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom