UConn may compete in Spring | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn may compete in Spring

Reaction Score
This should be a lesson that group think is powerful social force that can distort the judgment of the best intentioned. Lots of folks flying under the banner of “science” when the don’t know the first principles of it.. hypothesis, measurement and repeatability. They confuse expert opinion (hypothesis) with fact. The data says it’s relatively safe. Many experts said was safe. But, too many were invested in their own narrative to actually practice what they preach. The UMichigan President is classic as was the PSU expert who got his data wrong. The greatest sin of all is pride and refusing to admit when you’re wrong. UConn needs to reverse course.
The problem is that in the real world people have to make decisions before tests can be conducted. You mocked those that made decisions based on limited data and expert opinion and then declared, based on limited data and expert opinion, that it is safe. Hardly scientific. If you want science we are in the process of seeing it play out. You have some executing the test scenario (playing) and some as a control group (not playing). Only after the fact will you be able to draw appropriate scientific conclusions.

C

Chief00

This should be a lesson that group think is powerful social force that can distort the judgment of the best intentioned. Lots of folks flying under the banner of “science” when the don’t know the first principles of it.. hypothesis, measurement and repeatability. They confuse expert opinion (hypothesis) with fact. The data says it’s relatively safe. Many experts said was safe. But, too many were invested in their own narrative to actually practice what they preach. The UMichigan President is classic as was the PSU expert who got his data wrong. The greatest sin of all is pride and refusing to admit when you’re wrong. UConn needs to reverse course.
Excellent post.

C

Chief00

The problem is that in the real world people have to make decisions before tests can be conducted. You mocked those that made decisions based on limited data and expert opinion and then declared, based on limited data and expert opinion, that it is safe. Hardly scientific. If you want science we are in the process of seeing it play out. You have some executing the test scenario (playing) and some as a control group (not playing). Only after the fact will you be able to draw appropriate scientific conclusions.
You can do both - play and make appropriate adjustments as you go. We do that in business 24/7.
UConn there is no shame in reversing course. The shame occurs if you hold to an untenable position against the facts on the ground. Identifying and responding favorably to change isn’t a Randy strongpoint.

Last edited by a moderator:

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I dont think players did not want to play I feel they wanted to protect they’re eligibility. They should of made some effort to pull off a 8-10 game season especially now since kids won’t lose they’re eligibility now. They should look into throwing something together now. Seems to be working out for 98 percent of the NCAA

How do you know that? My guess is most the players wanted to play as that is how athletes think is playing and competing.

Reaction Score
You can do both - play and make appropriate adjustments as you go. We do that in business 24/7.
UConn there is no shame in reversing course. The shame occurs if you hold to an untenable position against the facts on the ground. Identifying and responding favorably to change isn’t a Randy strongpoint.
We also cancel investments or furlough resources when operating doesn't make sense. The least successful businesses are often the ones that refuse to cut bait and continue lines that limp along because no one wants to make the tough call. In this case we might be able to play a half-assed schedule of a handful of games while being the on-call substitute cheap hook-up when the big boys can't get the regular date that they actually want to be seen with.......

C

Chief00

We also cancel investments or furlough resources when operating doesn't make sense. The least successful businesses are often the ones that refuse to cut bait and continue lines that limp along because no one wants to make the tough call. In this case we might be able to play a half-assed schedule of a handful of games while being the on-call substitute cheap hook-up when the big boys can't get the regular date that they actually want to be seen with.......
I can’t emphasize enough what an unpopular call this is with the players. There will be consequences and with recruiting as well.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

...says the guy who met with Drummond and touted a zoom call that didn't happen yet, and mocks anyone who reminds him. You were saying?

The cancelation numbers are bad enough to support UConn's position, but you won't admit it.

Reaction Score
I can’t emphasize enough what an unpopular call this is with the players. There will be consequences and with recruiting as well.
The entire team??? Players in how many? Have they all met and in unison griped????

Reaction Score
In this case we might be able to play a half-assed schedule of a handful of games while being the on-call substitute cheap hook-up when the big boys can't get the regular date that they actually want to be seen with.......
[/QUOTE]

You mean avoid the kind of schedule a regional independent will see in normal times?

Reaction Score
Today is September 23 and we have already had 21 FBS football games cancelled/postponed/rescheduled due to COVID and that is without the SEC and Big 10 having played a game. If a second wave of COVID comes, we will see more games cancelled. And, the Big 10 has a 21 day medical leave requirement for anyone who tests positive for COVID so potentially there will be many more games disrupted.

Teams in the AAC have had 11 games cancelled so far including a few AAC conference games. In total AAC teams have 12 wins and losses so far this year so the cancelled/postponed/rescheduled rate is close to 50%.

I'm in favor of playing sports right now, especially town and youth sports, but college sports are a unique challenge due to the social nature of college life. The NBA/PGA/MLB/WNBA/NFL have shown us that sports can be played safely with the appropriate safety measures, but it seems difficult to implement the safeguards for college football teams due to the number of people involved, living arrangements, and the college environment. Some schools will handle COVID better than others. Given how UConn is an independent, I find it hard to see how they could have completed a schedule this year, but I am in favor of playing a game against UMass this fall.

C

Chief00

The more teams that choosing to play in the fall means fewer teams willing to play in the spring.
The Spring schools are basically the ones that screwed up Fall football and that’s a diminishing number.

C

Chief00

Today is September 23 and we have already had 21 FBS football games cancelled/postponed/rescheduled due to COVID and that is without the SEC and Big 10 having played a game. If a second wave of COVID comes, we will see more games cancelled. And, the Big 10 has a 21 day medical leave requirement for anyone who tests positive for COVID so potentially there will be many more games disrupted.

Teams in the AAC have had 11 games cancelled so far including a few AAC conference games. In total AAC teams have 12 wins and losses so far this year so the cancelled/postponed/rescheduled rate is close to 50%.

I'm in favor of playing sports right now, especially town and youth sports, but college sports are a unique challenge due to the social nature of college life. The NBA/PGA/MLB/WNBA/NFL have shown us that sports can be played safely with the appropriate safety measures, but it seems difficult to implement the safeguards for college football teams due to the number of people involved, living arrangements, and the college environment. Some schools will handle COVID better than others. Given how UConn is an independent, I find it hard to see how they could have completed a schedule this year, but I am in favor of playing a game against UMass this fall.
The point is the social nature of college continues irrespective of playing football, so why not play it? No one is dying from doing that.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

With the SEC and B1G getting ready to kick off their seasons, the ratio of games played to miss will increase. Waiting it out til the end of September or beginning of October was done to minimize having those early September games cancelled. Plus, these bigger conferences have more resources to test aggressively and avoid some of the contamination we all highly suspect has happened and is happening at lower end D1 schools.

Reaction Score
I get what you're saying, but that legal part also plays a factor in all of this. The "what ifs".... What if a player who's been playing dies suddenly from it out of nowhere? What if a player contracts it, is quarantined for the alotted time then, unbeknownst to anyone, ends up being an asymptomatic carrier, brings it home to mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, and they suddenly die? These are the extenuating factors we, as a society still have to take into account unfortunately...

Reaction Score
I get what you're saying, but that legal part also plays a factor in all of this. The "what ifs".... What if a player who's been playing dies suddenly from it out of nowhere? What if a player contracts it, is quarantined for the alotted time then, unbeknownst to anyone, ends up being an asymptomatic carrier, brings it home to mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, and they suddenly die? These are the extenuating factors we, as a society still have to take into account unfortunately...
Fair comment. I would just caution that perspective and context is being lost. Players die almost every year in summer camp, and sometimes are severely injured on the field with permanent debilitating consequences. If, tragically, a COVID 19 player death did occur it would be a statistical rarity within that cohort and likely resulting from some unknown comorbidity, much like players that die from hidden heart defects. As for asymptomatic infection, the exposure risk would be less than in the normal population due to repeated testing and control protocols. Ironically, the immediately vulnerable people are the coaches because of age , but they want to play and are willing manage the risk.

Reaction Score
In this case we might be able to play a half-assed schedule of a handful of games while being the on-call substitute cheap hook-up when the big boys can't get the regular date that they actually want to be seen with.......

You mean avoid the kind of schedule a regional independent will see in normal times?
[/QUOTE]
Hardly. The schedule we'd get this season is in no way comparable to what UConn has been able to assemble for coming years. Look at Army's schedule this year - 3 FCS, 2 CUSA and 2 Sunbelt. UConn has P5s booked for the next 6 or 7 years with a fair number at home.

Reaction Score
If true, it’s all about doubling down to do damage control on one of the dumbest decisions in UConn Athletics History - cancelling the football season.

And the dumbest - going independent in football.

Reaction Score
I disagree..I would rather watch us play Clemson, Purdue, Vandy and other P5 teams than play Tulsa and East Carolina year in..year out..with no exciting games to look forward to.. Ever...
We were a misfit for the American and most of the games were not of any interest to the UConn fan base.
Besides UCF and Memphis and maybe Cincy I thought it was a schedule with teams I could care less about., Ole Miss would have been more exciting than any of the AAC games we played.,
Our recruiting is better since we’ve gone Indy and our new kicker McFadden has said that playing better teams was a factor in him committing.. And I know our players are happy to be playing these better schools.. Now let’s look forward to 2021 and winning some games!!
And the dumbest - going independent in football.

Reaction Score
How do you know that? My guess is most the players wanted to play as that is how athletes think is playing and competing.
What I was getting at is they wanted to play but they may have been miss led. Possibly being told we may only have 3 games and that may have led them into saying they didn’t want to play. Losing your eligibility over three games when you had the option to sit out and not lose a year may influence they’re decision. I bet if you were to re ask every player if they’d want to play a 6 game schedule now without losing a year they’d be thrilled to play

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom