UConn/Maryland analysis - better late than never! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn/Maryland analysis - better late than never!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
PONY: like your turtle pic there.....sure wish I had the confidence that you ALL seem to have going in against a ranked team (even a seriously depleted one). Any time Our Girls take the floor, i feel a degree of the pre-game feelings I had as a player....including some trepidation and tension, along with a sense of wanting to leave nothing to chance and wanting nothing in the tank at the buzzer.

At the same time, my HOPE is that we cream em (certainly not saying we won't; just hoping we will).....both now and as a player, I'm not among those who have to see a close game when our team is involved.....just want to see great and unselfish basketball, sportmanship, and a score-board thumping of the oppostion.

By the way, not many of you intrepid souls have given your score predictions????

Amen, Winlots...you are just describing the necessary hormonal flow to peak for the game...when you lose it, then you have problems. My take is that our ladies have it in spades...something about their gene pool and the Geno Pool! ;)

Reaction Score
.Re: Stewart/Hawkins matchup, Stewart led PanAm team in rebounds as a high school junior. Only player in "games" to average more than Stewie was Erika DeSouza.

And if you've seen Erika up close...she's a force...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
MEYERS = good and interesting data. Suprising on the rebounds, eh, with the size we bring this year.
A couple reasons. We don't have a "rebounder". It's more of a collective effort. Some teams have a player or two who are gonna go get every rebound. We don't. (Stokes is about the closest.)
Two, we are shooting so well right now that there probably are not as many opportunities. However one would think the Opponents FG% being so low, would make up for it?? But also combined I think is our defense which causes cause somewhat less shot attempts by the opponents. e.g. running down the shot clock, steals, turnovers.

Reaction Score
A couple reasons. We don't have a "rebounder". It's more of a collective effort. Some teams have a player or two who are gonna go get every rebound. We don't. (Stokes is about the closest.)
Two, we are shooting so well right now that there probably are not as many opportunities. However one would think the Opponents FG% being so low, would make up for it?? But also combined I think is our defense which causes cause somewhat less shot attempts by the opponents. e.g. running down the shot clock, steals, turnovers.

MEYERS - all good points again; at the same time, there have already been a number of games where, from my vantage point at games and at home, we have done a disappointing job (I'll go so far as to say VERY disappointing) on preventing second and third shots (and a few times even more) at the defensive end.

Re Stokes, have been even more impressed than ever with her shot-blocking, specifically.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
MEYERS - all good points again; at the same time, there have already been a number of games where, from my vantage point at games and at home, we have done a disappointing job (I'll go so far as to say VERY disappointing) on preventing second and third shots (and a few times even more) at the defensive end.
I agree. It irritates me to no end (although I can't do anything about it), to see UCONN play 29 sec of great defense, force up a terrible shot and then give up the offensive rebound and have to start all over again.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Read a quote somewhere that Geno said if the team gives up 20 offensive rbs. tonight they will be in trouble. Sounds like he made rebounding a point of emphasis this week.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Kelly as a shooting guard. Who woulda thunk it?

Reaction Score
Last night's televised game between UL and UK was really ugly because it was just trap, hack, foul, turn it over, and repeat. If Maryland was healthy I think this would have been a free flowing game with two teams that like to get up and down and play a good brand of basketball. Due to injuries I don't think that will happen, but I prefer these matchups more than the UK UL variety where the game is in the 40s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom